Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What grit/micron should I have mirror polish?

What grit/micron should I have mirror polish? 2 years 9 months ago #892

• t76turbo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Here is my lineup of available paddles....

100/200, 400/600, 800/1000, 1200/1600 ceramics, 3.5/5 micron paste on leather strops, and 3.5/5 micron paste on balsa strops.

I also have 1 and .25 micron sprays but I need to get another leather strop set to use it on.

I have done a few knives since getting the WEPS. I have gotten some pretty good results edge wise. But I just can't get the perfect mirror. I always have some residual hazing no matter how long I stay at each step or how I vary the direction. If I had a better macro lense I would take a pic but I dont. Just suffice to say the mirror is impressive to most folks but I know I can do better.

So how low do I need to go to get a perfect mirror finish? Or do I need to maybe work longer at some of the later steps? I thought I did enough but maybe not.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: What grit/micron should I have mirror polish? 2 years 9 months ago #895

• davidmcm77
  • Senior Boarder
  • Country must be country wide.
  • Thank you received: 14
From my experience (not with the WEPS yet)it has'nt become a real nice mirror finish till I got down to the 1u range.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick"
-Roosevelt

Re: What grit/micron should I have mirror polish? 2 years 9 months ago #915

• wickededge
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 648
Depending on how many knives you've sharpened, your stones may still be breaking in. During that process, they'll cut deeper scratches that will take longer to remove with the fine stones. You can spend more time with the ceramics and use a little soapy water with them and they'll polish much more quickly.
--Clay Allison

Re: What grit/micron should I have mirror polish? 2 years 9 months ago #919

• edhead35
  • Expert Boarder
  • Food, Guns, Knives, Music
  • Thank you received: 21
I am getting sort of a mirror finish with the 3.5 micron strops. Of course until you wear off the excess compound the strop just slides on compound, so that takes some time. I am also still seeing some remaining scratches from prior grits, so I am still in the process of wearing in the diamonds. I am about 15 or so knives in.

Re: What grit/micron should I have mirror polish? 2 years 9 months ago #930

• gofly
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I wonder if you can get rid of all the scratches with just the stones and then stropping?
Seems like the really polished edges are comeing from the water stones, and then under high magnification there still seems to be scratches.

Lucky
Lucky

Re: What grit/micron should I have mirror polish? 2 years 9 months ago #934

• wickededge
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 648
gofly wrote:
I wonder if you can get rid of all the scratches with just the stones and then stropping?
Seems like the really polished edges are comeing from the water stones, and then under high magnification there still seems to be scratches.

Lucky

Even with the finest Shaptons or Choseras, scratches are visible under the microscope. They should be very fine and uniform. Stropping helps to diminish them further, though they never go away completely. Once you think they're gone, you can just up the magnification and see the finer ones. Still, you can get pretty far with the stock stones and strops. Here is a knife that I sharpened with stock Wicked Edge stones and then stropped to .25 microns:

polishing6.jpg
--Clay Allison
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds