Sharpening a Convex Edge Question 5 months 3 weeks ago #16527

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 200
cbwx34 wrote:
mctrinket wrote:
Thanks all for the helpful insights.

I guess I am still a little confused about the ORDER of angles: i.e. the progression of sharpening when trying to form a convex edge on the WEPS.

Maybe the order makes no difference?

Because in Clay's video with the Sebenza he seems like he puts the lowest angle on first, a 17, then puts on the highest, a 20, then counts down by degress back to the lowest. So: 17, 20, 19, 18, 17. Then strops at the lowest angle (the 17).

But in the tutoial link Eamon posted, the instructions say the angle progression should be 17, 18, 19, 20. Then strop at 17 degrees.

Am I not being clear? Do you guys understand why I'm confused? Is the order of the angles sharpened when trying to produce a convex edge significant or does it not really matter what order then are done in?

Thank you again for helping out this noob, :)

Well, I don't think you want to do it the way I highlighted in red, or you'll be constantly sharpening the edge at every step. I would do the first way... set the bevel, (17), set the edge (20), then fill in the gaps.

The step in question is Clay's instructions posted here on the site.
Curtis maybe you will want to bring it to Clay's attention? I have done it both ways with great success! I found the written instructions were easier to follow step by step? Do as Leo suggest and have a little fun :P
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
Last Edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by EamonMcGowan. Reason: spell check
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Sharpening a Convex Edge Question 5 months 3 weeks ago #16530

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 367
To answer your question (which I think Curtis did) the method you use to make multiple facets doesn't matter... Your goal is to make 3-4 facets that are as even as possible, and then blend them all together with your 14um strop. But, I would suggest that you use clays method in the video, or one similar because the other method removes too much steel in my opinion.

Josh
The following user(s) said Thank You: mctrinket

Sharpening a Convex Edge Question 5 months 3 weeks ago #16536

• mctrinket
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Thank you everyone for the really helpful responses. I am new to sharpening and trying to learn as much as I can on here (when the alligator doesn't block me :angry: ) and watching lots of youtube videos--so what probably seems like pretty common sense stuff to the more experienced among you is new to me and I just wanted to be sure.

I'm also still trying to sort out the whole angle progression thing when it comes to sharpening; I remain unsure if and when it is important to the finished result.

I just did not want to do something out of sequence and ruin what I was trying to do (by following the tutorials I've been watching online). Needless to say, there is more than one way to sharpen a knife! So it can seem a little midboggling to a beginner.

Thanks again to everyone. I am really trying to learn to do it properly. It's facinating and far more intricate and involved than I ever imagined.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch

Sharpening a Convex Edge Question 5 months 3 weeks ago #16539

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 200
Hi Mctrinket,
Yes who was to know that sharpening a knife could become so involved? The learning curve is a little tough in the beginning but will smooth out soon. Then you will get to it is just second nature to clamp up your knife set your angle and wham you will be done.
The best thing to do is come on here and ask questions. Remember we where all new once. No one that I know of here is ever bothered by answering a question? In fact this has been the most helpful forum I have used!
Try and not take it to seriously? I did in my quest for a perfect edge and I stopped having fun. I would advise if you feel that coming on just take a break and come back to it. I had to remember I bought the WE for enjoyment.
Now like Leo says I find a Zen like feeling when I sharpen and it just relaxes what could have been a bad day! Good luck!!! :)
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch, mctrinket

Sharpening a Convex Edge Question 5 months 2 weeks ago #16543

• GibCurry
  • Expert Boarder
  • Gib
  • Thank you received: 115
mctrinket wrote:
..... new to sharpening and trying to learn as much as I can on here ....... youtube videos.....I remain unsure .....the finished result.

....out of sequence and ruin .......more than one way to sharpen a knife......mindboggling to a beginner.

......I am really trying to learn to do it properly. It's fascinating and far more intricate and involved .......

With a few minor changes.... I've written several posts very similar to this. I'm guessing a lot of us feel or have felt the same way....

It's good to know where our "deficits" lie!! Everyday I see new ways to improve, gain confidence, gain competence, reduce incompetence!

I love it.... Everyday I search for and, hopefully, see new ways in which I've been incompetent! I'm not a pessimist nor am I too hard on myself (IMO :) ).

I say that because I'm an optimist!! It means I've moved to the second step in learning.....

In the late 60's or early 70's I heard this theory of learning called The Four Stages Of Competence (Maslow?). It's meant a lot to me. Very useful, to me. Goes like this:

THE FOUR STAGES

Unconscious incompetence
The individual does not understand or know how to do something and does not necessarily recognize the deficit. They may deny the usefulness of the skill. The individual must recognise their own incompetence, and the value of the new skill, before moving on to the next stage. The length of time an individual spends in this stage depends on the strength of the stimulus to learn.

Conscious incompetence
Though the individual does not understand or know how to do something, he or she does recognize the deficit, as well as the value of a new skill in addressing the deficit. The making of mistakes can be integral to the learning process at this stage.

Conscious competence
The individual understands or knows how to do something. However, demonstrating the skill or knowledge requires concentration. It may be broken down into steps, and there is heavy conscious involvement in executing the new skill.

Unconscious competence
The individual has had so much practice with a skill that it has become "second nature" and can be performed easily. As a result, the skill can be performed while executing another task. The individual may be able to teach it to others, depending upon how and when it was learned.

~~~~

Sound familiar?

Keep your questions coming. So will I. It's how the Unconscious Competent are inspired to help us newly Consciously Incompetent!! :whistle:
~~~~

For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

"My goal is to be a good, practical knife sharpener. My dream is to polish molecules."
The following user(s) said Thank You: mctrinket

Sharpening a Convex Edge Question 5 months 2 weeks ago #16545

• LeoBarr
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 237
I like that very much there is perhaps in some instances another stage ( I have copied and pasted the 4 stages to notes) .
A master Katana sharpener said that whilst he trained 10 plus years he got to the stage where he was happy with his ability in the end ; but once he became a master he has never been happy with the end result I must say that I fall into this category of displeasure the better I get the more disappointed I am in the results since although the faults are a lot less the questions remain even if others are impressed I always question my work and I also remember what I heard once which is people both judge you by your worst work not your best so the aim is to improve the lower end of the work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GibCurry

Sharpening a Convex Edge Question 5 months 2 weeks ago #16555

• tcmeyer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 199
I had a high school English teacher, a Mrs. Salisbury, who paraphrased it as:

A Freshman doesn't know he doesn't know.

A sophomore knows he doesn't know.

A Junior doesn't know he knows.

A Senior knows he knows.

I'll take Gib's version, as it has a lot more class. And for sure now I'm a Senior, but according to the pattern, when it comes to knife sharpening, I'm still in my Sophomore year.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds