Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Super and Micro ceramics progression

Super and Micro ceramics progression 1 year 11 months ago #6400

• LukasPop
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 40
I am waiting for micro ceramics, now I have 800/1000 diamonds and super ceramics. I think that you have some experimences with micro ceramics already, what progression do you recommend? Micro coarse > 1200 > 1600 > Micro fine, or 1200 > 1600 > Micro coarse > Micro fine? Or it doesn't matter? I read Clay used progression 600 > Micro coarse > Micro fine, which works well, on the other hand, Scott have 800/1000 diamond, super and micro ceramics, and still think, that adding choseras between super and micro ceramis would be useful, so I am little confused :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Super and Micro ceramics progression 1 year 11 months ago #6416

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
LukasPop wrote:
Micro coarse > 1200 > 1600 > Micro fine

This is what I've been doing. I recently lapped my "Micro coarse" stone, but haven't tried it out enough to see if there's a difference.

I think the answer may be to just try them out and see what works for you. (It's one of the fun advantages of having a variety to try.). :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LukasPop

Re: Super and Micro ceramics progression 1 year 11 months ago #6417

• mark76
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 464
cbwx34 wrote:
LukasPop wrote:
Micro coarse > 1200 > 1600 > Micro fine

This is what I've been doing. I recently lapped my "Micro coarse" stone, but haven't tried it out enough to see if there's a difference.

I think the answer may be to just try them out and see what works for you. (It's one of the fun advantages of having a variety to try.). :)

This is what I have been doing, too. You can see some photographs and experimental results on my blog. It is rather hard to judge the micro stones, because they are so hard and work a bit differently. (Recently Lagrangian posted some very detailed photographs of the Spyderco Sharppmaker stones, which are made by the same manufacturer, on knifeforums. Indeed it seems difficult to judge these stones by means of the size of the scratches they make; apparently they burnish too.)

In most practical cases using them both is overkill. Throw in some 5K/10K Chosera's and it is even more overkill. Not to say it's not fun: I love my Chosera's, they give a great feedback and they provide a better polish than any other stone I've seen. (But if it's the polish you're after, some leather strops with a WE paste work great, too.)
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by mark76.

Re: Super and Micro ceramics progression 1 year 11 months ago #6426

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
mark76 wrote:
Indeed it seems difficult to judge these stones by means of the size of the scratches they make; apparently they burnish too.)

mark76 wrote:
In most practical cases using them both is overkill. Throw in some 5K/10K Chosera's and it is even more overkill. Not to say it's not fun: I love my Chosera's, they give a great feedback and they provide a better polish than any other stone I've seen. (But if it's the polish you're after, some leather strops with a WE paste work great, too.)
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by PhilipPasteur.

Re: Super and Micro ceramics progression 1 year 11 months ago #6437

• JamesBell
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
From what you guys are saying, I would not be using them in the order your describing.
I would be thinking in this order:
Let's start WEPS diamond
800 = 12.00 Micron,
WEPS 1000 = 7.00 microns,
Super Fine Ceramic 1200 = 5.00 microns,
Super Fine Ceramic 1600 = 2.80 microns,
then Micro fine ceramic Course = 1.4 microns and last
Micro Fine Ceramic Fine = .6 micron.
So based on microns this would be to order I would work the stones.

Now stropping is a different matter with 5 micron, 3.5 and 1 and .5 micron strops.
The strop effect is to me not like the stones, it more blending or refining the edge.

If what I am saying is way out in left field, please tell me more.

Thanks
- James

Re: Super and Micro ceramics progression 1 year 11 months ago #6438

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
You're right if you look at the numbers, but the MicroFine Coarse seems to be a bit 'rougher' than the 1200/1600 ceramics. For example, take a look a Mark's blog on this...

moleculepolishing.wordpress.com/2012/08/...fine-ceramic-stones/

Clay did a post where he lapped his, you can read it here...

wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_k...28&id=4053&Itemid=63

After lapping (I've done mine, but haven't messed with it enough yet) the MicroFine coarse seems to fall in line with it's numbers, so it would be used after the ceramics.

Re: Super and Micro ceramics progression 1 year 11 months ago #6443

• Scott Sherman
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36
I suppose this post is for Clay, since he originally posted this chart. It is the Wicked Edge Grit Chart that most here have probably seen, but it is incomplete since the micro fine is not included. So I wondered if it would be possible for Clay to update it with the micro fine in it's proper order with images.

www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=c...31:general&Itemid=46

Thanks

Re: Super and Micro ceramics progression 1 year 11 months ago #6444

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 691
Scott Sherman wrote:
I suppose this post is for Clay, since he originally posted this chart. It is the Wicked Edge Grit Chart that most here have probably seen, but it is incomplete since the micro fine is not included. So I wondered if it would be possible for Clay to update it with the micro fine in it's proper order with images.

www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=c...31:general&Itemid=46

Thanks

Will do!
--Clay Allison

Re: Super and Micro ceramics progression 1 year 11 months ago #6447

• LukasPop
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 40
Thank you guys :) Delivery to Czech Republic takes some time :( I will play with different progressions, but it seems that full set of super and microceramic is really overkill, so resulting edges will be very similar and great.
Mark, do you think that using Micro fine ceramic after 10K Choseras will improve the edge? All the people here claim that 10K Choseras make superbly sharp and polished edges.

Re: Super and Micro ceramics progression 1 year 11 months ago #6454

• mark76
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 464
LukasPop wrote:
Mark, do you think that using Micro fine ceramic after 10K Choseras will improve the edge? All the people here claim that 10K Choseras make superbly sharp and polished edges.

That's a very difficult question to answer :-). I am quite certain the 0.6 micro fine ceramics do improve the edge after the 1600 ceramic stones or the 5K Choseras. However, as you can read on my blog I had some trouble positioning the micro fine ceramics in the entire stone spectrum. The 0.6 micro fine ceramics may improve the edge after the 10K Choseras, but I'm not sure they will. They will probably not improve the polish left by the 10K Choseras.

That's all I can make of it for now. I guess the definitive answer will come when Clay posts his new series of edge photographs.

If you want to improve the edge after the 10K Choseras and be sure it works, I'd suggest stropping with a diamond spray.
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by mark76.
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds