Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Shuns x 6 and 2 others today

Shuns x 6 and 2 others today 6 months 4 days ago #17056

• tuffybraithwaite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 148
Got some nice knives on Monday evening – really nice knives.
Sharpening is complete and waiting for pick up/delivery call.
See you soon - the rain will cease soon. –vid is like 8 Mins.

ALL.jpg

1_2014-04-15.jpg

2_2014-04-15.jpg

3_2014-04-15.jpg

4_2014-04-15.jpg

5_2014-04-15.jpg
<"))))><(
Last Edit: 6 months 4 days ago by tuffybraithwaite. Reason: forgot to add video
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

Shuns x 6 and 2 others today 6 months 4 days ago #17060

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 200
Tuffy,
What was your plan of action with the sandwich and bread knife? Are you still using the ceramic steel amd green compound on cardboard? I tried to go that route and bought the wrong steel from cktg. I used the steel before realizing it was the wrong one. That was $50 down the drain. :(
I have the grinder set up sold by Josh, but would like a non power way as a new gig will not have juice.
TIA, Eamon
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Shuns x 6 and 2 others today 6 months 3 days ago #17069

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 241
Eamon do you not have some bench stones because you can use the edge to sharpen serrated blades I think Ken does it that way he has a video doing a Tojillo bread knife that way .

Leo Nav

Shuns x 6 and 2 others today 6 months 3 days ago #17070

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
Thats a big batch of Shuns!
Leo Nav

Shuns x 6 and 2 others today 5 months 3 weeks ago #17162

• tuffybraithwaite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 148
would have been good to have had that magnifier today
<"))))><(

Shuns x 6 and 2 others today 5 months 3 weeks ago #17164

• tcmeyer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 254
Eamon:

One trick I have that works really well on bread knives that have round serrations... I have a 1/2" diameter white, ceramic "crock stick" which is about 8" long (have had it for maybe thirty years). I chuck it up in a 1/2" cordless drill, clamp the drill in a vise, then work the individual serrations/grooves over the spinning rod. Pretty easy to hold the right angle or to play with various approaches to bring up a very nice edge. Moving the blade along the length of the stick helps to spread the accumulation of swarf. Use a "super eraser" to clean the stick while it's spinning.

Lansky still sells the "crock stick" set with 2 med and 2 fine grit stones for $16 at www.amazon.com/Lansky-4-rod-Crock-Sharpe...keywords=crock+stick

I'm not sure what the diameter is - maybe more like 1/4", but it looks workable.

There's an awful lot of ceramic rods for sale on Amazon, but they don't say what the grits are.

Good luck,

Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: EamonMcGowan

Shuns x 6 and 2 others today 5 months 3 weeks ago #17165

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
Thats an interesting solution!

Leo Nav

Shuns x 6 and 2 others today 5 months 3 weeks ago #17196

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 200
tcmeyer wrote:
Eamon:

One trick I have that works really well on bread knives that have round serrations... I have a 1/2" diameter white, ceramic "crock stick" which is about 8" long (have had it for maybe thirty years). I chuck it up in a 1/2" cordless drill, clamp the drill in a vise, then work the individual serrations/grooves over the spinning rod. Pretty easy to hold the right angle or to play with various approaches to bring up a very nice edge. Moving the blade along the length of the stick helps to spread the accumulation of swarf. Use a "super eraser" to clean the stick while it's spinning.

Lansky still sells the "crock stick" set with 2 med and 2 fine grit stones for $16 at www.amazon.com/Lansky-4-rod-Crock-Sharpe...keywords=crock+stick

I'm not sure what the diameter is - maybe more like 1/4", but it looks workable.

There's an awful lot of ceramic rods for sale on Amazon, but they don't say what the grits are.

Good luck,

Tom

Tom,
Thanks very much! I ordered them and will give them a try? For the price? What the heck? A cordless drill and the sticks should be good to go!
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds