Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: Wusthof Bevel Angles

Wusthof Bevel Angles 2 months 3 weeks ago #18208

  • HodMa1
  • HodMa1's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 16
  • Thank you received: 8
  • Karma: 0
I don't believe it but Wusthof Trident of America, Inc. responded to my email request. This is what they sent me:

Please see below for the sharpening angles for our non-forged knives:

Santoku – 22 degrees
Fillet Knife – 27 degrees
Peeling Knife – 32 degrees
Paring Knife – 32 degrees
Kitchen/Utility Knife – 32 degrees
Carving Knife – 32 degrees
Steak Knife – 32 degrees
Cook’s Knife – 28 degrees
Boning Knife – 40 degrees
Marc
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by HodMa1.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, Geocyclist

Wusthof Bevel Angles 2 months 3 weeks ago #18209

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1855
  • Thank you received: 687
  • Karma: 92
HodMa1 wrote:
I don't believe it but Wusthof Trident of America, Inc. responded to my email request. This is what they sent me:

Please see below for the sharpening angles for our non-forged knives:

Santoku – 22 degrees
Fillet Knife – 27 degrees
Peeling Knife – 32 degrees
Paring Knife – 32 degrees
Kitchen/Utility Knife – 32 degrees
Carving Knife – 32 degrees
Steak Knife – 32 degrees
Cook’s Knife – 28 degrees
Boning Knife – 40 degrees

These must be included angles.
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HodMa1

Wusthof Bevel Angles 2 months 3 weeks ago #18210

  • HodMa1
  • HodMa1's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 16
  • Thank you received: 8
  • Karma: 0
I do agree with you. I emailed them back to get that clarified.
Marc
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Wusthof Bevel Angles 2 months 3 weeks ago #18213

  • Geocyclist
  • Geocyclist's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 462
  • Thank you received: 167
  • Karma: 31
Thanks Marc.

Hard to believe the Santuko is 11 dps. The other seem about right for included angles. I would have figured about 4 to 6 degree more.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, HodMa1

Wusthof Bevel Angles 2 months 3 weeks ago #18214

  • mark76
  • mark76's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1340
  • Thank you received: 456
  • Karma: 87
Geocyclist wrote:
Hard to believe the Santuko is 11 dps. The other seem about right for included angles. I would have figured about 4 to 6 degree more.

Yes, I find these angles difficult to comprehend both when they're included or per side. A Santoku at 11 dps per side... 22 sounds more appropriate for "normal", quite soft, German steel. But then, a boning knife at 40 dps wouldn't cut... But 20 dps seems too low for a boning knife of soft steel...

Intriguing... I am curious what Wusthoff writes back.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, HodMa1

Wusthof Bevel Angles 2 months 2 weeks ago #18217

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1855
  • Thank you received: 687
  • Karma: 92
mark76 wrote:
Geocyclist wrote:
Hard to believe the Santuko is 11 dps. The other seem about right for included angles. I would have figured about 4 to 6 degree more.

Yes, I find these angles difficult to comprehend both when they're included or per side. A Santoku at 11 dps per side... 22 sounds more appropriate for "normal", quite soft, German steel. But then, a boning knife at 40 dps wouldn't cut... But 20 dps seems too low for a boning knife of soft steel...

Intriguing... I am curious what Wusthoff writes back.

I've been puzzling over the same things. It doesn't make sense.
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HodMa1

Wusthof Bevel Angles 2 months 2 weeks ago #18219

  • HodMa1
  • HodMa1's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 16
  • Thank you received: 8
  • Karma: 0
I heard Back from Wusthof.
They say:
The degrees that I provided are inclusive, so please divide each in half to determine the degrees per side.

Marc
Marc
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Wusthof Bevel Angles 2 months 2 weeks ago #18221

  • mark76
  • mark76's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1340
  • Thank you received: 456
  • Karma: 87
The degrees that I provided are inclusive, so please divide each in half to determine the degrees per side.

What Wusthofs are they? Or what steel are they made of?

I know Zwilling recently introduced a new series, Miyabi, that are way different from their normal series. I forgot what steel these new knives are made of, but iirc it was a very good steel hardened to HRC 64 or so.

The angles you mention would be more appropriate for such knives. (Although I don't want a boning knife of HRC 64...)
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by mark76.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HodMa1

Wusthof Bevel Angles 2 months 2 weeks ago #18222

  • HodMa1
  • HodMa1's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 16
  • Thank you received: 8
  • Karma: 0
My Wusthofs are mostly Silverpoint Series. I don't know the steel on them. I also have three Wusthof Dreizack that are labeled X50 Cr Mo 15. The Dreizack I believe were manufactured for the Europe Market. They look like they may be the same steel.

From the numbers they sent me, it looks like the list is mixed DPS and Inclusive.
Marc
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by HodMa1.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Wusthof Bevel Angles 2 months 2 weeks ago #18223

  • mark76
  • mark76's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1340
  • Thank you received: 456
  • Karma: 87
HodMa1 wrote:
My Wusthofs are mostly Silverpoint Series. I don't know the steel on them. I also have three Wusthof Dreizack that are labeled X50 Cr Mo 15. The Dreizack I believe were manufactured for the Europe Market. They look like they may be the same steel.

I think so. X50CrMo15 is a very normal German steel, usually quite soft, HRC 54 or so. I wouldn't put an angle lower than 20 degrees per side for the "normal" knives, chef's knives, Santokus and so on. Probsbly 25 to 30 per side on the boning knife.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HodMa1
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds