Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lapping the Micro-Fine Ceramics

Lapping the Micro-Fine Ceramics 2 years 2 months ago #4053

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1801
  • Thank you received: 649
  • Karma: 92
Cliff Stamp has posted elsewhere that these stones definitely benefit from lapping. Today I worked on my set and it made a huge difference. You can easily use the diamond stones in your set to lap your ceramics and depending on which grit you use to finish, you can dramatically alter the way the stone performs. My coarse Micro-Fine stones were more coarse than I wanted at the moment, so I took them all the way up to the 1000# diamonds, progressing from the 100# stones up the line. I also have a 3um diamond bench stone that I used to finish and the coarse Micro-Fines were like a whole different set of stones. I can see where there might be times when I want to add a little texture back to them to give certain knives a little bite, so I'll experiment with lapping on different grit stones and see what comes of it.
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Lapping the Micro-Fine Ceramics 2 years 2 months ago #4056

  • RalphHoneycutt
  • RalphHoneycutt's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 25
  • Thank you received: 3
  • Karma: 3
Clay, This is very helpful. I did not really notice the aggressiveness of the mirco-fine ceramics. I will try it with the higher grit diamond stones. I am very satisfied with the micro-fine ceramics. For my purposes they produce excellent results. If the micro-fine ceramics had been available 6 months ago, I may not have been so determined to buy the Choseras and Shaptons, but I like them all for different reasons. The micro-fine ceramics are the best value (IMO).

Ralph
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Lapping the Micro-Fine Ceramics 2 years 2 months ago #4060

  • StevenCorpstein
  • StevenCorpstein's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 8
  • Thank you received: 1
  • Karma: 0
Ralph,
So are you going from the 1000 grit diamonds to the micro-fine ceramic paddles, or are you using something between them first?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Lapping the Micro-Fine Ceramics 2 years 2 months ago #4061

  • cbwx34
  • cbwx34's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 1260
  • Thank you received: 413
  • Karma: 92
wickededge wrote:
My coarse Micro-Fine stones were more coarse than I wanted at the moment, so I took them all the way up to the 1000# diamonds, progressing from the 100# stones up the line. I also have a 3um diamond bench stone that I used to finish and the coarse Micro-Fines were like a whole different set of stones.

Was just wondering why the lapping progression vs. just lapping on just the finer stone,,, or maybe just the 1000 & 3um?

How much time on each stone did you spend? I'm guessing this doesn't take much?

Any idea how much of the ceramic (thickness) this used?

Thanks!

cbw
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Lapping the Micro-Fine Ceramics 2 years 2 months ago #4062

  • RalphHoneycutt
  • RalphHoneycutt's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 25
  • Thank you received: 3
  • Karma: 3
Steven, After the 1000 grit diamond stone, I use the super-fine ceramics and then the micro-fine. I have not yet tried going directly to the micro-fine ceramics from the 1000 grit. I will give it a try this weekend.

Ralph
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Lapping the Micro-Fine Ceramics 2 years 2 months ago #4065

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1801
  • Thank you received: 649
  • Karma: 92
I started lapping with the 800 grit and it was going well but there were a couple high spots so I decided to knock those off with the coarse stones. I didn't measure before I started and now I wish I had, but I can't imagine I removed more the a couple thousandths judging from the material that came off.
cbwx34 wrote:
wickededge wrote:
My coarse Micro-Fine stones were more coarse than I wanted at the moment, so I took them all the way up to the 1000# diamonds, progressing from the 100# stones up the line. I also have a 3um diamond bench stone that I used to finish and the coarse Micro-Fines were like a whole different set of stones.

Was just wondering why the lapping progression vs. just lapping on just the finer stone,,, or maybe just the 1000 & 3um?

How much time on each stone did you spend? I'm guessing this doesn't take much?

Any idea how much of the ceramic (thickness) this used?

Thanks!

cbw
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Lapping the Micro-Fine Ceramics 2 years 2 months ago #4127

  • cbwx34
  • cbwx34's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 1260
  • Thank you received: 413
  • Karma: 92
I wanted to do a couple more knives before I posted this. I could tell the coarse Micro-fine was more coarse than rated... but as an alternative to lapping, I've been using it after the 1000g diamond, which seems to set up the edge better for the rest of the ceramics. So. I'll go Coarse Micro-fine. --> 1200 --> 1600 ceramics --> Fine Micro-fine... then onto leather (if desired). :-)

Just thought I'd present an alternate use that I'm liking.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Lapping the Micro-Fine Ceramics 2 years 2 months ago #4128

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1801
  • Thank you received: 649
  • Karma: 92
That's exactly what I was doing before I lapped my coarse Micro-fine stones and it worked great. Now that they're all smoothed out, I'll have to see if it still works well in that progression.
cbwx34 wrote:
I wanted to do a couple more knives before I posted this. I could tell the coarse Micro-fine was more coarse than rated... but as an alternative to lapping, I've been using it after the 1000g diamond, which seems to set up the edge better for the rest of the ceramics. So. I'll go Coarse Micro-fine. --> 1200 --> 1600 ceramics --> Fine Micro-fine... then onto leather (if desired). :-)

Just thought I'd present an alternate use that I'm liking.
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Lapping the Micro-Fine Ceramics 2 years 1 month ago #4803

  • Scott Sherman
  • Scott Sherman's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 147
  • Thank you received: 36
  • Karma: 5
what is "um" and how does it relate to grit numbers? I.E. how many um's to a grit or a 100 grit for example or perhaps vice versa? What grit would a stone be to equal a "um" or a fixed quantity of "um's"?

Thanks.
Scott
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Lapping the Micro-Fine Ceramics 2 years 1 month ago #4818

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1801
  • Thank you received: 649
  • Karma: 92
Good question Scott. um is the abbreviation for Micron. Here is a chart that shows how they all compare: Grit Comparison Chart
ScottSherman wrote:
what is "um" and how does it relate to grit numbers? I.E. how many um's to a grit or a 100 grit for example or perhaps vice versa? What grit would a stone be to equal a "um" or a fixed quantity of "um's"?

Thanks.
Scott
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds