Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance

TOPIC: What should I be doing to clean my WEPS stones?

Re: What should I be doing to clean my WEPS stones? 1 year 9 months ago #6330

• FredHermann
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 41
Eww, avoid playing with acid.
Consider, even if you are being safe, they can give off caustic fumes that can mess up things in the same area. I once used hot vinegar for etching, left it in a cruddy old crock pot, and forgot about it for 2 days. This was out in a corner of my garage. All my tools on that side of the garage rusted. The mower rusted. Heck the door springs rusted. So...if you insist on using acid as a cleaner, you cannot spend too much time researching.

In an earlier post, someone mentioned using an old eraser. I tried it, and it worked pretty well. I used the old tan gum type, not the red rubber ones. I also have a large version of this made to clean belt sander belts. Cheap, safe, and cheap.

Just my .02
“On one otherwise normal Tuesday evening I had the chance to live the American dream. I was able to throw my incompetent jack*ss of a boss from a fourteenth-story window.”

Owen Pitt – Monster Hunter International
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: What should I be doing to clean my WEPS stones? 1 year 9 months ago #6331

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 142
+1 I don't think any cleaning solution is require, or at most something mild. Stones don't get "dirty" the pores just get clogged up. Water and tooth brush/mild scrubbing pad is normally fine. Erasers also work.

My fear with anything too caustic is it would weaken the binder.

Re: What should I be doing to clean my WEPS stones? 1 year 9 months ago #6336

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
On the diamonds I have just used hot water and a stiff finger nail brush. They clean up quickly and completely.
On my cermic hones (non-WEPS) I just use whatever kind of kitchen cleanser I have around... make a bit of a paste with water, put it on, let it sit for a few minutes, then hit it with the same nail brush. They are not brand new looking when I get done, but plenty close. The biggest thing is that they seem to cut just fine when I am done.

Phil

Clay, I have had the edit tools go missing myself... Often I just toggle "compatibility mode" on/off in IE 9...and refresh the page to bring it back.

I have also spent half an hour or much more composing a reply...pressed the "submit" button...and had it all dissappear. It has happened so often, from several different machines, that I have taken to copying my reply and saving it to a Word document, before daring to hit submit...
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by PhilipPasteur.
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds