Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional forum header for the Suggestion Box.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Strop micron order?

Re: Strop micron order? 1 year 6 months ago #5938

• ApexGS
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
Uh oh, you're already falling down the rabbit hole :lol:

You'll probably end up with lots of cheap knives to work on, I know I'm always picking up the bargain bin blades at auctions and yard sales. Even dad is bringing home knives when he finds them cheap! It's amazing what a great edge can do on even the cheapest of blades. I have a feeling I'll have quite the selection of razor sharp pieces to sell on the cheap at the next gun show!

Have fun and enjoy the pursuit of that perfect mirror edge :)
Your friendly neighborhood gunsmith!
- Tom
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Strop micron order? 1 year 6 months ago #5942

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
Kelly,
Is this what you are looking for?

www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=c...31:general&Itemid=46

It is in the FAQ, you get to it under the resources tab from the main page.
It has been up there for at least a year, likely much more. It is quite useful as it has small micrographs of what the scratches for each grit actully look like.

Phil

KellyCurtis wrote:
Thanks for the info, guys. So many stones, so many strops, so many tubes of pastes, and not enough time in the day! With just the basic pro pack 1 and one evening I am extremely impressed at my results. My other strops and paste should be here by friday giving me all weekend to mess with my WE. As a suggestion for marketing, I'd still do a list from the roughest stones to the finest paste/stop combo. Plus it would give me a clear list of where my money will be going!
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Strop micron order? 1 year 6 months ago #5943

• KellyCurtis
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
That is the one! I noticed it was done in 2011, and I'm sure Clay has more insight as of now. I'd like to see an updated one with the new line up of paddles and sprays, just listed in order of what WE sells. The pics are also a huge help, but I'm sure it's a pain to go through the hassle of taking pics between steps and then listing them on a webpage.
Guilty as charged!

Re: Strop micron order? 1 year 6 months ago #5944

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
Last modified Feb 2012.

Grits are grits. They don't change with time...usually. Just curious about what insight you mean? Most of the insights that the group have had are documented in the thousands of posts on the board.

I did not look close enough to see if the microfine ceramics are there, but I think everything else is.
What exactly are you looking for?

I think that a better way for you to understand what is in the kits is to look at the different discussions by people that have used the equipment and look at the numerous photo esssays that Clay has done. In fact, Clay has documented in many articles many progressions with photos between each grit, and even to the point of showing the effects of different substrates. It would be impossible to do this for severy possible progression given the number of variables. This is all available on the foorum if you care to look a bit. Tom has done lots of progressions with micrographs on his BLOG at jenendeindustries as well. I can't imagine how anyone would have the time to put all of that information into a single chart. The charts of this kind that I have seen in all cases have been no more than a quick reference. The one at the link I sent is better than most... I think it is up to the buyer to know what they want and what they are ordering. This takes research, not simply looking at any one chart. Just my thoughts, as I have spent litterally tens of hours on many different web sites doing research before I order anything. I have never depended on a single vendor's charts or marketing info to give me instant gratification for an exhaustive discription for any purchase .

All meant to be friendly advice only...

BTW, You could volunteer to update the chart for Clay... make it what you want it to be and learn something along the way...
:)
I hope you are ready to write a large book while taking 100s of hours to document it all with photos and update it at least weekly based on new input from the forum! It would be a great resource though.

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by PhilipPasteur.

Re: Strop micron order? 1 year 6 months ago #5951

• KellyCurtis
  • Fresh Boarder
I know we are talking knives and just knife sharpening here, but I spend 15 years in the abrasives industry before I changed careers. Grit is not grit, unless you have two of the same abrasives on the same substrate. Then you get into synthetic abrasives and now what may have the same "grit" will have substantially different results. Now I'm the customer, not the research dept. Not everyone is a knife nut who has days to watch every "expert" on youtube who thinks they are a great show host, or time to read every blog. As a marketing tool, a simple list, that you don't have to look for, that has every paddle, strop, paste and spray sold by WE in order isn't asking anyone to do hours and hours of research on. The photos help, but they aren't even necessary. This entire thread came about because I bought my stuff on Amazon and clicked over here looking for what else to buy and had to read around for it. I got the pro pack first, and was then looking for other items to fill in the gaps between what you get in the kit. That's it, that's all. The list that he did in 2011 just needs to be easier to find because it really does sell the product.

As far as research, another thing that drew me to the WE system was Clay's bog. It's a blog using his system, his products, and his results. I don't have time to go see what the guy over at Apex Pro came up with, or what the guys at Lansky have figure out. Honestly, I wish I did. I don't even have time to research everything before I buy them, hence having some faith in Clay's contraption (I say that in a good way). Eventually I will find time to watch more 19 year olds who need girlfriends who upload videos of them sharpening their favorite knives, but as for now I have to stick to what I know is working. And working incredibly well! But as for me doing hours and hours of work to make a list? Not going to happen.
Guilty as charged!

Re: Strop micron order? 1 year 6 months ago #5953

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
Hey... this is a friendly forum and very low key. I did not intend to challenge you in any way. Each time somebody tried to help you out, you said it wasn't good enough. I was just curious what you wanted or expected.
The chart that I sent a link to is pretty easily found, it is in the same tab that gets access to the forums and listed as a FAQ. The grit comparison is the second item in the FAQ! A FAQ is always a good place to start as it has frequently asked questions... such as yours, answered. This is done to make things easier for people and to help keep the same questions from being asked repeatedly. So the chart was last updated in February 2012. I think it covers about everything now being sold (except maybe the microfine ceramics). The point was that the grits and results for those products haven't changed. No there were not results for every paste or spray on every possible substrate, but if you look in the forums you will find comprehensive answers to what they do with pictures of the results.

As to having a list "that you don't have to look for"... I am curious, how would that be done? Make the grit chart the home page. That would be a marketing coupe for sure...
:)

You mentioned EP and Lansky. Check their sites sometime and see what you get for product descriptions, much less forums with seriously involved users that are there primarily to help other folks out.

I could go on, but in the interest of peace and good will.. I will shut up.

If you have any specific questions that I/we can help with. Just ask.

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Strop micron order? 1 year 6 months ago #5954

• KellyCurtis
  • Fresh Boarder
Wow. You really sound like your not trying to keep the peace. At all. Sorry, my bad for having a question.... You condescending tone, as well as your necessity to post with no apparent offering of real help does no one any good. Especially after the issue had been resolved on page one.
Guilty as charged!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds