Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Favorite progression

Favorite progression 2 years 1 month ago #4580

Hey guys I'm new here I just got my WE a couple of days ago and so far I've had good results. I got the pro pack 1 and the 1200/1600 ceramics. My question is what is your favorite progression or what progression leads to your favorite edge? So far I like the 1000 grit edge the best. I'm not asking for scientific just what do you like and why. Thanks and I can't wait to hear what you guys have to say.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Favorite progression 2 years 1 month ago #4592

• WayneReimer
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Hi there!
When you say you like the 1000 grit finish best, what
Sort of knife, and what application?
For me, my preferred edge varies considerably
From knife to knife and depends a lot on the job I'm
Doing with the knife

Re: Favorite progression 2 years 1 month ago #4595

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 402
Welcome to the forums, Alex! I think you made an excellent choice.

As to your question, this has been discussed in many topics. If you use the search function (not the box in the top right, but the tab Search), you can search for them. But generally spoken the question is what is the best edge for the particular job. For some heavier tasks where you do a lot of slicing (like cutting up boxes) you don't want a very refined edge and some toothiness helps. For other tasks where you do mostly push cutting (shaving being an extreme example), you want a very refined edge.

Re: Favorite progression 2 years 1 month ago #4598

Sorry if this has been covered and thanks for the help with the search. I'm new to this so I'm still not sure how all of this works but to answer your questions most of my knives are used for edc or in the kitchen. In both cases my personal preference is for a little tooth. On the WE again I'm new but so far the 1000 grit stone followed by the balsa strops with the 5 micron paste has been my favorite all round edge it's refined enough for some push cutting but still has some bite for slicing. I haven't had a chance to try the waterstones or the HA sprays yet so I don't know about them but for what I have right now that is my favorite. I was just curious about what you guys like. Thanks again and please bear with me while I'm learning.

Re: Favorite progression 2 years 1 month ago #4613

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
No reason to be sorry, you never know until you ask (and/or use the search function)

I know this has already been said here in this thread, but the answer is, it depends. For an EDC I do pretty much what you do, except I usually go with the 800/1000 Chosera stones after the diamonds. I then use 6 and 3 micron diamond paste on leather followed by 1 and 0.5 micron mono diamond spray on leather. The Chosera stones smooth things out a bit and really start to get to that mirror edge that lots of folks want.

When my OCD kicks in and I am just trying to see if I can pass the hanging hair test and make the edge as bright and shiny as I know how, I add to the above with the 2000 and 3000 chosera stones then the 5000 and 10K choseras. Recently I got some 10K 12K Super Stones and some 15K Shaptons. I have added those in on a ZDP 189 Endura (really makes the edge pretty)> This I strop as before, but add 0.25 micron and 0.125 CBN on balsa and 0.125 CBN ansd 0.1 micron diamond on Kangaroo, and finally 0.050 and 0.025 micron diamond on Nano Cloth.

What does that get me... satisfaction and a real pretty edge. It will tree top arm hair and (sometimes) pass the hanging hair test, usually push cut limply held toilet paper. Seeing that I don't shave with my knives, the edge is pretty impractical especially for the time it takes to do it. Open a box or two, cut some rope, and that "perfect" edge no longer does most of that stuff.
:)

So... my favorite progression is dependent on what the latest stuff I got to play with and how anal retentive I decide to be with a given blade.

To sharpen for what you want to do with your blades, it sounds to me like you have a pretty good progression. As you have money and time, you may want to play with additional abrasives to see if you get improvements for your specific applications. The bottom line is, if you are happy with the edges that you are getting, then your progression is just fine.

BTW, I think the guys were just trying to let you know that there have been some discussions on this before so that you could see what others have said on the subject in the past... not to blow you off!!

Here are some good threads:
This one sort of pulls together a buch of other threads on the stock stone progression

wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_k...=6&id=1824&Itemid=63

Our (one of) local stone Guro Tom Blodgett posted this on his blog. The proof is still in how you like the way your knives cut, but this shows what the stones do on a microscopic level:

jendeindustries.wordpress.com/2012/02/12...oscopic-progression/

Clay has also done some great photomicrographs of different progressions. This is more on stropping, but fascinating just the same:
wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_k...=2399&Itemid=63#2431

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by PhilipPasteur. Reason: added links

Re: Favorite progression 2 years 1 month ago #4616

Wow! That's a lot of interesting stuff there and thanks for taking the time to put in the links. I can understand what you mean by OCD. So far tree topping hair is something I can do but hanging hair or toilet paper seems impossible. I would love to be able to pass the hanging hair test but I probably wouldn't want to use the knife. Do you notice a big difference in the HA or CBN sprays and the WE pastes? Because I was thinking of trying the kangaroo strops next but I was wondering what compound to get.
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds