Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Wicked Edge forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Breaking in the stones...

Breaking in the stones... 1 year 9 months ago #5591

• RICKLINDSEY
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Trying to get other opinions on this idea.
Read somewhere else that you could break in your diamond stones by doing roughly 15 strokes on each stone by rubbing the faces together just using the stones weight instead of on knives. Such as 100 to 100, 200 to 200 and so on.
I don't have any low dollar knives so this method interests me.
All input appreciated. Thanks in advance
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Breaking in the stones... 1 year 9 months ago #5592

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 598
You can definitely do this though I'd recommend less than 15 passes; maybe 4 or 5. I think you'd be even better served by picking up a low end knife to practice on and break your stones in at the same time. That way, your technique and your stones will develop in tandem and you can pass the knife off to someone who will appreciate it once you've gotten it scary sharp.
RICKLINDSEY wrote:
Trying to get other opinions on this idea.
Read somewhere else that you could break in your diamond stones by doing roughly 15 strokes on each stone by rubbing the faces together just using the stones weight instead of on knives. Such as 100 to 100, 200 to 200 and so on.
I don't have any low dollar knives so this method interests me.
All input appreciated. Thanks in advance
--Clay Allison

Re: Breaking in the stones... 1 year 9 months ago #5596

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 410
Also, remember... there's no reverse... if you decide to do this, and overdo it, there's no going back. Also, rubbing the stones together can cause wear to the plating that holds the diamonds, something that won't occur (as much) if they're broken in on knives.

Re: Breaking in the stones... 1 year 9 months ago #5608

• Scott Sherman
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36
So if I understand this correctly, on a new stone one can expect some of the grit or diamonds that are embedded into the stone will be higher than others causing deeper scratches as they are pulled across the surface of the metal blade, right?

Is the grit or diamonds embedded into another substance that holds them in place like clay or something or is it just a solid block of grit or diamonds pressed together with some kind of bonding substance like glue or something?

And lastly, does the sharpening ability of the stone diminish incrementally once the stone is worn or broken in? Such that a 100 grit stone after a lot of use becomes the equivalent of 400 or 600 grit stone? Or is the grit embedded evenly throughout the width and thickness of the stone all the way to the place where the stone is attached to the metal holder in which they sit so that it will remain a 100 grit stone and always leave a consistent scratch pattern until there is insufficient stone left?

Re: Breaking in the stones... 1 year 9 months ago #5613

• wickededge
  • Administrator
Here is a nice image comparison of an edge after sharpening with some very well worn 600# diamond plates vs some fairly new 600# diamond plates:

600-Old_2012-10-01-2.jpg

The above image is of the edge after 50 strokes with the well worn plates.

600-New_2012-10-01.jpg

The above image is of the edge after 50 strokes with the newer plates.

The images are taken at 2000x magnification.
--Clay Allison
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scott Sherman

Re: Breaking in the stones... 1 year 9 months ago #5614

• wickededge
  • Administrator
The stones are actually steel bar stock, plated with nickel and then plated with the diamonds. As the plates are created, diamonds in the solution seek out a bond with the nickel. An initial base layer forms first and then additional diamonds crowd their way onto the metal forming bonds where ever they can. These extra diamonds are above the plane of the base layer and will cut much deeper scratches until they are knocked off. Additionally, while diamonds are extremely hard, the edges will fracture off during sharpening and the surface will become flatter and smoother.
--Clay Allison
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds