Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Jeweler's Loupe

Re: Jeweler's Loupe 1 year 7 months ago #9899

• BUCKrub91
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
www.amazon.com/SE-30X-Illuminated-Jewele...words=jewelers+loupe

That is the one I use.. works pretty well.. got it as an add on item for one of my previous amazon orders
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34

Re: Jeweler's Loupe 1 year 6 months ago #10098

• JamesBare
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Completely dumb newbie question, what's the benefit of looking at the edge through a loupe?
I need to catch more fish so I have an excuse to resharpen my fillet knives :-D

Re: Jeweler's Loupe 1 year 6 months ago #10106

• EatingPie
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I first used the loupe when doing the Sharpie Trick. It gave me a much more accurate view of the wear on the knife after just a few passes with the 1K grit stone. It's especially helpful when you're off by just a bit and it's difficult to see exactly where the stone is hitting the bevel.

Now I also use it to look at scratch patterns. Of course, most of the time I'm baffled by what I'm seeing... but I figure it'll make sense some day! :)

And now I want to ammend my recommendation. This 40x Loupe sold by Fasttech, direct from China is my new favorite.

It has a much better depth of field than any of my other loupes, and it's only $1.00 more. It uses standard AAA batteries, so you don't have to hunt around the internet (and pay extortion fees) for replacements. DId I mention the depth of field? That's really what sets this one apart, making it significantly easier to see the details.

-Pie
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by EatingPie. Reason: Formatting Issue

Re: Jeweler's Loupe 1 year 6 months ago #10108

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
$4.05 and free shipping? AAA batteries? Looks like a no-brainer. Thanks for the tip!

Re: Jeweler's Loupe 1 year 6 months ago #10110

• EatingPie
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I like Fasttech... just stay away from the knives! I bought a "CRKT" knife that's my very first ever official knockoff product purchased in my life. And boy does it suck. :D Doesn't seem like there'd be money in fake knives, but then I was a sucker so go figure. (Ironically, I found them because they sell real Panasonic batteries -- something everyone else knocks off!)

Their magnets are pretty awesome too!

-Pie

Re: Jeweler's Loupe 1 year 6 months ago #10116

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
cbwx34 wrote:
$4.05 and free shipping? AAA batteries? Looks like a no-brainer. Thanks for the tip!

Yeah, seems like shipping would be more than that! These must cost -$27.21 to make :)

Ken

(but hey, I ordered one. Why not?)
玉鋼

Re: Jeweler's Loupe 1 year 6 months ago #10504

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 200
EatingPie wrote:
I first used the loupe when doing the Sharpie Trick. It gave me a much more accurate view of the wear on the knife after just a few passes with the 1K grit stone. It's especially helpful when you're off by just a bit and it's difficult to see exactly where the stone is hitting the bevel.

Now I also use it to look at scratch patterns. Of course, most of the time I'm baffled by what I'm seeing... but I figure it'll make sense some day! :)

And now I want to ammend my recommendation. This 40x Loupe sold by Fasttech, direct from China is my new favorite.

It has a much better depth of field than any of my other loupes, and it's only $1.00 more. It uses standard AAA batteries, so you don't have to hunt around the internet (and pay extortion fees) for replacements. DId I mention the depth of field? That's really what sets this one apart, making it significantly easier to see the details.

-Pie

Pie, I liked this loupe so much I went back and ordered a second one to have. I can't believe something so cheap works so great!!! The one I payed $30. for fails compared to this little $5. unit!! You are absolutely correct about it's great field of depth and it is really nice and bright with the three aaa batteries!!
Thank you, Eamon
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Re: Jeweler's Loupe 1 year 6 months ago #10506

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
My Fastech loupe arrived yesterday. I was so excited to give this guy a go. I like the format. The large lense is easier to use than my old Bausch & Lomb and it's nice to have the light built in:

But.... (sorry guys) There is just no comparison on the optics. The B&L is vastly superior. Yeah, it's very small and can be a royal pain in the a.. to use. I have to get the lighting just right (a true joy while the knife is mounted ;) ) and I can only see a small section of the edge at a time but I see MUCH more detail through the B&L

I know this is supposed to be 40X and my B&L is only marked 20X but they don't behave that way. Must have to do with the focal length? (I'm not an optics guy so all I know is what I see)

This new loupe is nice to have as a back up. The price is terrific (I paid a lot more for the B&L a LONG time ago ;) ), and it would be better than nothing, but it isn't going to replace my B&L.

Ken
玉鋼

Re: Jeweler's Loupe 1 year 6 months ago #10507

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
Hey Ken,

Is it possible for you to snap a photo of an edge looking thru the magnifier(s)? (Or at least the big one?) Might give some perspective.

Thanks!

Re: Jeweler's Loupe 1 year 6 months ago #10511

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
cbwx34 wrote:
Hey Ken,

Is it possible for you to snap a photo of an edge looking thru the magnifier(s)? (Or at least the big one?) Might give some perspective.

Thanks!

;) You're taxing my photo skills, Curtis...

I'll see if I can figure out a way, but I have my doubts.

Ken
玉鋼
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds