Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Wicked Edge forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: Nano or roo?

Nano or roo? 1 year 11 months ago #5576

  • Rlb
  • Rlb's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • RLB
  • Posts: 30
  • Thank you received: 8
  • Karma: 3
I need a new strop for my 0.125 diamond spray. Interested in the kangaroo leather or the nano cloth. Looking for suggestions?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Nano or roo? 1 year 11 months ago #5577

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1781
  • Thank you received: 645
  • Karma: 91
It seems like the default answer is "It depends..." and this case is no exception. It depends on what you're hoping to accomplish. The roo will give you a much smoother, more polished bevel, so if that's what you're after, then it's the right choice, hands down. If you specifically want .125um micro-teeth at the edge, then you would be better off with the nano-cloth.
Rlb wrote:
I need a new strop for my 0.125 diamond spray. Interested in the kangaroo leather or the nano cloth. Looking for suggestions?
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Nano or roo? 1 year 10 months ago #5580

  • Rlb
  • Rlb's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • RLB
  • Posts: 30
  • Thank you received: 8
  • Karma: 3
wickededge wrote:
It seems like the default answer is "It depends..." and this case is no exception. It depends on what you're hoping to accomplish. The roo will give you a much smoother, more polished bevel, so if that's what you're after, then it's the right choice, hands down. If you specifically want .125um micro-teeth at the edge, then you would be better off with the nano-cloth.

Thanks Clay! Good question one I am not sure I can decide ha!. I like a toothy edge at the apex but I want the beautiful mirror polish on the bevel as well. Is that possible with the nano cloths?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Nano or roo? 1 year 10 months ago #5581

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1781
  • Thank you received: 645
  • Karma: 91
You might try getting a super polished bevel with the roo strops and then adding in a nearly invisible micro-bevel, either with the nano-cloth strops and your choice of abrasives or with the Micro-Fine ceramics. That's what I'm doing with my carry knives because it's important for me to be able to show off a beautiful and hyper-aggressive edge and still be able to use it for everyday tasks. I use my knife constantly and people always want to check out the kind of edge I have on it.
Rlb wrote:
wickededge wrote:
It seems like the default answer is "It depends..." and this case is no exception. It depends on what you're hoping to accomplish. The roo will give you a much smoother, more polished bevel, so if that's what you're after, then it's the right choice, hands down. If you specifically want .125um micro-teeth at the edge, then you would be better off with the nano-cloth.

Thanks Clay! Good question one I am not sure I can decide ha!. I like a toothy edge at the apex but I want the beautiful mirror polish on the bevel as well. Is that possible with the nano cloths?
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch

Re: Nano or roo? 1 year 10 months ago #5587

  • Rlb
  • Rlb's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • RLB
  • Posts: 30
  • Thank you received: 8
  • Karma: 3
Perfect solution bc I already own the micro fine ceramics! great thought!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Nano or roo? 1 year 10 months ago #5647

  • ApexGS
  • ApexGS's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Posts: 163
  • Thank you received: 51
  • Karma: 18
I think I'm going to start experimenting with micro-bevels and try to polish up my Hogue carry knife. I like the toothy edge of the stones for all around cutting. Thus far I only have the contents of the Pro Pack 1 to work with, so I might have to take a couple of very light strokes with the 1000 stone to accomplish this.
Your friendly neighborhood gunsmith!
- Tom
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Nano or roo? 1 year 10 months ago #5648

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1781
  • Thank you received: 645
  • Karma: 91
I think that's a great approach, especially since your stones are already broken in. I bet the results are really nice.
ApexGS wrote:
I think I'm going to start experimenting with micro-bevels and try to polish up my Hogue carry knife. I like the toothy edge of the stones for all around cutting. Thus far I only have the contents of the Pro Pack 1 to work with, so I might have to take a couple of very light strokes with the 1000 stone to accomplish this.
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Nano or roo? 1 year 10 months ago #5659

  • ApexGS
  • ApexGS's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Posts: 163
  • Thank you received: 51
  • Karma: 18
Clay,

While we're on the topic of micro bevels, is there any quick rule of thumb you could share? Something like "3 to 5 degrees works well" or any general guideline. In this case I'm sticking with the factory grind, 22 degrees per side, and want to put that micro bevel on for somewhat heavy duty cutting to last.
Your friendly neighborhood gunsmith!
- Tom
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Nano or roo? 1 year 10 months ago #5660

  • TPeters
  • TPeters's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 18
  • Thank you received: 5
  • Karma: 7
I second the inquiry for a "quick rule of thumb" on a micro bevel.



ApexGS wrote:
Clay,

While we're on the topic of micro bevels, is there any quick rule of thumb you could share? Something like "3 to 5 degrees works well" or any general guideline. In this case I'm sticking with the factory grind, 22 degrees per side, and want to put that micro bevel on for somewhat heavy duty cutting to last.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Nano or roo? 1 year 10 months ago #5663

  • StevenPinson
  • StevenPinson's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Senior Boarder
  • Posts: 49
  • Thank you received: 2
  • Karma: 76
A micro bevel is a application type item. You first really have to know what you are going to do with it. A couple of questions would be: Do I want to push cut? Do I want to slice? or do I want a show blade?

Also, are you putting this micro on a LH or RH knife? A X/Y split? or just a symetrical folder? Are you really wanting a convex edge for the application or a true micro?

All of these things make up and go into the application of the edge. The idea is to get as small of an edge as possible that will do the work (keep all the steel you can).

If you just want a micro to put one on your edge, just pick an angle number higher than your secondary or primary bevel (i.e. 22 Deg gets a ten stroke 5k stone at 25 Deg). Use a scope to tell how the steel reacts, and then go from there (watch for chipping, rolling, and plastic deformation).

Micros are nice on some knives and will work well ... they also can ruin your last thirty minutes of work.
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by StevenPinson.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds