Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Testing Sharpness

Re: Testing Sharpness 1 year 7 months ago #7792

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 288
I tried both newspaper and phone book paper both directions (top to bottom and side to side). I found that it does seem there is some truth to the paper grain... I was able to push cut S curves long direction (top to bottom) but had trouble when doing this from side to side on the phone book paper... the only trouble was when I tried to bring the cut back towards the side of the paper that I was holding it on... hope that makes sense.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34, TedS

Re: Testing Sharpness 1 year 7 months ago #7793

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 410
TedS wrote:
If you or anyone else sharpened a cheap knife at 20/40 degrees up to 1K diamonds, would the knife be able to easily slice thru the short side of a phone book page?

I am just trying to determine if I am getting the best results from the WE. I have tried hundreds of strokes per side for each grit as well as varying strokes (circular, scrub and sweep) and I have never been able to easily slice thru the short sides (top or bottom) of a phone book page.

Hi Ted:

I tried a quick test this morning to answer your question. I took a cheap "Made in China" "Surgical Stainless Steel" (which I've heard is often 440A or less), and sharpened it at 20 deg., stopping at the 1000g diamonds. I was able slice all four sides of a phone book page, both straight in and at an angle as well as pushcut, although on the short side it started to tear after a short distance.

A lot is mentioned about stone break-in, but another factor to consider is pressure. I know when I first got the WE, I used way too much, and it affected my results. I actually took a break from it for a while, and when I came back, I noticed I was using less pressure, my strokes seemed smoother, and the results were noticeably better.

I also finish my knives by doing edge trailing strokes from the tip to the heel. This sets up the "teeth" in a direction that facilitates slicing. Not totally necessary, but if you try both ways, you should see a difference. An alternative would be straight up and down, but I like the first way better.

Hopefully that helps a bit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, TedS

Re: Testing Sharpness 1 year 7 months ago #7836

• xuzme720
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Yes, pressure makes alot of difference! My sharpest sessions have always been when I am being "delicate" with the paddles, especially on the higher grits. I find trying to slow down and be more deliberate helps lighten the touch, too. When I am in a hurry, I find myself getting a little ham-fisted on the paddles.

When I am stropping, I set the wicked edge in my lap so I am more "over" the blade. I find it helps me, but of course, we are all different. Plus, my base is round. I used some drops from cutting mdf rings for my speaker box. Waste not, want not. :D

Testing I do on those shiny catalogs they send you in the mail. Thin and slick, nice test for a razor edge but for tooth, some rope or cord.
Particpant in finding out how sharp is sharp!
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by xuzme720.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

Re: Testing Sharpness 1 year 7 months ago #7848

• TedS
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
cbwx34 wrote:
I also finish my knives by doing edge trailing strokes from the tip to the heel. This sets up the "teeth" in a direction that facilitates slicing. Not totally necessary, but if you try both ways, you should see a difference. An alternative would be straight up and down, but I like the first way better.
Thanks Curtis. Finishing with tip to heel trailing strokes made the difference. I can now easily slice thru any side (top, bottom, left or right) of a phone book page.
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by TedS. Reason: fix quote
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds