Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How not to reach for your angle cube!

Re: How not to reach for your angle cube! 2 years 1 month ago #3355

• BobNash
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
Man Dennis - :ohmy: sorry to hear about that :(
Thanks for stepping up to share though to get the rest of us thinking about our setups so we don't do the same thing!
Bob
Some of the edges I've sharpened on the WE
www.oldawan.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
505-570-2040 (mobile and office)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How not to reach for your angle cube! 2 years 1 month ago #3356

• BobNash
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
BassLakeDan wrote:
I know there are trade off in dextarity and comfort, but Kevlar gloves are used regularly in production areas where sharp knives are in use. Here is one for only $19.95. There is some controversy as to how well these things actually protect against very sharp blades, but you can always give one a try and see what you think.. There are many manufactures of these things and I am sure a Google search would reveal many options.

If anyone finds a *great* one, maybe they could report back here. Thanks -Dan

I'm curious too. I've had a number of folks tell me about these gloves but I've never tried them. Anyone out there have some experience with them. I've heard you can grab a blade and yank it away from someone - only hearsay though....
www.oldawan.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re: How not to reach for your angle cube! 2 years 1 month ago #3363

• zig
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
ONly down side I can think of on the glove idea is feeling. For instance, my fingers are always touched the edge bor bur and general smoothness, also feeling the edge after wipedowns.

On a grinder I do gloves as you have a good chance of it getting grabbed, especially when polishing.

I hate taking goves on and off.

Just my 2 cents.
www.zbsharpening.com
Knife Sharpening Service
908-635-2748

Re: How not to reach for your angle cube! 2 years 1 month ago #3364

• DennisHibar
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
I'm with you here Zig. As hard as I try, I have a hard time imagining using the WE while wearing gloves ... though, I would like to see some first hand reports. For me .... I can say with a good deal of conviction .... that I have learned my lesson. The minor nicks I received in the past were not enough to impact me like this last one. Now ... it is everything to the front of the unit and always double check where my hands are in relation to the mounted blade! I have even take cue from someone in an older thread, where a magazine or something like that was tented over a mounted blade if it was not actively being worked on. I just uses an envelope (the flap drapes nicely over the blade) to cover the blade if I take a break from sharpening.

My knives (updated 7/26/2014)
Dennis in PA
The following user(s) said Thank You: zig

Re: How not to reach for your angle cube! 2 years 1 month ago #3369

• BruceGuignard
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
For me, I am likely to be less careful with gloves, so the benefit would be negated.

Also, I place something like a shoebox over my WE when I have a knife in it anytime I leave it unattended.

Re: How not to reach for your angle cube! 2 years 1 month ago #3374

• BassLakeDan
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
mark76 wrote:
... was thinking of getting one for use with my oyster knife.

that's very interesting. are you talking about an oyster shucking tool ? if so, they are really more a screw-driver than a knife. in that case the glove is more to protect your hand against the oysters shell, which has many grainy points across its surface. after shucking a couple of dozen you will really know the meaning of "hot spots" :cheer:

If we are talking about the classic oyster tools here then there is a whole technology and science and a number of engineered products to protect yourself against 'screw driver stabs", like what you might self inflict with that instrument. Kevlar is only one (and a poor) solution to the problem: other designs are based on the physical properties of a material most of use are familiar with as kids, and that is 'silly-putty'. static agglomeration of particles under pressure from the behavior of non-Newtonian fluids is actually quite fascinating and is the mechanism that makes these stab proof garments work; if you are a materials science junkie like I am then check out this link
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by BassLakeDan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BobNash

Re: How not to reach for your angle cube! 2 years 1 month ago #3378

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 358
No, I was talking about the "classic" oyster tool, so I need something to protect me against stabbing. In fact, I was considering to get this oyster knife, but I eventually didn't get it, since it is *really* sharp. The thought of stabbing myself with that one... brrr.

I just ordered a kevlar glove, so I'll let you know how well it works against cuts and stabs.
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by mark76.

Re: How not to reach for your angle cube! 2 years 1 month ago #3385

• BassLakeDan
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
mark76 wrote:
No, I was talking about the "classic" oyster tool, so I need something to protect me against stabbing. ..
I just ordered a kevlar glove, so I'll let you know how well it works against cuts and stabs.

Great! Let me know how you like your Kevlar Glove.. About the oyster knifes, I think it must depend on what species of oysters you have. I look at that knife that your linke to and, to be honest, I have never seen one like that out here where we are in the USAs Pacific Northwest. I spend many happy days on the Oregon Coast each summer, and of course oysters are 'da-bomb' out here. I shuck the ones I eat, they are live, and maybe that makes a difference, but no sharp tool is required. I use one of these

and the "professional shuckers" at places like this use the same type of dull screwdriver type tool. I have watched them shuck hundreds and hundreds an hour at tables like this and never have observed anyone sharpening the tool.

OysterFarmsYaquina_River, Newport Oregon

Shucking Table:
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by BassLakeDan.

Re: How not to reach for your angle cube! 2 years 1 month ago #3386

• BobNash
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
mark76 wrote:

I too look forward to hearing how it works for you to protect against cuts. Like Zig and Dennis I would not like to work in them as I also feel the blade a lot during my work, but for some people they may work great...
www.oldawan.com

Re: How not to reach for your angle cube! 2 years 1 month ago #3420

• Deputy115
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Maybe this will help answer some questions about the gloves... and a few other things

justnet.org/standards/glovescpl.html

www.nij.gov/topics/technology/body-armor...liant-stab-armor.htm
The following user(s) said Thank You: BobNash
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds