Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Can't get the bevels even!

Re: Can't get the bevels even! 1 year 3 months ago #10379

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 135
The upgrade arms have almost zero play, they are smooth like butter.

There is a secondary, fine adjust screw with no detents (dimples). This moves the arm itself closer to the vice.

The main screw on the bar does have detents. It moves the whole "block" assembly that the arms are mounted to.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Can't get the bevels even! 1 year 3 months ago #10694

• FedWayJohn
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I thought I’d post a follow-up to the issue I was having with getting uneven bevels. I watched one of Clay’s sharpening videos,the one were he sharpens a Benchmade 940 Osborne then push-cuts a telephone book with it. In the video, he talks about sometimes having to grind through to the other side of the bevel to get an even edge geometry.

I’ve been using the Sharpie trick and I took this to mean sometimes grinding away the ink on each side of an edge that has uneven geometry can result in one bevel being larger than the other. By getting to the apex on one side by grinding through to the other, in these situations, you should end up with a proper edge geometry.

I have a new Sebenza 25 I recently sharpened due to a mediocre factory edge. Trying to match the existing bevel, I ended up sharpening to 22°. It was sharp, but not slicing quite like I wanted and the bevels weren’t even, so I decided to reprofile to 17°, 34° inclusive. Using the Sharpie/loupe again, I paid close attention to how even the bevels were as I went along. While I didn’t have to grind all the way through from one side to the other, I did have to do more work on the one side opposite the side with the remaining ink. As a result, I was able to get some pretty even bevels and a nice sharp edge. I say pretty even because I’m still not completely satisfied, but they are as even as any other knife I’ve done so far.

I’ve had the WEPS not quite a month, and there certainly is a learning curve, especially for a sharpening neophyte like me. But I am getting more comfortable and I am enjoying the sharpening. It’s a very engrossing activity. If anyone has any comments or opinions on what I posted, I’d appreciate the feedback.

B)

Re: Can't get the bevels even! 1 year 2 months ago #10991

• JillDufour
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
SamuelGabriel wrote:
I found I do it a bit, because of the technique I use. I use the 100's to do all of the edge setting and profiling of the blade, then work my way up the rest of the grits just for enhancing the finish of the edge and bevel of course. On a knife I haven't ever previously set, I grind just one side till I get a burr one the other side. Then I do the other side till I get a burr on the first side. Then I check the depth of the bevel on both sides and adjust as necessary till they are even, then move on to 200's and start alternating strokes. That way I get a perfect finish and razor sharp every time, and relatively quickly, depending on how bad the blade was to start with. I picked that method up from tips gleaned watching YouTube videos of Clay doing customer's knives.

I agree totally with this - and I always draw several little Sharpie marks perpendicular to the blade on both sides to make sure the bevels are even before starting the "alternating strokes phase".
Jill
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch

Re: Can't get the bevels even! 5 months 2 weeks ago #15753

• Geoff in Philly
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Jill, Can you please explain in more detail what you mean about the perpendicular lines?

Re: Can't get the bevels even! 5 months 2 weeks ago #15758

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 226
Another good method is to use a wide tipped sharpie and cover about a quarter of an inch on each side of the blade this is good to really help to see the bevel width especially if a thinning bevel is been added as well alcohol will remove excess ink after.
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds