Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: diamond vs naniwa super vs ceramic vs shapton etc

Re: diamond vs naniwa super vs ceramic vs shapton etc 1 year 11 months ago #5089

• StevenPinson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
PhilipPasteur wrote:

Interesting thing about the Internet. You get one person that is respected say something, then everybody starts saying the same thing over and over. Yes the common wisdom seems to be that you "NEED" an entire set of stones from the same brand/line or no one can get good results.

Phil you are all over it. :woohoo: The "ART" of sharpening.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: diamond vs naniwa super vs ceramic vs shapton etc 1 year 11 months ago #5091

• jendeindustries
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
PhilipPasteur wrote:
So what does this mean? Well, just because the grit of a plate or stone is listed as, say 800 grit (from your original question) you can't make any assumptins about what it does at the edge. You need to know the actual grit size and type, the binder and design philosphy befor making any decisions about equivalency in your progression. Beyond that, try the stones, use magnification to see what is going on, then test the edge. Just keep in mind, 800 is not always 800 when rating abrasives... :)

Phil

That pretty much sums this whole thing up! B)

The key word here, in my mind, is PHILOSOPHY. All stones arguably work, but it depends on what you want to achieve. Mixing and matching synthetics is generally not done/promoted because you can now get entire progressions within a single series that have a "philosophy" already built in. (we could argue some of them, though!) It makes things easier, which is perhaps the best thing for beginner sharpeners. Of course you can mix and match, but that opens up the door to possibilities, which means "potential for failure" to beginners. :)

However, given the obvious company of more experienced sharpeners on this thread, the growing market of accessory stones gives us many more flavors to choose from. As we're finding out, "grit" is relative, and much like a new cook who follows the recipe precisely vs. an experienced one that alters the recipe to taste, the grit numbers serve as absolutes to newer sharpeners but only as general references to more experienced ones.

Knowing the specific characteristics of a given stone through use and experimentation is the only way to truly find out for yourself. Technique plays a huge role in those results as well. As CBWX pointed out, I like to step backwards on my transitions from the diamonds to the synthetics because I approach sharpening with perfection in mind. However, if you were looking for more robustness, you could simply get a knife plenty sharp by making large jumps that "polish the grooves", and so on and on

That is the fun of this journey, and it's great to see more people taking this journey!
Tom Blodgett
Jende Industries, LLC

My Blog: jendeindustries.wordpress.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34

Re: diamond vs naniwa super vs ceramic vs shapton etc 1 year 11 months ago #5098

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
StevenPinson wrote:
PhilipPasteur wrote:

Interesting thing about the Internet. You get one person that is respected say something, then everybody starts saying the same thing over and over. Yes the common wisdom seems to be that you "NEED" an entire set of stones from the same brand/line or no one can get good results.

Phil you are all over it. :woohoo: The "ART" of sharpening.

The opposite is also true... where that same "expert" will start saying a particular stone (usually a finish stone) is the "must have" stone to get your knife truly sharp. :side:

Re: diamond vs naniwa super vs ceramic vs shapton etc 1 year 11 months ago #5099

• cbwx34
jendeindustries wrote:
Technique plays a huge role in those results as well.

I think it's the most important factor, even on a guided system.

Re: diamond vs naniwa super vs ceramic vs shapton etc 1 year 11 months ago #5101

• cbwx34
PhilipPasteur wrote:
I may just try to find that book... sounds like a good read!

Here's a link to that book I mentioned...

www.amazon.com/The-Art-Japanese-Sword-Po...770024940/ref=sr_1_1

Re: diamond vs naniwa super vs ceramic vs shapton etc 1 year 11 months ago #5102

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
PhilipPasteur wrote:
Some great threads, especially this last one contained some good omparisons. Thanks!

I feel the seeds of obsession starting;)

Related question... How does the "smoothness" of the edge impact durability?

Ken
玉鋼
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds