Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Small round knives

Small round knives 1 year 2 months ago #11891

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 237
I have a small round knife which is used for cutting leather since I am waiting for my WE what is the method to sharpen one do you do half the knife at a time . I made a jig up for my Edge Pro to sharpen it although in-spite of rotating it on a plinth so a to keep the stone from travelling too far the bevel is probable double at the tips which is probable the opposite of what would be really useful.
Here is a picture of the knife on the jig the top part of the base rotates through 180Ëš but I can see this should be a lot simpler on the WE in fact I imagine it should be really simple .
Who has sharpened them and how?
photo_2013-06-16.JPG
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Small round knives 1 year 2 months ago #11893

• tuffybraithwaite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 120
last week i had a somewhat similar type knife to sharpen, but it was un-mountable in the WE, so i just used the 600 to 1000 diamond paddles on it, but it was chisel grind job.
Attachments:
<"))))><(
The following user(s) said Thank You: EamonMcGowan

Re: Small round knives 1 year 2 months ago #11894

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 200
tuffybraithwaite wrote:
last week i had a somewhat similar type knife to sharpen, but it was un-mountable in the WE, so i just used the 600 to 1000 diamond paddles on it, but it was chisel grind job.

Wow Max I just did the exact knife two days ago! Same handle everything! I couldn't mount it where I felt comfortable either, so I did it on my bench stones. Then stropped it with a strop from strops plus. Now that I think about it I could have used your method (WE paddles) pretty easily. :huh:
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Re: Small round knives 1 year 2 months ago #11895

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 646
I've done lots of round and head knives and they come out really well. I mount them vertically so that the handle sits on the blue base and I do one half at a time, going just beyond the middle so that there is an overlap when I flip the knife around. The leather workers I've sharpened for really like the results.
--Clay Allison
The following user(s) said Thank You: EamonMcGowan

Re: Small round knives 1 year 2 months ago #11896

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
I thought it would be straight forward the round knives need to be screaming sharp especially when cutting channels for invisible stitching or putting bevels on the edges .
I cant wait to get it that sharp since my current method is a little awkward as the knife tends to move out of the jig. It took quite a lot of thought to come up with the solution for the EP it gives a better result than free hand sharpening but nothing like I expect from the WE.

Thanks for the solution

Re: Small round knives 1 year 2 months ago #11900

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
wickededge wrote:
I've done lots of round and head knives and they come out really well. I mount them vertically so that the handle sits on the blue base and I do one half at a time, going just beyond the middle so that there is an overlap when I flip the knife around. The leather workers I've sharpened for really like the results.

I looked at set up in the vise that way, but was scared I would have two bevels? I guess I should have asked on here and got a suggestion? :huh: I think it will come back down the road so it is good to know for next time. Thanks, Clay! :)
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Re: Small round knives 1 year 2 months ago #11903

• BobNash
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
Hey Leo - welcome to the forum, hope you are enjoying your Wicked Edge!

Here's Clay's video - this knife looks to be a bit larger than the one you have so let us know how it works out for you!

Some of the edges I've sharpened on the WE
www.oldawan.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
505-570-2040 (mobile and office)
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by BobNash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PhilipPasteur

Re: Small round knives 1 year 2 months ago #11905

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks for the welcome its almost a week since I ordered my WE pro 11 I live in Spain so I reckon it is going to be somewhere in the region of 2 months before I get it .
I am just paving the way at the moment thanks for the link to the you tube video I noticed that Clay had a round knife on his desk in one of his videos so I thought there would be a solution and there it is simple as said my round knife is smaller than the one in the video so maybe I will need to put a chock under the handle to get the blade in the right place ( I am thinking a block of wood or something around 20mm high will probable do it .

Re: Small round knives 1 year 2 months ago #11907

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 388
Leo, it's off-topic, but if you ever want to buy an accessory: look at the list of international dealers. There's one in France (and I know him as reliable), so that should be a lot quicker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeoBarr

Re: Small round knives 1 year 2 months ago #11909

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
BobNash wrote:
Hey Leo - welcome to the forum, hope you are enjoying your Wicked Edge!

Here's Clay's video - this knife looks to be a bit larger than the one you have so let us know how it works out for you!

Hi Bob, Hey thanks for the video! I learn from watching much better then reading! Now I understand how it is done and actually want to redo it just to see the difference?
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds