Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: stropping angles

stropping angles 4 months 2 weeks ago #16984

• kralc55
  • Fresh Boarder
HI guys:I am new to this forum.had my we about three months.thanks to this forum and the many videos out there,i have had few problems.but I do have a question.several people have alluded to decreasing the angle by about two deg when stropping.Is this true? Thanks
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by kralc55. Reason: spelling
The administrator has disabled public write access.

stroping angles 4 months 2 weeks ago #16985

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 644
kralc55 wrote:
HI guys:I am new to this forum.had my we about three months.thanks to this forum and the many videos out there,i have had few promlens.but I do have a question.several people have alluded to decreasing the angle by about two deg when stroping.Is this true? Thanks

I like the results I get from this technique though stropping at the same angle as sharpening also gives good results. The reason I lower the angle when stropping is to keep my apex at the original sharpening angle instead of having it increase slightly through stropping.
--Clay Allison
The following user(s) said Thank You: EamonMcGowan

stropping angles 4 months 2 weeks ago #16986

• Quoddy99
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36
In my limited experience I decided early on to use slightly different adjustment settings for differing strop materials. Balsa, being fairly ridged I subtract little... usually 0.5°. Kangaroo, being an intermediately flexible material, I subtract 1°. The standard leather strop I use a -1.5°. As this is somewhat of a logical guessing game in my head, and I may eventually find that my idea is not soundly founded... but for now I'll keep using it. Based upon loupe viewing only, it seems to work. Comments and feedback are welcome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EamonMcGowan

stropping angles 4 months 2 weeks ago #16988

• kralc55
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you very much for your replies.I will give it a shot.

stropping angles 4 months 2 weeks ago #16989

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 156
Going along with what Quoddy99 said, it depends. The strops are flexible so it depends how much pressure you put on them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, mark76, EamonMcGowan

stropping angles 4 months 2 weeks ago #16991

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 199
Geocyclist wrote:
Going along with what Quoddy99 said, it depends. The strops are flexible so it depends how much pressure you put on them.

+1 This^^^^
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

stropping angles 4 months 2 weeks ago #17000

• LukasPop
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 40
Quoddy99 wrote:
In my limited experience I decided early on to use slightly different adjustment settings for differing strop materials. Balsa, being fairly ridged I subtract little... usually 0.5°. Kangaroo, being an intermediately flexible material, I subtract 1°. The standard leather strop I use a -1.5°. As this is somewhat of a logical guessing game in my head, and I may eventually find that my idea is not soundly founded... but for now I'll keep using it. Based upon loupe viewing only, it seems to work. Comments and feedback are welcome.
Sounds logical. I think that the width of the bevel should be taken into account also. Adjustement should be inversely proportional to the width of the bevel. But I don't think that exact values matter. Now I usually use microbevel and balsa finish with 2 degrees down.
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by LukasPop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, EamonMcGowan
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds