Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fitting My Shapton Pro's to WEPS

Re: Fitting My Shapton Pro's to WEPS 11 months 17 hours ago #11124

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
Keep in mind what I said, you can grind or sand off the ridges, then cut the stones to the dimensions that you prefer. The point of doing that rather then being constrained by the ridges is that you can cut the stones to a dimension that will maximize the number you can get from the original stone. A bit of overhang should not hurt anything and it will give you more surface available on the blade.

I am not sure about the AL. There are some that feel that the plastic platens on the WEPS handles are not flat enough. This does not include me, so I won't argue the point.

I used Gorilla glue to glue the stones to the AL and all of the AL parts together, and the bushings in the tubing.

It claims to work with wood, plastic or metal and is waterproof. Follow the instructions, dampen one piece and clamp well. The stuff expands a bunch, so use the minimum to get surface coverage after clamping. It is a bit slow, as you should clamp for at least a couple of hours, and max strength is achieved after 24 hours.
With the handles I posted the picture of, that means at least two days. Once the U channel has been clamped for a couple of hours, the tube can be glued and the whole thing clamped for the required time. Of course, the longevity of the bond may be a question. I can say that I have glued crossover parts on phenolic with this stuff years ago, and it is all still in place years later.

I hit the stones enough to rough them up with my XXC DMT plate. and rinsed well with distilled water before gluing them. You could use 120 grit sandpaper, but make sure any of the abrasive from the paper is removed from the stones before gluing.
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Fitting My Shapton Pro's to WEPS 11 months 2 hours ago #11185

• Diablo_331
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Uh, your gonna need a sharper knife...
  • Thank you received: 2
Everything came in today.

Apparently the platens ship with aluminum glued into them?

IMG_20130523_020515.jpg

I scratched them up a bit. They are, it seems, not perfectly level but that's kinda a moot point. I think lapping them flat, then scoring the surface with the D8XX as Phil suggested will be the best course of action.

IMG_20130523_043124.jpg

My primary concern is how thick the whole setup is going to be once glued together... Especially doubled sided! Maybe i should glue stones to one side of each pair?

IMG_20130523_020859.jpg

Also, im going to cut them to the size of outer edges of the platens. This will leave an inset groove around the aluminum (sandwiched between the plastic platen and the ceramic stone) which i can also fill with gorilla glue in an attempt to reinforce the bond. (I'll have pictures of this later)

Anyways.. Tomorrow im going to build a base for the unit, have the stones cut, glue it all up and begin to reprofile all these knives with the diamond handles.

IMG_20130523_020443.jpg

“When you acknowledge, as you must, that there is no such thing as perfect food, only the idea of it, then the real purpose of striving toward perfection becomes clear: to make people happy, that is what cooking is all about.” -Thomas Keller
Last Edit: 11 months 1 hour ago by Diablo_331.

Re: Fitting My Shapton Pro's to WEPS 10 months 4 weeks ago #11195

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
If you could cut them in half through the thickness first it would be more manageable for the WE paddles and leave you with a stone you could still use by hand..
That is what the guys cutting them for the WE do... or in the case of the ones sold by WEPS, they must cut them in three pieces, then section to fit the platens.

It wouldn't hurt anything to cut the stones a bit oversized. I like the full one inch wide stones. Once you use them for awhile you won't even notice the bulk... at half of the original stone thickness. It would seem that using the full thickness might be a bit much..

Be careful trying to use the Gorilla glue to fill in anything. It expands three to four times its original volume. You will have glue where you don't want it. The glue is a real PIA to remove once it is cured if you have excess too!! If you think there is not nearly enough to start.... you may not have excess once it expands.

BTW, did you buy those handles directly from WEPS or are they from Ken? I have purchased a few sets of blank handles and never had them come mounted with AL plate/strip. By request they would affix strips of the 3M double stick tape for me...

Phil

PS, nice kit. The diamonds might be getting close to being broken in by the time you re-profile all of them..
:)
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 10 months 4 weeks ago by PhilipPasteur.

Re: Fitting My Shapton Pro's to WEPS 10 months 4 weeks ago #11202

• Diablo_331
  • Fresh Boarder
yikes. The platens came directly from wicked edge. I think they will be a bit large but not overly heavy once they are affixed with the stones. I'm more interested in the use life of the platens than a profit margin, so I'm gonna skip sashimi the stones ( although abrasive WJ would makes this almost too easy- 1mm kerf no burs no cleanup)

As for the gorilla glue. oh god i've been there lmao. that being said its nothing a die grinder cant zip off in a second! just dont breathe the dust.

Three of those knives are gerber balance plus 1401 from the 80's that i dont think have ever been sharpened. Incredible knives, i have no idea what steel is in them but they're tuff as hell. I could feel the diamonds breaking in just putting the basic profile on them.\\ Unfortunately they were doing a big job at the WJ shop today so im gonna try again tomorrow with that.
“When you acknowledge, as you must, that there is no such thing as perfect food, only the idea of it, then the real purpose of striving toward perfection becomes clear: to make people happy, that is what cooking is all about.” -Thomas Keller

Re: Fitting My Shapton Pro's to WEPS 10 months 4 weeks ago #11204

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
Keep in mind, with stones that thick you will need to make major angle adjustment compared to any of the stock WEPS pieces. There could be some angles that you couldn't duplicate because you run out of base rod length. Granted that should not happen too often, only in the high twenties or more... but it is a potential.

Me, my die grinder, and plastic do not work well together... much less trying to get the damn glue off of the stones. Too much likelihood of a an irreparable mess being the result. A fine file for the plastic and 600 grit wet and dry for the sides of the stones. Takes too much time, but doesn't piss me off when I look at the results.

:)
As you have access to the Water Jet... I would seriously think about as you say doing a "sashimi" on the stones.
It will leave you with a serviceable bench stone and more manageable paddles... both should last for lots of sharpening...lots!

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Fitting My Shapton Pro's to WEPS 10 months 4 weeks ago #11209

• Diablo_331
  • Fresh Boarder
When I go back tomorrow I'll discuss the price of cutting the stones in half. this would yield me 6 (!) 143mm x 23mm x 7 mm out of each stone!

Im going to use gorilla glue epoxy instead of standard gorilla glue. It shouldn't have that massive expansion factor.

I think longer rods are on my ASAP list. Knives such as my scimitar. I want to create and edge that tapers from the hilt to the tip of the blade without having to unclamp it.

Re: Fitting My Shapton Pro's to WEPS 10 months 4 weeks ago #11217

• cbwx34
  • WE Stonehenge?
  • Thank you received: 390
TekMiami wrote:
Im going to use gorilla glue epoxy instead of standard gorilla glue. It shouldn't have that massive expansion factor.

I've glued stones (not Shaptons, but I don't think it would be different) to aluminum blanks with 3M 77 spray... never had an issue.

Re: Fitting My Shapton Pro's to WEPS 10 months 4 weeks ago #11218

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
Interesting..
I tried to use old 77 for gluing leather to wood for bench strops. I had all kinds of problems with edges lifting. I ended up using the original Barge cement. No problems. I didn't even think to try it on the stones, Part of the problem, I think, was the abrasives that I used on the strops... some oil based, some water based. It gave me pause for using it on water stones.

Sure would be lots easier that the Gorilla glue to work with. I have never tried the Gorilla Epoxy on anything.
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Fitting My Shapton Pro's to WEPS 10 months 4 weeks ago #11219

• cbwx34
  • WE Stonehenge?
  • Thank you received: 390
PhilipPasteur wrote:
Interesting..
I tried to use old 77 for gluing leather to wood for bench strops. I had all kinds of problems with edges lifting. I ended up using the original Barge cement. No problems. I didn't even think to try it on the stones, Part of the problem, I think, was the abrasives that I used on the strops... some oil based, some water based. It gave me pause for using it on water stones.

Sure would be lots easier that the Gorilla glue to work with. I have never tried the Gorilla Epoxy on anything.

I've used it on stones I've subsequently soaked in a tub of water (many times)... so I don't think water is an issue. No idea about oil stones.

Totally unrelated... but I bought a bottle of Gorilla Glue a while back (I guess longer than I thought), and was going to try it on something the other day... opened a brand new bottle... cut the tip off, and found the entire bottle was dried out. :angry:

Re: Fitting My Shapton Pro's to WEPS 10 months 4 weeks ago #11223

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
I had two unopened bottles... one solid as a rock, the other still OK.
They tell you to squeeze all of the air out of the bottle before storing it..
BUT, there is air in the bottle as it sits on the shelf waiting for you to buy it..

The bottle that was still good, I squeezed all of the air out and put it in the freezer...
Lets see how long it lasts...

Oil based slurries applied to leather made the 77 release. I doubt we would soak any of the stones we use on the WEPS in oil. I will try the #M 77 next time I need to glue stones...

BTW Curtis, did you glue these stones to the stock WEPS paddles with plastic platens?
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds