Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How long do the stones last

How long do the stones last 10 months 4 weeks ago #14516

I realize I just started a topic in this business category. If two is too many, I apologize. But in my defense, I am REALLY amped up right now for sharpening things....

How long are the stones and strops lasting you guys who have been sharpening for a while? One of the reasons I went with DMT diamond hones over waterstones is the DMT have a much slower (read "almost never") wear rate. I have no doubt that waterstones could give me a better edge.

What are you all's opinions based on experience with this issue? I know I can buy backups for all the stones, I'm just curious how often that might have to happen.
Last Edit: 10 months 4 weeks ago by garythenuke.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How long do the stones last 10 months 4 weeks ago #14518

• mark76
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 402
The diamond stones last very long. I've been using them for about two years now and they still work fine. The same applies to the ceramic stones. Waterstones do wear (Chosera's more than Shaptons), but given their thickness you can still use them on a lot of knives. I've never bought replacement stones.

The leather strops work very long, too, if you use them properly. But I must say I've nicked a few of those... In that case the balsa strops are a bit stronger (but you can still nick them).
Last Edit: 10 months 4 weeks ago by mark76.
The following user(s) said Thank You: garythenuke

How long do the stones last 10 months 4 weeks ago #14525

Thanks Mark. I've never tried Balsa. How many knives would you guess you've sharpened with your stones over the past two years?
I really do want my system to last long enough to have my kids and grandkids fight over it...

How long do the stones last 10 months 4 weeks ago #14544

• DanMaloon
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 65
The stones should last very long. For your kids/grandkids is a stretch.
Last Edit: 10 months 3 weeks ago by DanMaloon.

How long do the stones last 10 months 4 weeks ago #14552

• tuffybraithwaite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 129
for me the 100/200 and 400/600 did not last very long, but i do a fair amount of knives with them. the 400/600 have bare spots all along the middle portion. no diamonds left, kinda the same with 100/200. i found by replacing them, it really helped me speed up my sharpening at the fares/fairs that i work.

i am on my second set of each and now i feel i should replace orininal 800/1000 soon.
<"))))><(

How long do the stones last 10 months 4 weeks ago #14557

tuffybraithwaite wrote:
for me the 100/200 and 400/600 did not last very long, but i do a fair amount of knives with them. the 400/600 have bare spots all along the middle portion. no diamonds left, kinda the same with 100/200. i found by replacing them, it really helped me speed up my sharpening at the fares/fairs that i work.

i am on my second set of each and now i feel i should replace orininal 800/1000 soon.

How many knives do you do? How many knives do you think it took to wear out the 100/200 and the 400/600?

That is good advice Dan about not using water. What diamond plate do you use to lap your ceramics? Did any of you all go the waterstone route?

How long do the stones last 10 months 4 weeks ago #14559

• DanMaloon
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 65
I've done 120-170 knives (different steels and sizes) with this current set. I might try a different stone set up recommended by Josh of the atoma 140/400 plates. I may also try to recharge the stones somehow first
Last Edit: 10 months 3 weeks ago by DanMaloon.

How long do the stones last 10 months 4 weeks ago #14560

I'd like to read about that alternative stone set up. I'd also like to hear if you figure out how to recharge the stones.

How long do the stones last 10 months 3 weeks ago #14562

• tuffybraithwaite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 129
garythenuke wrote:
tuffybraithwaite wrote:

How many knives do you do? How many knives do you think it took to wear out the 100/200 and the 400/600?

That is good advice Dan about not using water. What diamond plate do you use to lap your ceramics? Did any of you all go the waterstone route?
hard to tell - probably 20 to 25 per week since may on the average.

i replaced the 100/200 and 400/600 in late june or early july i think.
<"))))><(

How long do the stones last 10 months 3 weeks ago #14564

^^That actually seems like they are wearing pretty quickly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds