Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance

TOPIC: Should I get new ball joint arms?

Should I get new ball joint arms? 1 year 8 months ago #6212

• RICKLINDSEY
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I keep hearing about people getting new ball joint arms.(due to problem with the old ones maybe?)
I have a F&S. Is there some reason I should get them too? Or am I missing something?
Thanks in advance...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Should I get new ball joint arms? 1 year 8 months ago #6213

• coryschnaufer
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
As you can see I'm somewhat of a newbie around here also so take this for what it is worth. I would love to have the new risers and I'm sure I will get them in time but I am getting hair shaving edges with what I have right now so it is hard for me to justify dropping that amount of coin on a system that is already leaps and bounds ahead of the rest. I have been keeping track of this forum for a month now and just reding and absorbing information and there are some people on here that know more about metal and knives than I thought possible. People that literally want to find the perfect edge. My knives are tools and I love to keep my tools in the best shape I can hence me having the best sharpener on the market. I'm looking for functionality though where others here are looking to make there knife sharper then obsidian. Then you have the push cut guys with polished edges or the toothy edged guys with there reasons why that edge works better for them. I have learned so much in such a short time it is amazing the people and talent and in some cases obsession that is here to take advantage of. My advise to you would be to ask yourself what you sharpen your knives for, therapy, fun, hunting the perfect edge, functioning tool, or any other reason you can think of.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, cbwx34

Re: Should I get new ball joint arms? 1 year 8 months ago #6214

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
Absolutely great advice...

This OCD stuff is for folks that get totally absorbed into getting to "perfection".
Of course, perfect is a moving target, depending on many personal variables.
Sometimes the pursuit is the goal...
Strange HUH ?
Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Should I get new ball joint arms? 1 year 8 months ago #6215

• Scott Sherman
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36
Are you saying there might be something wrong with wanting to push cut atomic particles with a Sebenza that has a mirror polished edge? There's no OCD here. (I joke)
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Scott Sherman.

Re: Should I get new ball joint arms? 1 year 8 months ago #6216

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
Scott, Do you EVER even sleep???
Work...
Talk to your family???
:)
Just curious...

Splitting atoms is good, if that is what your heart desires.
Neccessary... possibly not.
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Should I get new ball joint arms? 1 year 8 months ago #6218

• Scott Sherman
  • Expert Boarder
OUCH Phil,

I am sitting with my wife and two Labs as I write this and we do speak, frequently. I don't sleep much and I don't work, since I have been retired for about 6 years now. If I only sought to do what was necessary, I would consider my life to have been a total waste. I hope to go way beyond that. Maybe some day I will be able to split a neuron or a photon.

Re: Should I get new ball joint arms? 1 year 8 months ago #6219

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
Don't split any neurons... it might hurt..

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuron

Just playing..
I enjoy the conversation! But struggle to keep up...

My two Rotties seem to understand, but observably...don't *like* me being at the keyboard...
They seem to think that I should have better things to do...
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by PhilipPasteur.

Re: Should I get new ball joint arms? 1 year 8 months ago #6221

• BobNash
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
Hi Rick - hope you are well and enjoying your F&S (and welcome to the fourm too!)

Cory's and Phil's advice/observations are right on the money (welcome to you too Cory!). For most people there is nothing "wrong" with the original arms on the WE100 GenIIs - I still work only with those arms and get absolutely amazing, hair splitting/read in the mirrored bevel, results. The design functions great and 1 degree angle adjustments are nothing to shake your fist at, particularly when compared with most systems out there.

The only thing I would really add, is that the joints on the arms for your F&S operate slightly differently and so aren't subject to the same angle variability that some people experience with the WE100 basic arms, and your angle adjustments are in 2 degree increments (also nothing to shake your fist at IMO). Also, currently the ball joint arms aren't compatible with the F&S system, though I think I saw last week that Clay and Don were playing with how to possibly make a kit that would be compatible.

Have a great weekend!:)
Some of the edges I've sharpened on the WE
www.oldawan.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
505-570-2040 (mobile and office)
The following user(s) said Thank You: coryschnaufer

Re: Should I get new ball joint arms? 1 year 8 months ago #6224

• coryschnaufer
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Scott I'm actually hoping you succeed in push cutting atoms that way I can be one of the first to read about what edge you put on the blade. All of my friends at work already joke about my knives and how I want them to spark when they slice through the air. I have to leave the atom splitting research to you retired guys though because I'm still working my butt off ever day! I really wish you good luck in all of your obsessions! Haha...

Re: Should I get new ball joint arms? 1 year 8 months ago #6225

• Scott Sherman
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Cory,

I am starting to feel a bit self conscious about posting so much. I may have to sit back and let others fill in for me. I am just sort of new and enthusiastic about my new found hobby at this time. But I can see that I am drawing attention In a not so good way.

Appreciate your good thoughts though, so thanks for that.
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds