Re: New Arms Shroud 2 years 1 month ago #4878

• wbeatty
  • Junior Boarder
  • Woosah
  • Thank you received: 4
I smell a new logo here... Im not sure which I like better

For the uninitiated thats "Trojan Man"
Attachments:
A lot of what we do is insignificant. But it is very important that we do it right - Mahatma Ghandi

Inside of a ring or out, ain't nothing wrong with going down. It's staying down that's wrong.

Muhammad Ali
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: New Arms Shroud 2 years 1 month ago #4879

• wbeatty
  • Junior Boarder
  • Woosah
AND ..... WERE OFF
A lot of what we do is insignificant. But it is very important that we do it right - Mahatma Ghandi

Inside of a ring or out, ain't nothing wrong with going down. It's staying down that's wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Re: New Arms Shroud 2 years 1 month ago #4886

• AnthonyYan
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
"A finger cot (also finger stall, informally finger condom) is a medical supply used to cover one or more fingers in situations where a full glove is unnecessary.
"Finger cots have a wide range of specialized applications in a variety of industries apart from health care. In electronics manufacturing (e.g., the manufacture of semiconductors), finger cots are used while handling sensitive components to prevent contamination. In the watchmaking industry they are used to keep delicate watch parts from being contaminated with grease and skin particles and also in art conservation and restoration, to protect works of art from the skin's natural oils, which can have corrosive effects over time."
--Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_cot
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by AnthonyYan.

Re: New Arms Shroud 2 years 1 month ago #4889

• wbeatty
  • Junior Boarder
  • Woosah
Only one word comes to mind

COUGH!!

Muhammad Ali

Re: New Arms Shroud 2 years 1 month ago #4890

• Mikedoh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 125
Since aesthetics have now been thrown out the door . . . .

I'd been thinking about covering the pivots with plastic cling wrap secured by rubber bands to the rods and just using the plastic wrap as a mini drop cloth on the WE as needed. Throw all away when done.

Just a thought
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Mikedoh.

Re: New Arms Shroud 2 years 6 days ago #6049

• DKamp
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I knows it's been a while but has anyone made any progress in finding something to protect the joint?!

Re: New Arms Shroud 2 years 6 days ago #6051

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233

The boot here looks like it would be great if the right size is located.
I haven't been able to do that.

Maybe you could take a look around? The more eyes looking the more likely we find something!

You could buy the entire joint in the link and try to pull the boot off... and fit it to your rod ends. I would love to hear how that goes!
My concern is being able to stretch the boot enough to install it without ripping it. As far as I can see this would be a problem with anything that you would get that would fit around the arms and the adjustment threads tightly...and still have enough room to cover the ball joint.

So far I have just been lubing them up with some synthetic lube (superlube) before sharpening, then wiping them down good with some 91% rubbing alcohol when done. The lube tends to keep keep abrasives out from between the ball and the housing ring pretty well. I have done at least 50 blades with the new joint installed and the joints don't seem to be any worse for the use. This is the main reason I have sort of let this slide.

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!

Re: New Arms Shroud 2 years 5 days ago #6068

• AnthonyYan
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
I'm also curious if anyone has tried one of the "rod-end boots"? It's been mentioned a few times in this thread, and there are links for where to buy it (such as eBay). Here is a company in Connecticut that sells them in several sizes. Looks like these are sold in packs of six.

www.sealsit.com/rodendboots.asp

It also seems that www.McMaster.com sells something similar, although it is designed for universal joints, rather than spherical rod-ends. They're called "bellows for universal joints."
www.mcmaster.com/#universal-joint-boots/=jr94tc

Sincerely,
--Lagrangian
Last Edit: 2 years 5 days ago by AnthonyYan.

Re: New Arms Shroud 2 years 5 days ago #6071

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
I looked at those, but they are the wrong configuration. The openings need to be at 90 degrees... two openings only and be flexible enough not to bind the movement of the arms. That third hole would be an ingress point for abrasives...and maybe worse, once inside, contaminants would just stay there until the boot is removed and the joint cleaned.

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!

Re: New Arms Shroud 2 years 5 days ago #6074

• Billabong
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 49
This will be something I want to solve, I'm still liking my cable gland shrouds/boots.
Last Edit: 2 years 5 days ago by Billabong.
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds