Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Wicked Edge Hard Carrying Case - Think Pelican

Re: Wicked Edge Hard Carrying Case - Think Pelican 1 year 1 month ago #9347

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 102
A second thought. If this fist case only holds the stones that come with PPII then maybe a 2nd case, not as deep, but just as large to hold just stones/strops with a little misc. space for other stuff (paste, tape, etc.)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Wicked Edge Hard Carrying Case - Think Pelican 1 year 1 month ago #9350

• Mikedoh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 84
I vote no wheels.
As far as cost, would like to see the minimum margin you can do without killing yourself. Hopefully under $99.99, but then again, it is what it is.
Don't want to sacrifice quality, but am hoping since we have "partaken of the kool-aid" that a lesser profit margin works . . . . But also realize that there is ~no market for a case other than us addicts . . . . Sigh.

As far as cost, my feeling is to let Jiminy Cricket be your guide, and it is what it is.

Re: Wicked Edge Hard Carrying Case - Think Pelican 1 year 1 month ago #9351

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 306
I vote not wheels, too. But that's partly because I have my own home-made base which is not too heavy. Additional considerations:

- Will the case be able to store the WEPS with the vise attached to the base?
- How many additional stones/strops and other stuff (sharpie, loupe, handle, stropping compounds, ...) can be stored?
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

Re: Wicked Edge Hard Carrying Case - Think Pelican 1 year 1 month ago #9353

• Sauce
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
wickededge wrote:
Sauce wrote:
I think the case is a great idea. My vote would be for no wheels or telescoping handle. Just a standard carry case handle would be great. What would the price range be for either option?

Thanks,
Sauce

Thanks for the feedback Sauce. I'm not sure yet what we can get done on pricing - they're not cheap but the quality is awesome. Do you have a sense of what you feel like a reasonable price is? The company we're working with is trying to make it happen for us and they're much more reasonable than Pelican, but the cases are still expensive.

Price range aroung $100 maybe, probably wouldn't go much higher. Large enough to hold the base with vise installed and all the extras we use with it(loupe, cube, marker, roll of tape,extra stones etc..) would be nice.

Sauce

Re: Wicked Edge Hard Carrying Case - Think Pelican 1 year 1 month ago #9354

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 564
mark76 wrote:
I vote not wheels, too. But that's partly because I have my own home-made base which is not too heavy. Additional considerations:

- How many additional stones/strops and other stuff (sharpie, loupe, handle, stropping compounds, ...) can be stored?

We've get it set to hold all the contents of the PP2 assembled, so room for the sharpener on its base with the vise and rise assembled, 100-1000 diamond plates, micro-fine ceramics, 1.0/0.5 strops, angle cube, 4 additional stone/strop sets, marker, loupe, alignment guide, knife brace etc...
--Clay Allison
The following user(s) said Thank You: mark76, Mikedoh, SleeplessJunkie

Re: Wicked Edge Hard Carrying Case - Think Pelican 1 year 1 month ago #9357

• SleeplessJunkie
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
wickededge wrote:
mark76 wrote:

We've get it set to hold all the contents of the PP2 assembled, so room for the sharpener on its base with the vise and rise assembled, 100-1000 diamond plates, micro-fine ceramics, 1.0/0.5 strops, angle cube, 4 additional stone/strop sets, marker, loupe, alignment guide, knife brace etc...

Sounds to me like it will be worth every penny of whatever price you come up with!

Re: Wicked Edge Hard Carrying Case - Think Pelican 1 year 1 month ago #9364

• pinkfloyd74
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
I vote no wheels, no telescoping handle. It would be nice to have a case that sharpener and all accessories, stones would fit into for storage and transport. Price? You get what you pay for! With something that is custom made its going to be a little pricey, but worth it for what it will hopefully do.

Re: Wicked Edge Hard Carrying Case - Think Pelican 1 year 1 month ago #9371

• FredHermann
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 39
Yes, under $5.00 and can you make it weightless and unbreakable out of polished unobtanium too?
:P

I think many of the answers can be found in the case's final use. Many of us would use it as storage, but some to carry around. In the old days...I had a job for a year as a copier tech, we all had 30lb briefcases full of tools, so that's not an unheard of goal, though I don't think they weigh that much, even with granite base. (they might)
What we always ran into was either the handle broke from the weight, or the base split from setting it down too hard.

So I'd say no wheels, and price...no idea.

cbwx34 wrote:
For me part of it's size as well as weight... if it's not too big, I'd say no wheels. I had a case a few years back you could carry a laptop, small printer, and some books (back when these things were big & heavy)... thing had wheels but it was small enough that rolling it was a bigger PITA then carrying it.

Plus I suspect some will use it more for storage than transportation?

One thing that would be nice... you could pull out your base and set it on top of the case to sharpen?

Oh, and no more than $5.00 :D
“On one otherwise normal Tuesday evening I had the chance to live the American dream. I was able to throw my incompetent jack*ss of a boss from a fourteenth-story window.”

Owen Pitt – Monster Hunter International

Re: Wicked Edge Hard Carrying Case - Think Pelican 1 year 1 month ago #9398

• CharlesTurner
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I don't think that the wheels and handle are necessary especially if it adds to the cost. I have been waiting patiently for some time for my Pro Pack II and want something to pack it away in. I have looked for other options but I would rather get something that is suited just for the WEPS. With the money that has been invested so far I really want this thing to be protected, even if I am taking it with me somewhere. Do you have any idea how long until the deal is finalized?

Re: Wicked Edge Hard Carrying Case - Think Pelican 1 year 1 month ago #9400

• DAUG
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
I vote no wheels, since it shouldn't weigh more than ~25 lbs fully accessorize. Otherwise I question why carry the damn thing to a travel site if it's over that amount in the first place. I've traveled with mine on road trips and it works just fine being carried in a canvas tool bag, but my next travel plans call for a trip overseas and that's where a lockable pelican case would really work for me in that instance.
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds