Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Are Customers reading your Website?

Are Customers reading your Website? 5 months 3 weeks ago #15728

• zig
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
There might be a slight misunderstanding going on.
Its not how it looks on the device, as they are not looking at the site.

After asking them, they never go to the page, or just go to the page that led them there and snag the # or email.

I'm happy they are finding and I'm ranking, but the frustration is the questions that are easily answered if they actually read the site.

They are snagging the email or phone off the search, not the site.
I can see the devices when they email me.
They go no further than the search results.

Point is, its a "I want it now" mentality.
Almost feel that the info on the site is moot. Aside the SEO that makes the ranking.
They want sharpening, see the first results, and call or email instead of reading the site or what you do.

Only a drag as far as email, you either rewrite the info they request, or give them links to the pages they never read that answer the questions.

Maybe I'm bitching about nothing, but just observing a shift in how people browse.
www.zbsharpening.com
Knife Sharpening Service
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
908-635-2748
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

Are Customers reading your Website? 5 months 3 weeks ago #15729

• wickededge
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 598
Thanks for posting about this! Some people may assume that the search engine has done enough work and found the correct match so they just go straight for the phone number or email on the results listing. Some people search while they're driving, or don't want to spend time trying to find info on a site because they're conditioned by visiting so many poorly designed sites that make it hard to find the info they're looking for quickly. I wonder if you can get some more of the most pertinent info onto the search engine results page. We're looking into a responsive site or mobile version for the WE site, still trying to figure out what's best because so many of our visitors are on mobile browsers now. Definitely need to make sure the most important stuff comes up first!
--Clay Allison
The following user(s) said Thank You: zig

Are Customers reading your Website? 5 months 3 weeks ago #15730

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
zig wrote:
There might be a slight misunderstanding going on.
Its not how it looks on the device, as they are not looking at the site.

After asking them, they never go to the page, or just go to the page that led them there and snag the # or email.

I'm happy they are finding and I'm ranking, but the frustration is the questions that are easily answered if they actually read the site.

Not a misunderstanding, just a side bar conversation (or 3 ;) ) Sorry about that.... It happens...

Okay, so you've seen a shift in how much work customers are willing to do to investigate your services and you're unhappy that their unwillingness to do this work is creating additional work for you. Yes?

I was raised on customer service having two components:

1. The customer is always right
2. If you truly believe the customer is wrong, re-read #1

It's really that simple.

Yes, you did all this work creating your website and I get you want them to utilize this work and streamline your business model. But if that's not how THEY want to investigate your service you have a couple options:

1. Work with them the way they want to and be happy they are interested in your business (working the way they want to and being unhappy about it doesn't help you or them)

2. Refuse to work with them their way and be happy with the results, which MAY include reduced business and you'll have to be okay with that. Again, it doesn't help you or them to conduct your business the way you want to but be unhappy if your potential customers seek other solutions.

As a customer, I've dealt with both business models. I've been thrilled when a business will go out of their way to do something simply because I requested it. And I've been annoyed when I get a negative response (or worse, no response at all)

In fact, I have such a situation right now. A company offered a significant discount on a program I'm interested in but they don't offer a direct way to run it on the platform I want to use. I wrote to them about it and they've ignored my emails. Now, I really want this program and I know I could probably find a way to make it work but their complete lack of response has soured me to the whole idea and the 66% savings means less to me than the loss of a sale means to them. Or so it appears.

I don't know if any of this is helpful? I hope you can find a place where you are happy, your customers are happy and your business is thriving. It doesn't occur as often as it seems it should.

Ken
玉鋼
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, zig

Are Customers reading your Website? 5 months 3 weeks ago #15737

• zig
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for the input fellas!
The key I believe is that the times they are a changing, and I need to figure out the best way to keep up with it.

With handheld devices booming, I'm thinking its more visual and not readable to the customer.
HOWEVER, the search engines rely on words, not images, so we got a little battle going on.
This is a new topic that is going on with developers, SEO vs Design.
In the end, Google is going to win over design, as that's what puts the customers in the seat.
This is very similar to what happened to flash sites.
Used to be Flash was used everywhere ... until they realized Google doesn't read flash and so doesn't attract customers with a search.
Now, you rarely see Flash used. Maybe as a showcase for an item, but not for building entire sites.

The responsive sites I believe will take over, as the rate of folks sitting at a desktop drops.
So depending on the size of the device, I'm assuming one will need to pack as big of a punch in as few words as possible in your opening statement.

One hurdle I see is diversified sites, say you not only sharpen knives, but scissors, tools, clippers etc.
Too much information to pack into an index page.

I think its going to be important to produce pages with specific topics that the engines will find.
Ex: A person is searching for scissor sharpening. I'll need to develop a scissor page that will rank in the engines.

Same as if you target restaurants for knives or home owners. 2 different audiences.

Gonna be interesting to say the least as things are moving very fast from what I've been seeing.
www.zbsharpening.com
Knife Sharpening Service
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
908-635-2748
Last Edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by zig.

Are Customers reading your Website? 5 months 3 weeks ago #15738

• zig
  • Expert Boarder
wickededge wrote:
Thanks for posting about this! Some people may assume that the search engine has done enough work and found the correct match so they just go straight for the phone number or email on the results listing.

Exactly!
My restaurant knife sharpening page currently says I don't do knife exchanges.
So what do I get calls for ... Knife Exchanges! :)
www.zbsharpening.com
Knife Sharpening Service
908-635-2748

Are Customers reading your Website? 5 months 3 weeks ago #15739

• Mikedoh
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 104
I use safari on my ipad, and most pages come up as full web page view also.

Are Customers reading your Website? 5 months 2 weeks ago #15743

• zig
  • Expert Boarder
wickededge wrote:
I wonder if you can get some more of the most pertinent info onto the search engine results page.

Currently google truncates titles after 67 characters.
However, things are changing it seems.
Adapting maybe to handhelds, Google SERPS may now show more characters as it seems that they are not going on characters but rather pixels!

Seems 469 pixels may be the new size.

How does this translate? Depending on the letters, you may be able to pack over 100.
It seems to also depend on the browser font, so results will vary browser to browser.

If this is correct, depending on the browser font, iiii, lllll, jjjjj, tttt will become very popular in titles :)

It just gets more confusing the deeper you dig.
www.zbsharpening.com
Knife Sharpening Service
908-635-2748
Last Edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by zig. Reason: clarification

Are Customers reading your Website? 5 months 2 weeks ago #15744

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
Mikedoh wrote:
I use safari on my ipad, and most pages come up as full web page view also.

Oh, same here. For whatever reason, it's mostly the sites I buy my knives from that do this.

Really wish they wouldn't.

Ken
玉鋼

Are Customers reading your Website? 5 months 2 weeks ago #15745

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 288
Yeah that it confusing... I just put a bunch of key words on my website and it seems to rank ok

I actually just recently redid my website with a responsive theme, it seems to work well on any sized device.

Are Customers reading your Website? 5 months 2 weeks ago #15746

• wickededge
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 598
Josh, Your site is looking great!
--Clay Allison
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds