Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sneak Peak

Re: Sneak Peak 1 year 2 months ago #10814

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 410
PhilipPasteur wrote:
I used a relatively small blade as a sort of worst case scenario.The knife was a Kershaw OD-2. They claim that this blade is 2.25", but the cutting edge is under two inches long. The reason it is "worst case" is that the widest part of the blade maybe 0.5" max. I wanted to see the minimum angle it could get narrow blade.

I ended up mounting the little knife as high as I could in the extension clamp. At that point I could get my angles set to 14.40 to 14.60

Interesting. I was going to ask if a comparison could be made between, "what angle can you reach without the extension, vs. with the extension". Since I have an OD-2, I figured I could answer the 1st part. I thought of this because I made a home made extension a while back, and was surprised that on some of the knives I tried, I couldn't get much lower. I just dismissed it as a poor design (I had cut and screwed pieces of a lansky clamp together... it looked like a poor Frankenstein creation). :oops:

Here's the thing. Just setting the knife as high as possible in the clamp, I can pretty much reach the same angle you're hitting with the extension...

image_2013-04-29.jpg

... tried both sides, cleared the clamp without issue.

So, I'm wondering if the extension might work better for knives that are taller? Maybe you and Ken (and whoever else got one) can make a comparison in that regard.... try the knives you test both with and without the extension.

I'm sure it makes a difference (as evidenced by Clay's photos)... maybe small knives actually isn't the best check though? A comparison of "taller" knives that you mentioned might show a better difference.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: blacksheep25

Re: Sneak Peak 1 year 2 months ago #10815

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 269
Very interesting Curtis... Well I got mine in so I'm planning on getting to it tonight! Will post photos and first impressions when done :-)

Re: Sneak Peak 1 year 2 months ago #10817

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
I was very surprised that I could not get any lower with the extension. This especially after seeing the photos that Clay took.

There is no question that a "taller" (meaning greater distance from edge to spine) would allow use of the attachment to better effect. This could be seen easily by noting what I saw. When the blade was clamped so that the stones would just miss the edge of the jaws when sharpening the part of the blade right by the handle, the stones would hit the clamp when trying to sharpen the tip where the distance from the spins to the edge is less. This was why I had to angle the tip up to sharpen it at all at my chosen angle (without grinding the jaws of the extension away to nothing)..:ohmy:

Once I finish the OD-2, I will clamp it up in the stock vise to see what angle I can achieve.
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34

Re: Sneak Peak 1 year 2 months ago #10821

• Razoredge
  • Senior Boarder
  • Cutthroat Sharpening
  • Thank you received: 8
I just tried a Forshner legging knife, 7/8 wide 5" long and the best I could get without the extension was 14.8 degrees. Using the same settings with the extension I was able to get 9.6 on one side but couldn't clear the top screw on the other. I had to back it off to 10.3 to clear everything. I have a chinese cleaver at 2 5/8 wide that I am going to try later.

Re: Sneak Peak 1 year 2 months ago #10824

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
Did you mean the bottom screw? I found, and Ken also commented, about its length being unneccessarily long. Perhaps there will be a shorter one in the production version, or the option to use a shorter screw when required by the desired angle.
Razoredge wrote:
I just tried a Forshner legging knife, 7/8 wide 5" long and the best I could get without the extension was 14.8 degrees. Using the same settings with the extension I was able to get 9.6 on one side but couldn't clear the top screw on the other. I had to back it off to 10.3 to clear everything. I have a chinese cleaver at 2 5/8 wide that I am going to try later.
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by PhilipPasteur.

Re: Sneak Peak 1 year 2 months ago #10827

• Razoredge
  • Senior Boarder
  • Cutthroat Sharpening
  • Thank you received: 8
No, for some reason I was hitting the width adjustment screw. The blade is very thin (1/16) so the threads of the screw stick out about 1/8. I cleared the bottom screw just fine. Probably because it was tighter to grip the thin blade.

Re: Sneak Peak 1 year 2 months ago #10828

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
Well, I promised some pictures, so here we go.

First the way the unit fits on the main vise. Everything lines up well and it is a very secure fit

Next is the angle cube reading. This is as low as I could go with theis littl knife..
As it turned out, it as lower than I could go. You will notice that the left and right side got abraded quite differently at the same angle setting. Unfortunately I usually look at the right side for a given number of strokes, then stop and look for symmetry etc. I did not know until it was a bit late that the left side was getting hit like it did. Remember, this was with 100 grit and scrubbing strokes. I should have felt it, but did not. The solution was to raise the tip of the blade. I ended up going through the diamonds to 1K and the 4 ceramic levels. The knife is very sharp, though I am not confident it will stay that way for very long... not the greatest teel the Chinese stuff.

I will try a bigger knife in the near future and I will report back with achievable angles and some more photos of the results.

Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by PhilipPasteur.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34, blacksheep25

Re: Sneak Peak 1 year 2 months ago #10830

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
Update...
I just set one of my Spyderco Mules into the extension. The edge directly above the midle of the clamp was 7/8" high. I was able to set 9.4 degrees on the left side, limited by the lower tension screw. With a shorter screw I am sure I could have hit the same 8.2 degrees that I got on the right side. I was using a business card as a feeler gauge between the stone and the upper edge of the extension's jaw on the right. Just a little drag and I called it good. I wouldn't want to be grinding off any more of the jaws...
Of course the left side never got close to the vise... it was hitting the screw, so I did the same thing with the business card between the tension screw and the stone. The above were the numbers that I saw.

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Sneak Peak 1 year 2 months ago #10838

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 269
Had good results with mine! As stated, fit and finish are superb. I could get down to around 8* on one side but only 13-14* on the other side... I need to play around with more knives, as the one I sharpened was a ffg kitchen knife that I didn't tape.... Felt very secure though!

Anyway, I'll post some pictures hopefully tonight with suggestions.

Re: Sneak Peak 1 year 2 months ago #10839

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
The Mule is FFG... I could not get it clamped up so that it would not move...actually move, without using some chamois.
razoredgeknives wrote:
Had good results with mine! As stated, fit and finish are superb. I could get down to around 8* on one side but only 13-14* on the other side... I need to play around with more knives, as the one I sharpened was a ffg kitchen knife that I didn't tape.... Felt very secure though!

Anyway, I'll post some pictures hopefully tonight with suggestions.
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds