Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance

TOPIC: Rust Issues

Re: Rust Issues 2 years 3 weeks ago #3730

• DanClement
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Clay, I have attached two photos.
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Rust Issues 2 years 3 weeks ago #3731

• DanClement
  • Fresh Boarder
I think that I will give the alcohol a try. Probably would be better than the water and soap, thank you.

Re: Rust Issues 2 years 3 weeks ago #3732

• DanClement
  • Fresh Boarder
Good suggestion. Perhaps they were not as dry as I thought they were.

Re: Rust Issues 2 years 3 weeks ago #3734

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 610
Thanks Dan. I see what you mean. I'd be interested to hear the results if you try CBW's proposed experiment. Are they giving you any performance issues?
DanClement wrote:
Clay, I have attached two photos.
--Clay Allison

Re: Rust Issues 2 years 3 weeks ago #3737

• DanClement
  • Fresh Boarder
Clay, the diamond stones are working perfectly thus far. I assume the rust comes from the metal dust from the knives I am sharpening trapped in between the pores on the stones. I scrub the stones a lot so not sure what to do about that. Once suggestion was to use alcohol rather than water and the other to put the stones in the plastic holder in the sun to see if I get any condensation. I will try both and report back in a day.

BTW, I have never been able to sharpen a knife by hand. Your system has made me the envy of my family and friends. I am getting shaving sharp edges with a beautiful polished edge using the 1200/1600 ceramic and leather strops to finish the blades. Cannot thank you enough and am looking forward to being able to purchase the new guide rods.

Re: Rust Issues 2 years 3 weeks ago #3738

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 610
Dan,

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I don't clean my stones very often, maybe once every 30 knives or so. How often are you cleaning yours?
DanClement wrote:
Clay, the diamond stones are working perfectly thus far. I assume the rust comes from the metal dust from the knives I am sharpening trapped in between the pores on the stones. I scrub the stones a lot so not sure what to do about that. Once suggestion was to use alcohol rather than water and the other to put the stones in the plastic holder in the sun to see if I get any condensation. I will try both and report back in a day.

BTW, I have never been able to sharpen a knife by hand. Your system has made me the envy of my family and friends. I am getting shaving sharp edges with a beautiful polished edge using the 1200/1600 ceramic and leather strops to finish the blades. Cannot thank you enough and am looking forward to being able to purchase the new guide rods.
--Clay Allison
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds