Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance
  • Page:

TOPIC: Oil on stock diamond stones... your thoughts?

Re: Oil on stock diamond stones... your thoughts? 2 years 3 months ago #3529

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 649
mark76 wrote:
Have you got any idea what the base of the diamond plates is made of? I usually use a liberal amount of water to clean them, but that might not be the best idea...

The base material nickel plated steel. I also use water to wash the stones and haven't had any issues w/ rust but I live in a VERY dry place. With all the pushing and shoving of the diamonds into the base plate, it wouldn't be surprising to have the diamonds puncture through the plating. I imagine that moisture can get into any imperfection in the nickel plating and rust the steel underneath.
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Oil on stock diamond stones... your thoughts? 2 years 2 months ago #3533

• BassLakeDan
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
mark76 wrote:
... wouldn't it be better to let it rust away? The debris just fills the space between the diamonds, which makes the plates less effective, I'd guess.

You might be on to something there, that is an unconventional but very interesting idea. I once made a post in another topic thread about the possibility of cleaning ceramic stones with acids, which is the same methodology, whereby you use reduction chemistry to your favor ( eat the 'bad stuff' and leave the good :sick: ) . Such an approach is safe with ceramics but there is danger here with the steel base.

Re: Oil on stock diamond stones... your thoughts? 2 years 2 months ago #3539

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 402
BassLakeDan wrote:
You might be on to something there, that is an unconventional but very interesting idea. I once made a post in another topic thread about the possibility of cleaning ceramic stones with acids, which is the same methodology, whereby you use reduction chemistry to your favor ( eat the 'bad stuff' and leave the good :sick: ) . Such an approach is safe with ceramics but there is danger here with the steel base.

Yes, that inspired me ;) . Soon after your post I ordered some oxalic acid (apparently also the/an active ingredient in Bartender's cleaning stuff), which came in the form of crystals that should be dissolved in water. It did... nothing. Then I did a PH test on various solutions and the stuff had a PH of... 7! So apparently not (oxalic) acidic. Then I got into an argument with the supplier of the stuff and after having been called names (my first experience in this with a webshop :lol: ) I managed to get my money back.

That was my attempt to obtain an acid for cleaning ceramics. Any ideas for other places where I might be able to obtain an acid that may helps in cleaning ceramics? Where I live this is quite restricted and I had no luck at drug stores or pharmacists.
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by mark76.

Re: Oil on stock diamond stones... your thoughts? 2 years 2 months ago #3548

• BassLakeDan
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
mark76 wrote:

That was my attempt to obtain an acid for cleaning ceramics. Any ideas for other places where I might be able to obtain an acid that may helps in cleaning ceramics? Where I live this is quite restricted and I had no luck at drug stores or pharmacists.

humm.. I thought several suggestions was made in the thread at :Link here::

since it is late here tonight and I am lazy anyway.. I will just requote from there, with the additional information that I did try using distilled white vinegar in a crock pot and it took almost 36hrs (!) to clean a dirty Spyderco Ultrafine.. so battery acid would be a bettery way to go, BUT be very careful, it is very poisionous and the fumes can be explosive and hazardous. That was the reason that I never responded further to the thread nor did I add any details. Chemistry is not for everyone ;) Here is some from the original thread if you missed it..

"So acids are the ticket really for ceramics. Around the house you can find a ready source of H2SO4 in any lead acid flooded battery. Consult your local auto repair shop for a sample. Samples of other, much milder acids, like Oxalic Acid can usually be found in the formulations for espresso coffee machine cleaners. Sources of other mild household available acids would be distilled vinegar which is a source of Acetic Acid. It might be interesting to try an experiment with my dirty ceramics featured in the previous post. I will soak them overnight in a hot crock-pot slow cooker filled with some distilled vinegar. These reactions are accelerated by heat, so therefore the hot crock would be a good idea with the mild vinegar: (caution: never heat H2SO4 and attempt any of these experiments, results can be violent and dangerous!) "
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds