Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Can't get the bevels even!

Re: Can't get the bevels even! 1 year 2 weeks ago #10332

• FedWayJohn
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hey all,

Thanks for all the replies! To answer a few of the above questions, I am right handed and I have used some material to fill the gaps, especially on knives like the Spyderco FFG's. I have some thin neoprene with an adhesive backing that works quite well for that purpose. Also, my clamps do not appear to be bent in any way.

I think I've come to a couple of conclusions since my original post; I've been relying too much on the clamp to get the blade perfectly plumb. I was also having difficulty discerning that by looking over the blade where it was clamped in. It all seemed to blend together and my 51 year old eyes were having some trouble. What I started doing yesterday was to eyeball the blade ahead of the clamp and that made a big difference. It was much easier to see and I think there was some play side to side, which would cause the uneven bevels. I also think I was applying to much pressure with my right hand, so I'm focusing on that as well.

I've done two more knives since yesterday, and both have been much better. Not perfect, but better. Now that I know what to look for, it should get easier moving forward.

Thanks again!

~John
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34

Re: Can't get the bevels even! 1 year 2 weeks ago #10333

• FedWayJohn
  • Junior Boarder
Hey Geocyclist,

On a few knives the bevels were uneven to begin with, but they wouldn't even out like I expected them to. On knives that did have even bevels to begin with, the right side bevel would always end up larger. You can see from my post above that I think I've sorted it out. I think the biggest thing is that I need to pay more attention to all the things going on, and not relying so much on the machine to just clamp the blade in perfectly plumb every time. I've been so focused on the blade edge and reaching the apex that I got a little case of tunnel vision. Hopefully things will improve from here on out.

Thanks for the reply,

~John

Re: Can't get the bevels even! 1 year 2 weeks ago #10334

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
Glad you're getting it sorted, John. WEPS is a great tool. It isn't perfect (read - fool proof ;) ) but it isn't rocket science either. Most things that go wrong can be logiced through if you just step back and look at what's going on. And of course, most of us here have travelled the same paths so we can short cut the process more times than not.

BTW - I so get the "eyes" comment. ;) Some days I can't even follow the stone down the bevel. I'm learning to rely on "feel"

Ken
玉鋼
Last Edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by KenBuzbee.

Re: Can't get the bevels even! 1 year 2 weeks ago #10347

• Bill Sutherland
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
I've experienced the same problem. One thing I've done is to take my angle cube and zero it out on the WE base of the clamp and then attach it to the blade. I measure the right side of the blade and then the left side. I never have come out with the same measurement on each side. I'm not exactly sure why this would be and I haven't tried putting a chamois or something in the clamp yet but I will.

Re: Can't get the bevels even! 1 year 2 weeks ago #10348

• FedWayJohn
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Ken,

Yes, "improving" eyesight is yet another benefit of getting a little older. Doing it by feel sounds great. I've given up for now trying to work the stones like Clay does. :P

Bill, I also zero the cube out on the base before every sharpening session. It usually stays at zero from the previous time out, but sometimes it does require zeroing. One thing I have noticed is that once I get the stones set with the cube, they are rarely at the same point on the rail. It's one reason I started turning the arms around and relying solely on the cube to set the angles. It's a very handly little tool and I can see using for other tasks as well.

Re: Can't get the bevels even! 1 year 2 weeks ago #10357

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
FedWayJohn wrote:
Yes, "improving" eyesight is yet another benefit of getting a little older. Doing it by feel sounds great. I've given up for now trying to work the stones like Clay does. :P

True story! ;)

Don't give up. Just remember, no matter how many knives you sharpen, Clay's done more. (well, that and he's a young whipper-snapper ;) )

Ken
玉鋼
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

Re: Can't get the bevels even! 1 year 2 weeks ago #10359

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 102
FedWayJohn wrote:
.............One thing I have noticed is that once I get the stones set with the cube, they are rarely at the same point on the rail. It's one reason I started turning the arms around and relying solely on the cube to set the angles. It's a very handly little tool and I can see using for other tasks as well.

The reason for this is the left vice is fixed. The right side moves further down the rail the ticker the blade is. Bottom line, the angle cube is king.

If your right arm is that strong try lightening up. In most case (no necessarily so for strops) the lighter the pressure the better the results.

One other shot is to rotate the WEPS 180 degrees so the tip of the knife faces you. You get better visibility, but I don't think I have the coordination to sharpen this way. :P

Re: Can't get the bevels even! 1 year 2 weeks ago #10364

• FedWayJohn
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Geocyclist,

It's funny you mentioned the deal about the left side of vice being fixed. I found a video on youtube today that explained that very thing, and it makes a lot more sense now. The video suggested compensating, depending on the knife, by moving the arm out a degree on the movable side, using the angle cube to confirm the settings, of course.

I've been working on keeping pressure equal with both arms and seem to be getting better. At first my left arm felt really clumsy, but it's more coordinated after 10 knives or so. I had considered turning the machine around, but having the blade tip facing me was a little unnerving. lol

Do you use the dimpled, preset side of the rail to set the arms, or turn the arms around and use the flat side and the angle cube?
Last Edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by FedWayJohn.

Re: Can't get the bevels even! 1 year 2 weeks ago #10376

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 102
I have the upgrade arms, so it sound like you have the regular arms. From what I have read and seen on line, if you want infinite adjustment (the point of using the angle cube) you would flip the bar to the non dimple side. Still with the dimple side the angle cube is useful to see where you are on each side.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FedWayJohn

Re: Can't get the bevels even! 1 year 2 weeks ago #10378

• FedWayJohn
  • Junior Boarder
I do have the regular arms. Do the arms you have work the same, with the dimples, etc? The picture on the website show the bearings they use, and shows the allen wrench being used on the arm itself, but outside of that I'm not sure how they differ from the regular arms.
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds