Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: First question

Re: First question 1 year 9 months ago #5675

• ApexGS
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
Yeah, I have the screws loosen almost constantly unless I really torque them down as tight as I can with finger pressure. I tend to check the screws in between grits or between "sets" of strop strokes. The left side likes to get loosey goosey all the time, the right not so much.

I'm constantly fiddling with the strop angle, and definitely noticed an immediate difference in the feel of the edge. Cuts great either way, but strangely the reduced angle "feels" less sharp despite probably cutting better. Definitely a curious phenomenon, and probably why I'm always fiddling with different settings :)

I also sometimes use Clay's trick of slightly wetting down the leather. I might try -1 degree and dampening the leather this evening on my carry knife, to compare to the finish it has now.
Your friendly neighborhood gunsmith!
- Tom
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: First question 1 year 9 months ago #5676

• Staze
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
ApexGS wrote:
Yeah, I have the screws loosen almost constantly unless I really torque them down as tight as I can with finger pressure. I tend to check the screws in between grits or between "sets" of strop strokes. The left side likes to get loosey goosey all the time, the right not so much.

Guessing you're right handed. =P Mine, the right side loosens more often, but I'm a lefty, so I'm guessing I am able to tighten the left a bit more than the right.

Kinda wish there was some better method than the thumbscrews.
-Systems Administrator
"You mean you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword and we'll try to kill each other like civilized people?"

WEPS Pro-Pack I

Re: First question 1 year 9 months ago #5679

• TPeters
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
ApexGS wrote:

I'm constantly fiddling with the strop angle, and definitely noticed an immediate difference in the feel of the edge. Cuts great either way, but strangely the reduced angle "feels" less sharp despite probably cutting better. Definitely a curious phenomenon, and probably why I'm always fiddling with different settings :)

I also sometimes use Clay's trick of slightly wetting down the leather. I might try -1 degree and dampening the leather this evening on my carry knife, to compare to the finish it has now.

I remember seeing something about wetting the leathers but don't remember what solution was used. What is the preferred solution and technique does one use?

Re: First question 1 year 9 months ago #5680

• wickededge
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 610
TPeters wrote:
I remember seeing something about wetting the leathers but don't remember what solution was used. What is the preferred solution and technique does one use?

I've been using a little rubbing alcohol and it's working very well.
--Clay Allison
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds