Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Noob Stone Question.

Re: Noob Stone Question. 2 years 1 month ago #3775

• JDS
  • Senior Boarder
I'll be ordering the Pro Pack w/the addition of the 1200/1600's to get my feet wet and gain some experience w/techniques.

I have only done basic sharpening with a simple two sided stone (which I now consider barbaric) so I am pretty much brand new. I understand the concepts but realize this is a lifetime art, still can't wait to start though! I will also be ordering some of the classic edge sharpening books, reading every article and watching every video I can possible find, I'm pretty thorough when learning a new art, lol.

I will also be using a microscope and definitely a cube, remember, I have perfection in my veins! :)

EDIT: Just watched the lapping film vids (thx for the link) but curious why WE didn't include anything in the kit between 1000 and paste?
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by JDS.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Noob Stone Question. 2 years 1 month ago #3776

• JDS
  • Senior Boarder
Speaking of the 1200/1600's, Iv'e been reading so much WE, I'm getting confused as to where Iv'e seen what, lol. Is it my imagination or are the 1200/1600 Ceramics NOT on the WE site? Or are they the 1.4/.6 micron ones. I can't even remember where I saw them... I'm delirious, been reading for hours. Thx.

Re: Noob Stone Question. 2 years 1 month ago #3782

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 646
JDS wrote:
Speaking of the 1200/1600's, Iv'e been reading so much WE, I'm getting confused as to where Iv'e seen what, lol. Is it my imagination or are the 1200/1600 Ceramics NOT on the WE site? Or are they the 1.4/.6 micron ones. I can't even remember where I saw them... I'm delirious, been reading for hours. Thx.

Good question - we have them off the site for now since they're out of stock and we're deciding whether to carry them again. I really like the stones but the manufacturer is a major PITA to deal with and won't fully back the product, so that presents us with a dilemma - we do fully back all the products and if they won't also, then what? We're still working on that internally and w/ them. I'd like to bring them back, but will only do so if I'm confident they'll stand behind the stones.
--Clay Allison

Re: Noob Stone Question. 2 years 1 month ago #3792

• JDS
  • Senior Boarder
Thank you for the quick and personal responses and explanations. Really makes a difference in my ordering a WE. Interesting to know about the stones, makes sense now.

I'm sure this is on here somewhere, but I've been reading non stop for weeks so I'll just ask now... so what is the equivalent of the 1200/1600 ceramics? And again, why the huge jump from 1000 to paste w/the kit?
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by JDS.

Re: Noob Stone Question. 2 years 1 month ago #3794

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
This may answer that question for you:

wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_c...31:general&Itemid=46

Here is another real good comparison chart:

www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.ph...d-Unified-Grit-Chart

Just re-reading your question, I did not address the question about the gap between the 1000 grit stones and the diamond pastes that come with the kit. I think this is the result of all of the experience that Clay has with the system. We can pursue mirror, hanging hair splitting edges, and we do, becuse they are neat and just getting there gives a sense or real accomplishment. The problem with this type of edge is that it is not all that great for many everyday tasks. If you will check out the knife DB you will see many people that stop at the 1000 grit stones and polish with one of the diamond pastes. This will give a very good utility edge that will cut food, cardboard, tape, rope and whittle wood very well while lasting well. You get the slight toothiness while polishing and refining the edge with the diamond compound. Many report that you will still shave arm hair and be able to push cut at this level. In short, a pretty darn good all around edge.

I think that, at some point you have to make a decision what the best kit for the average user will be and sell that. All of the options are still out there if you want them. So you fill in later if you find that you need to.

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by PhilipPasteur. Reason: add second answer
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds