Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Why not 1 stone

Re: Why not 1 stone 1 year 7 months ago #9111

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 649
Forming a burr is great when you're first creating the bevels on the knife because it's a very clear proof that you have adequately apexed the edge i.e. you've ensured that both bevels meet at a point. Once you've verified that the edge has been apexed, you should try to avoid creating a burr going forward for a variety of reasons. By alternating strokes after your initial bevel formation and apexing of the edge, you can continue to polish the bevels and refine the edge without risking constant burr formation. As soon as you switch to multiple strokes per side, you go back to creating a burr. If you're highly disciplined, you can do one stroke on one side, take the stone off and put it on the other side, do a stroke and repeat, but it can be very tedious.
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PhilipPasteur

Re: Why not 1 stone 1 year 7 months ago #9123

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
BillSutherland wrote:
"When you start doing multiple strokes per side, you immediately begin to form a burr
Is it better to do it that way or by alternating strokes per side? For some reason I tend to be not alternate the strokes but as I said before, I'm just beginning.

I only use multiple strokes per side when reprofiling. Even then I make the attempt at keeping the number of strokes, or with scubbing, the amount of time equal for both sides. Inspecting what you are doing rularly is also a must at this stage. If this is not done, there is a good chance of ending up with asymetric bevels.

After burr formation, using alternating strokes with equal pressure is the only way to go. This will get you where you want to be in the least amount of strokes and you will not always be chasing a burr.

In other words, if:
"I tend to be not alternate the strokes"
You are not using the system to its best advantage. I would suggest that you try to be more disciplined. Before long it will be second nature.

There are many ways to end up with a sharp knife on the WEPS. If you want to know the most efficient and effective, just watch some of Clay's videos. As the inventor, and having arguably , more time on the machine than most, if not all, others it sure seems to me that his method would be a good place to start. Not only does Clay use the system a lot, he clearly closely analyzes the results that he is getting!! Particularly when you are new to the system, and nowitstanding some of the videos out there showing some questionable techniques, give his technique a try. You will not go wrong.

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by PhilipPasteur.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds