Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Tomato Testing

Re: Tomato Testing 1 year 4 months ago #10570

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 639
LukasPop wrote:
Another tomato video:
I think that important is not only sharpening angle but also overall gyuto geometry (thin vs thick). I am looking forward some WEPS modification to attain steeper angles, but was promised about 2 years ago, so probably some technical isues exist.

Very, very soon! Waiting on the samples to come in this week in fact. Somewhere I have a video of a Wicked Edge sharpened vegetable cleaver that does something like that to a tomato too. Super fun.
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Tomato Testing 1 year 4 months ago #10571

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
wickededge wrote:
Somewhere I have a video of a Wicked Edge sharpened vegetable cleaver that does something like that to a tomato too. Super fun.

This one? (Around the 2min. mark)

The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

Re: Tomato Testing 1 year 4 months ago #10575

• ThomasAscher
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I really like the Murray Carter video as it demonstrates difference before and after stropping. Can someone clarify for me what "stropping" might mean? I go as far as the extra fine and ultra fine ceramics. What is the next, "stropping" step? Could I get a barber's strop and use that? What are my options? I tried the leather strops from WE but could never master. Always ended up slicing the strops to ribbons before I got very far with my knives! :(

Re: Tomato Testing 1 year 4 months ago #10583

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
Thomas,

You just need to work on your technique. My first set of strops got sliced up badly ...very quickly.. I have some that I have been using now for months and there are only a few light nicks in them. There is a learning currve for sure, but it can be done. The key is to always be moving the strop as close to perpindicular to the edge as you can. Never slide it along the edge, and always lift it well clear on the return stroke. Usually what gets you is the tip. Even if you have to recock... start your stroke over once or twice as Clay did in the cleaver viceo... always make sure the you are pusing the strop up and away from the edge.

After the ultrafine ceramics I often use the 5/3.5 micron pastes. Depending on the level of refinement you want, you can go as low as you want from there.

You can strop on many different surfaces if you hand strop. I think a bench strop is easier to use than a hanging strop. I have bench strops in horse butt, cow leater, hard felt and nano cloth. I like lapped horse butt on 5/8" shelving grade particle board. Murry Carter has videos out there where he strops on newspaper after removing burrs on the edge of a picnic table... :P . Some people strop on cardboard, with and without abrasives. Some like to use different types of hard woods. You are only limited by your imagination...and trying things until you find something that works...
:)

Hand stropping requires you to develop your technique in order to be successful. In many ways it is no different than using the WEPS strops, though they are easier, the machine takes care of your angles! When stropping by hand, youu can screw up a sharp blade pretty quickly by rounding the edge. Or you can waste your time be never hitting the edge. You will also tear up a bench strop if you don't observe the same sort of rules that I mentioned for direction of movement of the blade relative to the strops as being required with the WEPS strops.

The thing is, if you like the precision that the WEPS provides, you should try and learn to use the WEPS strops. I think that you would be glad that you take the time to get there!
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34, ThomasAscher

Re: Tomato Testing 1 year 4 months ago #10590

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 383
Some time ago Michiel posted this video on his blog:

I was impressed, so I asked him how he sharpened the blade. The answer was simple: Shaptons up to 15K.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThomasAscher

Re: Tomato Testing 1 year 4 months ago #10595

• ThomasAscher
  • Junior Boarder
I understand using leather strops on short knives using just up motion. On a 240mm Gyuto not so easy. Maybe I'll look into using finer stones. Or just being satisfied to end with ceramics!

Re: Tomato Testing 1 year 4 months ago #10596

• ThomasAscher
  • Junior Boarder
Good suggestion where I find leather strops too difficult. Expensive, but maybe less hassle in the long run!

Re: Tomato Testing 1 year 4 months ago #10597

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
ThomasAscher wrote:
I understand using leather strops on short knives using just up motion. On a 240mm Gyuto not so easy. Maybe I'll look into using finer stones. Or just being satisfied to end with ceramics!

Just follow Phil's tip....
PhilipPasteur wrote:
Even if you have to recock... start your stroke over once or twice as Clay did in the cleaver viceo... always make sure the you are pusing the strop up and away from the edge.

Basically, when you get to the strop, just "divide" the knife in shorter sections so you're always doing an up stroke. Then it doesn't matter how long the knife is. In fact, you can do this with the stones/ceramics also, on a long knife, to keep the stroke from becoming parallel to the edge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThomasAscher

Re: Tomato Testing 1 year 4 months ago #10603

• ThomasAscher
  • Junior Boarder
Okay, maybe I'll order a pair of leather strops again and give a try. Which strops and paste would you recommend once I finish with the micro-fine ceramics?

Re: Tomato Testing 1 year 4 months ago #10608

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
As I wrote above:
"After the ultrafine ceramics I often use the 5/3.5 micron pastes. Depending on the level of refinement you want, you can go as low as you want from there."
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by PhilipPasteur.
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds