Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Asian v\s European v\s Tri bevel convex sharpening

Re: Asian v\s European v\s Tri bevel convex sharpening 2 years 3 weeks ago #5015

• JerrieBarber
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
O. K. folks if you would like, I have sharpened the Hinderer using the "Allison" technique shown on the Sebenza video. I was already at 15 degrees so I mounted back up and re-beveled at 19 degrees then by degree worked my way back down to 15. I used the micro fine WEPS ceramic and only used the white side which is .6 micron. I used about 50 strokes per side per degree. Once I was back to 15 degrees I used strops 5 micron, 3.5 micron (which came with the pro pack I, then moved on to the 1 and .5 micron dtrops. I know that I was going backward but I wanted to gently blend the facets of each degree. I added one step to Clays technique which is probably over kill but I came back out to 19 degrees and stropped again with the .5 micron and viola for only the third time in my life I whittled hair. I will be putting this through the paces over the next several days to see how the edge holds up.
I hope to get some pictures up ASAP.
Proverbs 27:17, As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34

Re: Asian v\s European v\s Tri bevel convex sharpening 2 years 3 weeks ago #5017

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
Thanks for the update,,,, sounds like you know what you're doing! I think working from the high to low angle results in less metal removal... If you go low to high you're constantly removing metal from the edge, and would also have to create a bigger bevel to fit the next one in. Going low to high is done if you just want a micro bevel at the very edge. What you did in this post sounds about perfect... there is some evidence in Clay's microscope pics that stropping at the sharpening angle, in your case 19 deg. rounds the edge over (this usually translates to, "the edge lost its bite"), so you may want to watch for that.

Looking forward to pics and to how it performs... this is the info that always interests me. :)

Thanks!

Re: Asian v\s European v\s Tri bevel convex sharpening 2 years 3 weeks ago #5018

• JerrieBarber
  • Junior Boarder
[attachment:1]IMG_1543.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment:2]IMG_1550.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment:3]IMG_1545.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment:4]IMG_1547.jpg[/attachment]

Re: Asian v\s European v\s Tri bevel convex sharpening 2 years 3 weeks ago #5020

• JerrieBarber
  • Junior Boarder
Anyone have any suggestions on posting pictures? As you can tell the last group did not post at all. Per chance is there a limit on pixels?

Re: Asian v\s European v\s Tri bevel convex sharpening 2 years 3 weeks ago #5027

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 649
JerrieBarber wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions on posting pictures? As you can tell the last group did not post at all. Per chance is there a limit on pixels?

There is though I'm not sure what it is. I'll check with our webmaster to find out. I resize mine to 1500px wide and that works great.
--Clay Allison

Re: Asian v\s European v\s Tri bevel convex sharpening 2 years 3 weeks ago #5034

• razoredgeknives
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 381
Thanks for the update Jerry! May I offer you a suggestion on posting pics? Get a gmail account, then sign up for Picasa web albums. Sign in and upload your pictures. Then you can post them... send me a pm w/ your phone number if you want I'll walk you through it - its super easy after you do it the first time and you get a gig of online storage for free. You can post some different size pics... as below.

From Large:

To Small:

CBW, I think you are exactly right... in fact, it may be worth its own thread - discussing the finer points of convexing and which technique is best :D I have not convexed too many blades, and haven't done any of my own because the method of going from low to high seems to remove more metal than necessary. On the few I have done I wend reverse, like Jerry, from high to low - but you have to be careful here not to use too low of a grit (which I have learned the hard way, lol). The magic marker trick really seemed to help me here to ensure that I was shaving a little bit of the edge off at a time, on each new facet. The issue I ran into was that I would develop inconsistant "magic marker" widths on the edge of the edge for some reason... I will try to post about it at some point.

No doubt for the most consistancy the original method is better... but it just seems to remove too much metal. Clay, you have any thoughts on this at all? I still want to play around w/ mounting a mouse pad and some PSA lapping films to a WE paddle! :D But for whatever reason, I stay WAY too busy, lol. Always seems as if I have a project going on... especially hard w/ 4 young kiddo's! Anyone else "project" oriented constantly? :silly: :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds