Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lapping the Micro-Fine Ceramics

Re: Lapping the Micro-Fine Ceramics 1 year 9 months ago #7211

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
It's mostly the initial usage and to get the aggressiveness right.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: xuzme720

Re: Lapping the Micro-Fine Ceramics 1 year 9 months ago #7214

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
What Curtis said... the ceramic stones are VERY hard. I was suprised and how much I had to work them on a coarse diamond plate to see any difference at all. They should do many , many knives before you would have any dishing.
If you meaure them with a traight edge, and they need flattening, be prepared for some hard work.

BTW, I tried the crosshatching trick to indicate when the stone is flat with a permananet marker. Apparently it penetrates the ceramic.. I never have been able to get it out of the one stone. If you are going to do this, use a pencil...

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Lapping the Micro-Fine Ceramics 1 year 9 months ago #7227

• xuzme720
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Thanks guys!
I was actually wondering if it was just my imagination since my course ultra-fine seemed to be courser than the 1600 stones. I'll try lapping them on my DMT extra fine unless you guys think something courser is necessary.
Particpant in finding out how sharp is sharp!

Re: Lapping the Micro-Fine Ceramics 1 year 9 months ago #7240

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
"My coarse Micro-Fine stones were more coarse than I wanted at the moment, so I took them all the way up to the 1000# diamonds, progressing from the 100# stones up the line. I also have a 3um diamond bench stone that I used to finish and the coarse Micro-Fines were like a whole different set of stones. "
Is what Clay said that he did... in the first post in this thread...

I used the DMT coarse, then DMT fine plates. It seems to me that this put the stone in the corrct sequence with the Other ceramics. It looks that way in the photos I took as well.

I think that if you just use the DMT extra fine plate, you will have to work the stones for quite awhile to make a significant change. You can always try and see how they work on steel.

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Lapping the Micro-Fine Ceramics 1 year 9 months ago #7306

• xuzme720
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
PhilipPasteur wrote:
"My coarse Micro-Fine stones were more coarse than I wanted at the moment, so I took them all the way up to the 1000# diamonds, progressing from the 100# stones up the line. I also have a 3um diamond bench stone that I used to finish and the coarse Micro-Fines were like a whole different set of stones. "
Is what Clay said that he did... in the first post in this thread...

I used the DMT coarse, then DMT fine plates. It seems to me that this put the stone in the corrct sequence with the Other ceramics. It looks that way in the photos I took as well.

I think that if you just use the DMT extra fine plate, you will have to work the stones for quite awhile to make a significant change. You can always try and see how they work on steel.

Phil
I have all of those (course and fine are a double sided) so I will start with the course and run the gamut checking them after the fine and if needed go on to the extra fine.
Particpant in finding out how sharp is sharp!

Re: Lapping the Micro-Fine Ceramics 1 year 8 months ago #7413

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 388
have all of those (course and fine are a double sided) so I will start with the course and run the gamut checking them after the fine and if needed go on to the extra fine.

Dunno what a gamut check is, but sounds interesting...
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds