Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Scary sharp

Scary sharp 1 year 1 week ago #14446

• toomzz
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi there,

Last night I sharpened my Gayle Bradley Spyderco folder. It is a fabulous custom collaboration in CPM-M4 steel. M4 is not stainless but a very tough steel.
After setting up the knife in the WE, I walked through all the stones, from 100 all the way up to .6 MFC.
Between each stone I blackened the edge again with the felttipmarker to be sure I hit every part of the edge with the following stone. I decided to give the blade a 32 degrees inclusive edge (16 per side)
When I was done there was no need for stropping anymore. That knife is DANGEROUSLY sharp now.
I have been sharpening my knives myself for almost 20 years with the Spyderco sharpmaker and I am not considering myself an expert, but I have never made a knife this sharp.
Next step will be to purchase a stropblockset or two to finish the job (mirrorlook B) ). I am totally convinced now that purchasing that WE was a good choice!

:silly:
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

Scary sharp 1 year 6 days ago #14447

• DARRELLALLEN
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
I couldn't agree more................LOVE, LOVE, my WEPS PP2........:woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

Scary sharp 1 year 6 days ago #14448

• JackMontrose
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Yep, you caught the bug.... :side:

Scary sharp 1 year 6 days ago #14449

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 200
toomzz wrote:
Hi there,

When I was done there was no need for stropping anymore. That knife is DANGEROUSLY sharp now.
I have been sharpening my knives myself for almost 20 years with the Spyderco sharpmaker and I am not considering myself an expert, but I have never made a knife this sharp.
Next step will be to purchase a stropblockset or two to finish the job (mirrorlook B) ). I am totally convinced now that purchasing that WE was a good choice!

:silly:

I know that moment when the grin goes from ear to ear! :woohoo:

Just a thought? You might check out the Ken Schwartz line of product for strops? A guy can get really fancy with his line paste and sprays! And the complete line up through WEPS?
When in doubt I will call Bob Nash and have him walk me through?
www.oldawan.com/
Have fun and welcome to the clubhouse!!
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: toomzz

Scary sharp 1 year 5 days ago #14457

• toomzz
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Yep, definetely grinning :)

The saga continued last night. A friend of mine came by for dinner and he always carries a Caly 3,5 in VG10 steel (Spyderco). I have the the same knife, but in Aogami super blue. First we sharpened his VG10 in 19 degrees, second the Aogami in 17 degrees. Both knives are sick-sharp now :P Can you imagine I even didn't try stropping yet? :pinch:

Especially those more special steeltypes are a treat on the WE. You can totally enjoy all the fine properties those steels have to offer. It is a matter of pushing the limits of steepness of the angle ;)

Cool side, oldawan, is the kangaroo and nano-cloth his WE-contribution?

Scary sharp 1 year 5 days ago #14465

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 200
toomzz wrote:

Cool side, oldawan, is the kangaroo and nano-cloth his WE-contribution?

No. He is just a dealer for WE. But he does offer other goodies and just a fountain of information!
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds