Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Emerson folders

Re: Emerson folders 1 year 11 months ago #4713

• zig
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
WayneReimer wrote:

It didn't chip, however, and it restored perfectly with the above progression. I would like a bit more toothiness on that knife, so the next sharpening I will got to 1000 grit, but only strop with the 5 micron strops. I think that may give me the perfect combo for this knife; really sharp with enough tooth to bite into whatever surface I'm cutting

Just a thought, a twist on how I do convex .. redoing the highest angle with a 1000 for a few passes.

In your case, go to your toothy grit, say 1000, then dial back a degree or 2 for the strops. Theory is you'll miss the very edge.

In my mind it says it will work and you won't see the less polished degree or 2 but have your bit.

All in theory mind you.
www.zbsharpening.com
Knife Sharpening Service
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
908-635-2748
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Emerson folders 1 year 11 months ago #4717

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 610
zig wrote:

Just a thought, a twist on how I do convex .. redoing the highest angle with a 1000 for a few passes.

In your case, go to your toothy grit, say 1000, then dial back a degree or 2 for the strops. Theory is you'll miss the very edge.

In my mind it says it will work and you won't see the less polished degree or 2 but have your bit.

All in theory mind you.

I agree Zig and this is an edge configuration that I really like though I think you might need to back off more than two degrees to make it work. I've been doing experiments in the last two days in which I've backed off as much as 5 degrees and was still hitting the edge. The Emersons are harder than the metal I was using, so maybe 3 degrees or so will do the trick for you. If you have a loupe, you might start at -3 degrees from the edge and monitor your progress.
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds