Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Why are my blades tilted in the clamp?

Why are my blades tilted in the clamp? 2 months 5 days ago #18521

• GEEKMEDIC
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
I have seen this topic before and tried to find it to no avail. Every blade I clamp is tilted 2+ degrees to the left (when looking at the handle in the clamp.) I don't know if I've bent the clamp jaws or what. I am getting spectacular results (for me) even with the cant of the blades, but would like to get even better results. If anyone can suggest what I might be doing incorrectly I would certainly be grateful. I've puzzled over this for a few days now and can't figure what the problem might be. I have linked an image of the blade mounted with the angle cube on it. Thanks in advance.

Robert

rpo_tilt_pic.jpg
Last Edit: 2 months 5 days ago by GEEKMEDIC.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Why are my blades tilted in the clamp? 2 months 5 days ago #18522

• GEEKMEDIC
  • Fresh Boarder
I have that same blade mounted in the clamp currently and the angle cube is showing 1.45 degrees of cant? I am clueless..... And no, the stone is not resting on the angle cube :)
Last Edit: 2 months 5 days ago by GEEKMEDIC.

Why are my blades tilted in the clamp? 2 months 5 days ago #18523

• Mikedoh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 125
If it's a full flat ground knife, continuous taper from spine to edge, you need to use some material to help get the knife centered, or clamp to a flat spot on the blade, e.g. Near the handle. This thread may help you.

www.wickededgeusa.com/forum/6-techniques...s/13084-bevel-angles

Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, mark76

Why are my blades tilted in the clamp? 2 months 5 days ago #18524

• tcmeyer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 258
GEEKMEDIC: Full-flat-grind blades need special attention to how they're clamped in the vise. You should read the thread at www.wickededgeusa.com/forum/6-techniques...s/13084-bevel-angles
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, mark76

Why are my blades tilted in the clamp? 2 months 5 days ago #18535

• GEEKMEDIC
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you for the link to the thread. I am still trying to figure things out, but thanks to this forum it gets better every day.

Robert
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

Why are my blades tilted in the clamp? 2 months 4 days ago #18550

• GibCurry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gib
  • Thank you received: 128
GEEKMEDIC wrote:
Thank you for the link to the thread. I am still trying to figure things out, but thanks to this forum it gets better every day.

Robert

Full Flat Grinds can be a pain in the vise.... It takes me a long time to set up a FFG before I'm satisfied. I fumble with the setup and fumble with the math. My technique is getting better but is far from perfect. Still, the blades come out wicked sharp. There's always more.

The recommended thread contains many of the keys. This forum as a whole contains the "masters".

Bring your questions and your answers....Have lots of patience and even more fun!!
~~~~

For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

"My goal is to be a good, practical knife sharpener. My dream is to polish molecules."
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

Why are my blades tilted in the clamp? 2 months 4 days ago #18551

• GEEKMEDIC
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you Sir. Your post on the knife sharpening class you took inspired me to find a class at the Phoenix Knife Shop, which I am going to take next month. I have never been able to get anything resembling a sharp edge by hand, but the knowledge I am gaining here is starting to make me think I might be able to get closer with some instruction. I also appreciate you saying you fumble with the math. Perhaps you might clear something up for me. In the picture above it shows a cant to the left of 3.2 degree. If I am figuring it right, and that is a big if, it seems to me that in order to address a 20 degree edge correctly I should have the left stone at 16.8 and the right at 23.2. Is that correct or am I off my rocker?

Re:Re: Why are my blades tilted in the clamp? 2 months 3 days ago #18553

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 423
GEEKMEDIC wrote:
Thank you Sir. Your post on the knife sharpening class you took inspired me to find a class at the Phoenix Knife Shop, which I am going to take next month. I have never been able to get anything resembling a sharp edge by hand, but the knowledge I am gaining here is starting to make me think I might be able to get closer with some instruction. I also appreciate you saying you fumble with the math. Perhaps you might clear something up for me. In the picture above it shows a cant to the left of 3.2 degree. If I am figuring it right, and that is a big if, it seems to me that in order to address a 20 degree edge correctly I should have the left stone at 16.8 and the right at 23.2. Is that correct or am I off my rocker?
This is how I've understood it, but I've never been a math wiz lol.

You need to take measurements from both sides of the blade (take a few to make sure it is accurate). If the left side says 1 and the right side says 3 then you know that it is tilted to the left in the vise by two degrees. The way you compensate for this is my moving your right arm base out by 1 degree and your left one in by 1 degree for a total of 2 degrees.

Tom, could you or Jordan weigh in since you have engineering backgrounds? Should you move both sides 2 degrees each to compensate?
The following user(s) said Thank You: GEEKMEDIC

Re:Re: Why are my blades tilted in the clamp? 2 months 3 days ago #18554

• tcmeyer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 258
Your AngleCube is laying flat against the right side, correct? If the left side is vertical, then you can infer that the faces are 3.2 degrees displaced from each other (which matches up with my 3.5 degree Delica 4).

Assuming the above is correct, then actually, the centerline of your knife is leaning 1.6 degrees to the left. This means that you should deduct 1.6 degrees from the left setting, and add 1.6 degrees to the right for a centered, symmetrical bevel. For a 20/20 edge, set for 18.4 on the left, 21.6 on the right.

This is not an unorthodox set-up. I now use it for all my FFG blades (Ha! I have three!) and it seems to be dead-on and much easier than trying to center the blade with shims
The following user(s) said Thank You: mark76, GibCurry, GEEKMEDIC

Re:Re: Re:Re: Why are my blades tilted in the clamp? 2 months 3 days ago #18557

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 423
tcmeyer wrote:
Your AngleCube is laying flat against the right side, correct? If the left side is vertical, then you can infer that the faces are 3.2 degrees displaced from each other (which matches up with my 3.5 degree Delica 4).

Assuming the above is correct, then actually, the centerline of your knife is leaning 1.6 degrees to the left. This means that you should deduct 1.6 degrees from the left setting, and add 1.6 degrees to the right for a centered, symmetrical bevel. For a 20/20 edge, set for 18.4 on the left, 21.6 on the right.

This is not an unorthodox set-up. I now use it for all my FFG blades (Ha! I have three!) and it seems to be dead-on and much easier than trying to center the blade with shims
Not sure I understand... If I understand correctly this method does not take the primary grind into account... Or does it?

Basically you need to take readings from both of the sides, and ideally, you want them to be the same (ie. 3.2 and 3.2 on both sides). But let's day one side is 3.2 and the other is 1.2 then that means that it is tilted in the direction of the lower angle 2 degrees, correct? How would you compensate for this?

Thanks for chiming in!!
Last Edit: 2 months 3 days ago by razoredgeknives.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mark76
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds