Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Getting started

Re: Getting started 1 year 9 months ago #5697

This one thing that I have always wanted to be good at since a young age and I totally stink at it and I saw the WE and thought here I go and I cant even get going to GO . Thanks all for your help
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Getting started 1 year 9 months ago #5698

• ApexGS
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
cbwx34 wrote:
Here's my .02. When starting out, my suggestion is to match the angle that is already on the knife.

Wow, I can't believe in my couple paragraphs I neglected to mention that! This is excellent advice, and learning how to match the factory angle using the old Sharpie trick is a good skill as well. You'll kill several birds with one stone (har har, no pun intended) that way.

Also a +1 to not worrying too much about upgrades. I have the Pro Pack 1 and am constantly impressed by the edges it makes with just the stones, none the less some time put in with the strops to shine it up. Lots of time to wander down the rabbit hole later :)
Your friendly neighborhood gunsmith!
- Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34

Re: Getting started 1 year 9 months ago #5699

• Allgonquin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
+1 on the existing angle matching. Use the Sharpie.

One more point, don't worry if, when angle matching, you wind up with two different settings on the arms. It is not unusual for a factory edge, or an edge sharpened by someone/something else, to be asymmetric, and also there can be a bit of play in the universal joints, etc. which make it such that the settings on the arms will be different from side to side when you get the most Sharpie mark removal, i.e. matching the existing angle.
Allgonquin

Objects in closer are mirror than they appear

Re: Getting started 1 year 9 months ago #5700

Ok I will give the sharpie a try tonight when I get home from work and see. Then watch for the burr and try to progress from there. Thanks everyone for the help Im sure I am going to have more questions hope youall dont get tired of my questions.

Re: Getting started 1 year 9 months ago #5704

• StevenPinson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
An endoscope (or recording microscope) works wonders in this department, allowing a standard match to take place (i.e. a .5mm pencil lead) in comparison to the bevel. Just an FYI

Re: Getting started 1 year 9 months ago #5711

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 410
StevenPinson wrote:
An endoscope (or recording microscope) works wonders in this department, allowing a standard match to take place (i.e. a .5mm pencil lead) in comparison to the bevel. Just an FYI

This post makes little sense, anyway, a "recording microscope" is not really a good recommendation when starting out. A simple loupe/magnifier would be more beneficial. Burr detection and marking the edge with a Sharpie is "tried and true" across many methods of sharpening.

Just an FYI. B)

(I can't bring myself to call it an endoscope.) :sick: :ohmy:
EricCleland wrote:
Ok I will give the sharpie a try tonight when I get home from work and see. Then watch for the burr and try to progress from there. Thanks everyone for the help Im sure I am going to have more questions hope youall dont get tired of my questions.

I think you got the idea... keep us posted on how it goes!
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by cbwx34.
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds