Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Two videos all WEPS users should watch!!!

Re: Two videos all WEPS users should watch!!! 2 years 1 month ago #5401

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 423
iamtwon wrote:
I would imagine this is a "feel" type of skill. As in, one just "knows" how long to stay on a certain grit...

Are there "pre-burr" clues to prompt you to go ahead to the next stone? Can you tell by touch? Use magnification?

Or is it as simple as, try it out, and you may have to spend more time on a higher grit stone to raise that burr?

I believe the easiest way and the way that JDavis would recommend (as stated in his video) is to use a black sharpie and "paint" the edge often so you can see how close you get to the edge of the edge without apexing it (i.e. there will still be a thin sliver of black markie at the very edge up until you hit the 400-1000 grit range - whatever you choose).

There are no "pre-burr" clues that I'm aware of... a burr is simply the point at which you have truly apexed your edge and the two surfaces of your edge meet (may not be stating this very eloquently, but oh well). here is a pic for explanation...

so you can see what i'm talking about... if you don't apex the edge, you won't have a burr on *both* sides, period. I have had situations on some occasions where I will get a burr on one side and not the other if I have ground one of the sides down to the edge of the edge, but not the other. hope this makes sense! lol. sorry if i'm confusing you. in the end, it is an art ;)
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by razoredgeknives.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

Re: Two videos all WEPS users should watch!!! 2 years 1 month ago #5407

• TPeters
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I as a beginner appreciate all the pointers I can get. Thanks for all the information in this thread. I tried the saran wrap tonight and it work well.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds