Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: An alternative way to "find the sweet spot"

An alternative way to "find the sweet spot" 6 months 3 weeks ago #15231

• tcmeyer
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 136
I don't sharpen nearly as many knives as most of the guys here. I do maybe 10-15 per week. I do know that if you can find a method of exactly repeating the clamped position for a given knife, re-sharpening becomes a no-brainer. For instance, I settled on mounting all folders exactly the same way: bolster against the vice and the spine of the blade held down on both pins, which are always in the upper holes. The angle for folders is always 20 degrees. This three-point reference position and fixed angle is positive and repeatable. Knives seem to just "click" into their natural position.

If my brother-in-law stops by and says his Buck needs a touch-up, I can literally have it done in about three minutes, (not counting any serious chips or dings in the edge). Most importantly, I don't have to watch carefully as I try to find the right height, the right angle, the right axial position or use a Sharpie to mark the edge. I clamp the knife in the vise and immediately begin stoning it without wondering if it's in the right position. Another benefit is that I'm not removing material unnecessarily. I have a lot of small pocket knives and try to keep them nasty-sharp. Most of my re-sharpenings begin with the 800-1000 grit diamond blocks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: razoredgeknives

An alternative way to "find the sweet spot" 6 months 3 weeks ago #15253

• tcmeyer
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 136
Thank you for not reporting me to the moderator. Of course I meant to say wicked sharp and not nasty sharp.

An alternative way to "find the sweet spot" 6 months 3 weeks ago #15263

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 288
Geocyclist wrote:
Thanks for the tip. I have been wondering how this would work.

How did you know you got it right? Sharpie marker? or just end result?

Do you have a way to figure out how much you tilted it down so that you can mount it again the same way?

Yeah I use a sharpie marker and just kept checking until I had it right :-)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds