Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: Nano-Cloth Studies - Series 1

Re: Nano-Cloth Studies - Series 1 1 year 10 months ago #4753

  • razoredgeknives
  • razoredgeknives's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 676
  • Thank you received: 269
  • Karma: 38
Very interesting Clay. I find Mark's observations to be on point... hopefully we can figure out what's going on! Thanks for spending the time on the different experiments... you have the dream job! lol, how does your wife ever put up w/ you? :lol:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Nano-Cloth Studies - Series 1 1 year 10 months ago #4757

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1747
  • Thank you received: 596
  • Karma: 91
She hardly does :)
razoredgeknives wrote:
Very interesting Clay. I find Mark's observations to be on point... hopefully we can figure out what's going on! Thanks for spending the time on the different experiments... you have the dream job! lol, how does your wife ever put up w/ you? :lol:
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Nano-Cloth Studies - Series 1 1 year 10 months ago #4787

  • AnthonyYan
  • AnthonyYan's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 100
  • Thank you received: 64
  • Karma: 16
wickededge wrote:
I started by preparing a bunch of samples with super polished bevels so we would be able to clearly see the effects of various abrasives.

Hi Clay,

Fascinating pictures! I'm curious, how did you "super polish" the edge to begin with? :)

Sincerely,
--Lagrangian
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Nano-Cloth Studies - Series 1 1 year 10 months ago #5225

  • BassLakeDan
  • BassLakeDan's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 121
  • Thank you received: 28
  • Karma: 19
wickededge wrote:
.. super polished bevels..
25um-Clean-Strop-1.jpg

..

Clay,

I have been meaning to ask, 1.) what steel is this that you were using for these tests, and 2.) what RC? Just curious ... thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Nano-Cloth Studies - Series 1 1 year 10 months ago #5230

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1747
  • Thank you received: 596
  • Karma: 91
AnthonyYan wrote:
wickededge wrote:
I started by preparing a bunch of samples with super polished bevels so we would be able to clearly see the effects of various abrasives.

Hi Clay,

Fascinating pictures! I'm curious, how did you "super polish" the edge to begin with? :)

Sincerely,
--Lagrangian

I progressed through the usual diamond plates, then on to the Micro-Fine ceramics and then used 1um diamond on cow leather, .5um diamond on cow leather, .25um diamond on kangaroo and then .125 CBN on kangaroo. I didn't spend so much time as to remove every last scratch, just the vast majority.
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AnthonyYan

Re: Nano-Cloth Studies - Series 1 1 year 10 months ago #5231

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1747
  • Thank you received: 596
  • Karma: 91
BassLakeDan wrote:
wickededge wrote:
.. super polished bevels..
..

Clay,

I have been meaning to ask, 1.) what steel is this that you were using for these tests, and 2.) what RC? Just curious ... thanks

I've been using a bunch of utility blades from the same 100 pc pack so that they are very similar. They're listed as "high carbon" though I don't know exactly what the composition or hardness is. If I had to guess, I'd put the hardness around 57-58 HRC.
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Nano-Cloth Studies - Series 1 1 year 9 months ago #5246

  • SvenSchläfke
  • SvenSchläfke's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 12
  • Thank you received: 2
  • Karma: 2
wickededge wrote:
AnthonyYan wrote:
wickededge wrote:
I started by preparing a bunch of samples with super polished bevels so we would be able to clearly see the effects of various abrasives.

Hi Clay,

Fascinating pictures! I'm curious, how did you "super polish" the edge to begin with? :)

Sincerely,
--Lagrangian

I progressed through the usual diamond plates, then on to the Micro-Fine ceramics and then used 1um diamond on cow leather, .5um diamond on cow leather, .25um diamond on kangaroo and then .125 CBN on kangaroo. I didn't spend so much time as to remove every last scratch, just the vast majority.

So you did ship the Super fine 1200/1600 in this case? Did it take you much longer with the next ceramics since you did skip the fist?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Nano-Cloth Studies - Series 1 1 year 9 months ago #5247

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1747
  • Thank you received: 596
  • Karma: 91
SvenSchläfke wrote:
So you did ship the Super fine 1200/1600 in this case? Did it take you much longer with the next ceramics since you did skip the fist?

In this case I did skip them and it took a little longer, but not too bad, partly because my diamond plates are so well worn in now that they're already doing a lot of polishing before I even get to the ceramics.
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Nano-Cloth Studies - Series 1 1 year 9 months ago #5562

  • drmatt357
  • drmatt357's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 18
  • Thank you received: 2
  • Karma: 7
Clay, is this your Dino-Lite 500 you took these pics with?
Regards,
Dr. Matt
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Nano-Cloth Studies - Series 1 1 year 9 months ago #5565

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1747
  • Thank you received: 596
  • Karma: 91
drmatt357 wrote:
Clay, is this your Dino-Lite 500 you took these pics with?

Hey Doc,

These are with the 2000x metallurgical scope though only at 800x. I've only just started getting decent images at 2000x today. I'm hoping to get some more posted next week.
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds