Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Wicked Edge forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Destroyed Strops in 24hours

Re: Destroyed Strops in 24hours 1 year 10 months ago #5219

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
Don't get discouraged DFS... I know it's a bummer that it's not working like you thought it should, but stick with it, and you'll figure it out. Like Leo said, it's tough to diagnose with the limited information, but the suggestions others have given are all good, and one of them is probably the fix you need!

You might consider stropping the belly and tip area separately, work the straight area in one motion, then reset the strops and work toward the tip. This should insure that you're using an "away" motion.

Let us know what works for you... it's all a learning process. And like ApexGS mentioned, the leather may look bad, but will still do its job fine, so don't be too quick to throw them away.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Destroyed Strops in 24hours 1 year 10 months ago #5220

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and advice. I'm definitely going to keep at it with my strops even though I'm missing so big chunks. I am going to order the micro ceramic stones as well. It sounds like I'm putting to much pressure on the strops maybe the stones as well. I'm also going to start working my long knives in 2-3 sections instead of one sweeping motion to see if that helps. I do have a follow up thought, is it possible to have had way to much compound on the leather? I'm removing a lot of green gunk when I use the strops. I also noticed that using an angle cube that 15 degrees in my weps is actually like 13 or 12 degrees. Is that normal? I know the cube is measuring correctly because I checked it's calibration. Sorry for all the newbie questions but this forum was a huge part of why I purchased. Great community growing here

Re: Destroyed Strops in 24hours 1 year 10 months ago #5221

• MathewWhaley
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
It's normal for compound to come off at first, the leather will hold onto just as much compound as it needs. After a few knives it wont leave any on the blade. Rest assured, it doesn't hurt anything.

It's also normal for the angle cube and the WEPS settings to be off a couple of degrees. This is simply because of varying blade heights and thicknesses. Always trust your angle cube, the WEPS settings are just a rough idea of where to be.

Re: Destroyed Strops in 24hours 1 year 10 months ago #5224

• edhead35
  • Expert Boarder
  • Food, Guns, Knives, Music
  • Thank you received: 21
When you strop it should be so light you are barely touching the edge. Make sure the strop is always moving away and go slow.use only a small thin film of paste
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch

Re: Destroyed Strops in 24hours 1 year 10 months ago #5226

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
DeepFriedSouth wrote:
is it possible to have had way to much compound on the leather? I'm removing a lot of green gunk when I use the strops.

It's easy to add too much until you get a feel for it. IMO you're better off under loading and adding a bit as you feel the need.

But eventually it should self level. Just a bit messy until then.
DeepFriedSouth wrote:
I also noticed that using an angle cube that 15 degrees in my weps is actually like 13 or 12 degrees. Is that normal? I know the cube is measuring correctly because I checked it's calibration. Sorry for all the newbie questions but this forum was a huge part of why I purchased. Great community growing here

The true angle will be dependent on the holes chosen for mounting and the width of the blade. I bet the markings rarely ever measure the actual true angle. Imagine two similar knives, one 1" wide, the other 2" wide mounted identically. The 2" knife will have a thinner angle than the 1" even though you haven't moved the arms.

Ken
玉鋼

Re: Destroyed Strops in 24hours 1 year 10 months ago #5228

Thanks guys I'm taking notes. Always trust the angle cube and lighten up on the strops. Now the fun begins, figuring out when I actually have an edge. The first 2 knives I worked on will need lots of work just have to figure out when I've got the edge back and when to start moving on to the next iteration of stones.
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds