Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: serrated blades

serrated blades 3 years 1 week ago #722

• atlbrv405
  • Fresh Boarder
Any news on the serrated blade attachment(s) for the WE? My mother-in-law used a glass cutting board with her wusthof bread and tomato serrated blades, and the teeth are destroyed. I recently bought her a bamboo board so I hope that this will prevent any further damage to her knives. I would like to see if I can save both knives as the bottom part of the serrated teeth appear to be bent over to the non-serrated side of the knife blade. Do you guys/gals know a way of sharpening them without a special attachment(s) to the WE or a product that will sharpen them correctly?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: serrated blades 3 years 1 week ago #723

• jendeindustries
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
Depending on the size of the serrations, you may be able to get the corner of the WEPS stones and plates in the grooves/arcs.

I know the added height of the Choseras and Shaptons will get in there, but it really does beat up the stones, and I personally question if it's really worth it.

The best thing to do (IMO) is to sharpen the knife as if it were not serrated - it will still get the tips of the serrations sharp. Odds are the insides of the semi-circles are still somewhat toothy.

DO you have a picture of the actual knife?
Tom Blodgett
Jende Industries, LLC

My Blog: jendeindustries.wordpress.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch, atlbrv405

Re: serrated blades 3 years 1 week ago #724

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 210
Good advice Tom! That is what I do(WEPS) with my Spyderco Harpy. I do the deeper inner grooves with an old brass, round Gerber diamond rod. I have had the Harpy for nearly 20 years and it is scarily sharp. You are right about the serrations playing hob with the Chosera stones. I tried those left over pieces you sent me and they work well but to their detriment.

Leo
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell
The following user(s) said Thank You: atlbrv405

Re: serrated blades 3 years 1 week ago #725

• atlbrv405
  • Fresh Boarder
The serrations seem pretty large... I was thinking about just sharpening the non serrated side has a regular knife as you mentioned and then try a round cermanic stone on the serrated side. I was scared that I would wreck the knife by only sharpening one side. Next time I visit her, I will bring the knives home with me and upload some pictures.

I thought I read somewhere that Clay was working on a serrated blade attachment. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Thanks for your replies!
Last Edit: 3 years 1 week ago by atlbrv405.

Re: serrated blades 3 years 1 week ago #727

• edhead35
  • Expert Boarder
  • Food, Guns, Knives, Music
  • Thank you received: 21
On other systems, you would just drop the angle really steep (<10 degrees), and sharpen the back side. I would love to see something similar for the WEPS

Re: serrated blades 3 years 1 week ago #731

• Razoredge
  • Senior Boarder
  • Cutthroat Sharpening
  • Thank you received: 8
OK, This is just a quick off-the-top-of-my-head idea. What about a hard felt paddle to do the inside of the serrations? You could use any of the pastes/sprays that you wanted and the felt would conform to the many diffrent types of serrations out there. I think I may just have to try this. Time to order some blank paddles. :)

Re: serrated blades 3 years 1 week ago #734

• edhead35
  • Expert Boarder
  • Food, Guns, Knives, Music
  • Thank you received: 21
I was also thinking from a youtube video where the guy built a homemade system, we could cut v grooves in blank paddles and use round files, stones, diamond files, and dowels with pastes
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch

Re: serrated blades 3 years 5 days ago #742

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 691
This is a very good idea and not too far off the device we're working on now (still TOP SECRET) If I can find the right supplier for one component, we should be putting them out by the end of this year.
Razoredge wrote:
OK, This is just a quick off-the-top-of-my-head idea. What about a hard felt paddle to do the inside of the serrations? You could use any of the pastes/sprays that you wanted and the felt would conform to the many diffrent types of serrations out there. I think I may just have to try this. Time to order some blank paddles. :)
--Clay Allison

Re: serrated blades 3 years 5 days ago #748

• Razoredge
  • Senior Boarder
  • Cutthroat Sharpening
  • Thank you received: 8
That means I get the first one right? :cheer:

Re: serrated blades 3 years 4 days ago #751

• atlbrv405
  • Fresh Boarder
I was thinking that I would have to try and do something with some blank paddles...I will buy some diamond files and do some expertimenting when I receive my WE. I have my 1200/1600 paddles now; just wanting for the rest!

Thanks everyone for your ideas.
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds