Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1200/1600 Ceramic stones cleaning method

Re: 1200/1600 Ceramic stones cleaning method 1 year 11 months ago #5181

• StevenCorpstein
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Probably similar to what I get sharpening plane blades on the Shapton Glass Stones. The water doesn't soak in but helps keep the swarf from glazing over the stone. On the Shapton GS stones, the more you spritz, the better they cut and polish.
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by StevenCorpstein.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 1200/1600 Ceramic stones cleaning method 1 year 11 months ago #5182

• Allgonquin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
I also wet the stones. I take a cup of water and use a small paint brush to wet the stones before I put them on the rods. It takes quite a few swipes of the paint brush before the stones get saturated, they are like sponges as they soak up the water. Finally the water will sit on the surface of the stones and that's when I start to use them. After that point you can rewet them with the brush while on the rods if needed.

After use I just stand the stones on end on my workbench and let them air dry before I put them away.

Rgds,
Allgonquin

Objects in closer are mirror than they appear

Re: 1200/1600 Ceramic stones cleaning method 1 year 11 months ago #5238

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 646
I've been using the spray bottle method with a few drops of dish soap for a long time but lately have also started enjoying keeping a flat bowl with a little water in the bottom and a sponge in there on the far side of my base. I just lay the stone onto the sponge for a moment to refresh the soapy water on it and keep going. The set up takes just a minute more but the workflow is much smoother.
--Clay Allison
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds