Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Noob: Setting Angle w/Sharpie/Marker?

Noob: Setting Angle w/Sharpie/Marker? 10 months 2 weeks ago #14822

• JDS
  • Senior Boarder
Maybe one more quick question if anyone's still there, lol.

I tried a different knife using the advice above. So i've got the marker removed to the edge on the edge of the knife but cannot get it fully removed from the edge on the tip. The blade is about 3 1/2" long and the marker remains on the very edge for about the last 1" to the tip. I have tried moving it back/forward. Should I just ignore that little section since the bulk of the blade seems good or is it another Noob mistake in set-up?

Again, thanks for any direction, just want to get past the set-up phase! I don't mind reading so please just direct me to the right area if possible, just not sure what to search or maybe i'm missing it as i read.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Noob: Setting Angle w/Sharpie/Marker? 10 months 2 weeks ago #14824

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
You can't ignore it, or you'll end up with a knife with a dull tip area (which is probably the most used area of a knife). I would set the knife back (horizontal adjustment) to get as close as possible to the rest of the blade, then spend a bit more time on the tip area. If it's taking too long or you think it's getting too wide, you can set a higher angle and sharpen the blade.

Many knives from the manufacturer are freehand sharpened, and because the tip area also moves into thicker metal, it's often sharpened at a higher angle to make everything look even. It may take a bit in the initial sharpening on the WE to get it "adjusted" to sharpening at a precise angle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DARRELLALLEN

Noob: Setting Angle w/Sharpie/Marker? 10 months 2 weeks ago #14825

• BobNash
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
cbwx34 wrote:
You can't ignore it, or you'll end up with a knife with a dull tip area (which is probably the most used area of a knife). I would set the knife back (horizontal adjustment) to get as close as possible to the rest of the blade, then spend a bit more time on the tip area. If it's taking too long or you think it's getting too wide, you can set a higher angle and sharpen the blade.

Many knives from the manufacturer are freehand sharpened, and because the tip area also moves into thicker metal, it's often sharpened at a higher angle to make everything look even. It may take a bit in the initial sharpening on the WE to get it "adjusted" to sharpening at a precise angle.

+1

If you are still having trouble a picture of the blade mounted might help someone give you some other suggestions too. Finding the sweet spot on some blades can take a bit of time finessing the mounting - it gets easier with experience (and of course much easier when you record your settings :blink: )
Some of the edges I've sharpened on the WE
www.oldawan.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
505-570-2040 (mobile and office)

Noob: Setting Angle w/Sharpie/Marker? 10 months 2 weeks ago #14827

• DARRELLALLEN
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
cbwx34 wrote:

+1 as well Curtis

I had often wondered why some of my tips have a wider bevel occasionally, and what you just posted makes PERFECT sense..............thank you for that as I had no idea, but now I do. :cheer:

Noob: Setting Angle w/Sharpie/Marker? 10 months 2 weeks ago #14829

• JDS
  • Senior Boarder
Ya, read about the tip being wider and might make sense as it's a pretty cheap knife.

I would like to correct a little info, the very tip does get hit at the edge, it's just the little part before the tip and forward of the main belly that I can't get. I'll post pics if I have further trouble (hope not, lol)

So do I set the angle on the edge/bulk of the knife, and I guess in the process, re-profile the end to match the rest (keeping it at one angle throughout, essentially "forcing" the tip to match)?

Do I change angle on the hard to reach part and just do that part at a different angle?

I have the knife touching the two pins on the depth key, do I ever raise the tip or rear of the knife to achieve a "non-horizontal/angled" mounting position, if that makes sense? That is the only thing i have never seen or tried, or is that taboo/noneffective?

Thx!

Noob: Setting Angle w/Sharpie/Marker? 10 months 2 weeks ago #14831

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 200
JDS wrote:
Ya, read about the tip being wider and might make sense as it's a pretty cheap knife.

I would like to correct a little info, the very tip does get hit at the edge, it's just the little part before the tip and forward of the main belly that I can't get. I'll post pics if I have further trouble (hope not, lol)This is a good idea post some pics.

So do I set the angle on the edge/bulk of the knife, and I guess in the process, re-profile the end to match the rest (keeping it at one angle throughout, essentially "forcing" the tip to match)? Yes

Do I change angle on the hard to reach part and just do that part at a different angle? No. There are some very expensive knives out there that you change angles on but I would think you would probably know if you had one?

I have the knife touching the two pins on the depth key, do I ever raise the tip or rear of the knife to achieve a "non-horizontal/angled" mounting position, if that makes sense? That is the only thing i have never seen or tried, or is that taboo/noneffective? This is a very good rule of thumb. It is advanced WE sharping to change this? This is why a pic would be good! By the way you are doing the right thing asking for help! We were all new at one time so no one minds helping on this board. Remember to just have fun! I forgot that for a few weeks and that was just plain silly! Cause I do this to relax. ;) :)

Thx!
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
Last Edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by EamonMcGowan.

Noob: Setting Angle w/Sharpie/Marker? 10 months 2 days ago #14940

• JDS
  • Senior Boarder
So I did some more reading and saw a post explaining that putting the tip down can help get the front of the knife better. I did a test with the knife angled tip-down and now I can get to the edge throughout the entire blade. It even passes the "Horizontal Positioning Test" (front to back positioning)... ie: the marker is removed from the middle and parallel to the edge.

Does this angle look weird or too extreme? Would you sharpen it like this?

Should I need to be angling it so much on an average sized folder or you think i'm doing something wrong?

Thx as always!

20131129_013105ReSize4.png
Last Edit: 10 months 2 days ago by JDS. Reason: Pic Prob

Noob: Setting Angle w/Sharpie/Marker? 10 months 2 days ago #14941

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 392
Personally the only time I use that technique is when I Can't do it the regular way due to the grind of the blade... When I do What you are suggesting, it is normally when I Can't clamp it in the middle of the blade and rather have to clamp it near the handle side, then I'll tilt it downward. I would think the way you have it set would change the angle slightly, but I'm no geometry guru lol. Basically you want your stone to be as perpendicular to the edge as possible. But if your getting good results, why not keep doing it?! ;-)

Noob: Setting Angle w/Sharpie/Marker? 10 months 2 days ago #14942

• JDS
  • Senior Boarder
Ya, seems to be passing the marker tests but looks like a weird angle to me. It's not a funky blade or anything which makes me think i'm doing something wrong. But when it's horizontal I just cant seem to get to the edge on that little part of the tip?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds