Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Nano-Cloth Studies - Series 1

Nano-Cloth Studies - Series 1 2 years 2 months ago #4700

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 691
Finally started today with some of the nano-cloth studies. I want to thank Ken Schwartz for generously providing enough nano-cloth strops mounted to aluminum blanks to conduct the study.

I started by preparing a bunch of samples with super polished bevels so we would be able to clearly see the effects of various abrasives. Here is the first sample polished clean (or clean enough):

25um-Clean-Strop-1.jpg

I then used various abrasives on the nano-cloth, hoping to isolate pure abrasives, restoring the edge back to smooth in between each iteration.

Here they are in ascending grit size, fine to coarse:

125-CBN-1.jpg

.125um CBN

5um-CBN.jpg

.5um CBN

5um-Diamond.jpg

.5um Diamond

More to come...
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Nano-Cloth Studies - Series 1 2 years 2 months ago #4701

• wickededge
  • Administrator
1um-Diamond.jpg

1um Diamond - First Round

1um-Diamond-2.jpg

1um Diamond - Second Round

15um-CBN-Suspension-1.jpg

15um CBN
--Clay Allison

Re: Nano-Cloth Studies - Series 1 2 years 1 month ago #4712

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 464
Very interesting results, Clay. Your experiments show us things we could, until now, only speculate about.

The roo strops work as incredibly as they did before. (Assuming roo was used to create the first picture). However, there’s quite a few things I don’t quite understand.
  • The .125 um CBN spay seems to create a regular pattern of tiny scratches, probably like one would expect. However, the .5 um CBN spray doesn’t seem to add a regular pattern of coarser scratches. Instead we see only a few, but quite large scratches.
  • The .5 um diamond spray creates a regular scratch pattern again, as one would expect. However, the 1 um diamond spray hardly seems to create any scratches; at least they seem tinier than the ones created by the .5 um diamond spray
  • The 15 um CBN spray then again works as I expected: a regular pattern of quite coarse scratches.
Have you got any idea what is going on?

What I also wondered is what the effect is of the .25 um spray (I assume) on the roo strops. The edge is almost fully smooth, which I’d attribute to the burnishing power of the (somewhat wet?) roo strops. How come no scratches are visible like they are with the even finer .125 um diamond spray on nanocloth strops? Is the burnishing power of the roo stops so much stronger than the abrasive power of the .25 um spray?
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by mark76.
The following user(s) said Thank You: razoredgeknives

Re: Nano-Cloth Studies - Series 1 2 years 1 month ago #4715

• wickededge
  • Administrator
Thanks Mark - I can't say I was surprised by the results, I've seen them before, but I am still uncertain as to the mechanism. My best guess is as you say - the roo is extremely effective in burnishing the surface, smoothing ridges above what the .25 diamonds it's loaded with are able to cut. I think we're seeing about what I expected from the nano-cloth - straight abrasion consistent with the particle sizes though I'll wait until the bigger objective lens is operable before trying to measure the scratches. I will conduct another test, hopefully tomorrow with plain kangaroo, lightly moistened. If it burnishes effectively without any abrasive compound then I think we'll have part of our answer.
mark76 wrote:
Very interesting results, Clay. Your experiments show us things we could, until now, only speculate about.

The roo strops work as incredibly as they did before. (Assuming roo was used to create the first picture). However, there’s quite a few things I don’t quite understand.
  • The .125 um CBN spay seems to create a regular pattern of tiny scratches, probably like one would expect. However, the .5 um CBN spray doesn’t seem to add a regular pattern of coarser scratches. Instead we see only a few, but quite large scratches.
  • The .5 um diamond spray creates a regular scratch pattern again, as one would expect. However, the 1 um diamond spray hardly seems to create any scratches; at least they seem tinier than the ones created by the .5 um diamond spray
  • The 15 um CBN spray then again works as I expected: a regular pattern of quite coarse scratches.
Have you got any idea what is going on?

What I also wondered is what the effect is of the .25 um spray (I assume) on the roo strops. The edge is almost fully smooth, which I’d attribute to the burnishing power of the (somewhat wet?) roo strops. How come no scratches are visible like they are with the even finer .125 um diamond spray on nanocloth strops? Is the burnishing power of the roo stops so much stronger than the abrasive power of the .25 um spray?
--Clay Allison

Re: Nano-Cloth Studies - Series 1 2 years 1 month ago #4721

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
Not really related to the nano cloth, but is the top sort of bluish area at the top of the bevel the actual edge width, burr, or optical illusion?

Re: Nano-Cloth Studies - Series 1 2 years 1 month ago #4723

• wickededge
  • Administrator
cbwx34 wrote:
Not really related to the nano cloth, but is the top sort of bluish area at the top of the bevel the actual edge width, burr, or optical illusion?

I think that's just a visual artifact.
--Clay Allison
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds