Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance

TOPIC: Base Rod Design

Base Rod Design 1 year 10 months ago #6450

• FredHermann
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 41
This may seem dumb but after a few knives the dimples on the base rod make me wonder. I'm primarily using the PP1 setup, still waiting for the PP2 one. So with the angle gauge it almost seems I need to adjust the rod sliders in between dimples to get even angles on both sides. This leads me to believe Im either doing something wrong or maybe the dimples need sanded to a smooth groove.
I know they help when not using the angle gauge but they seem limiting with it.
Sorry for babbling, I'm just tossing out a thought to see how you deal with this.
Thanks in advance!
“On one otherwise normal Tuesday evening I had the chance to live the American dream. I was able to throw my incompetent jack*ss of a boss from a fourteenth-story window.”

Owen Pitt – Monster Hunter International
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Base Rod Design 1 year 10 months ago #6451

• Billabong
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 49
FredHermann wrote:
This may seem dumb but after a few knives the dimples on the base rod make me wonder. I'm primarily using the PP1 setup, still waiting for the PP2 one. So with the angle gauge it almost seems I need to adjust the rod sliders in between dimples to get even angles on both sides.

It seems the dimples will can never be precise on the "right hand side" as the thickness of the knives you will be using is variable.
The left side is fixed, the right side moves.
The only way to have the right side dimples accurate is to have the crossbar move with the clamp. (I have some design thoughts about this)

Many people rotate the bar so you have a flat surface for the screws to bind against.
Replace the screws so they have a flat face, or flatten your original screws.
Then use the angle guage, ignore the degree marks and dimples.

edit - Big trouble in little China fan, hey?
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by Billabong.

Re: Base Rod Design 1 year 10 months ago #6468

• FredHermann
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 41
Thanks, I fiddled with the setup and I probably will continue, just like all of us. I think we're all modders at heart.

And yes, 'Big Trouble in Little China' is one of my guilty pleasure movies....

:)
“On one otherwise normal Tuesday evening I had the chance to live the American dream. I was able to throw my incompetent jack*ss of a boss from a fourteenth-story window.”

Owen Pitt – Monster Hunter International
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds