Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New Knife Database

Re: New Knife Database 2 years 2 months ago #3133

• holymolar
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
How are people determining the "recommended angle" of these knives? Is it their personal preferences or something that is more objective?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: New Knife Database 2 years 2 months ago #3139

• eatyourroadkill
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
i always have tried to get the manufacturer's feedback on the factory edge angle but that is not always possible.

i am comfortable trusting the suggestions of anybody who has purchased a WEPS and is participating on this forum since they are likely much better at sharpening then i am !
EDI Genesis (ATS-34), Benchmade Osbourne 940 (S30V), Benchmade Snody 220 (154CM), Gerber Mark II BA2 (440C), Buck Vantage (S30V), SOG Visionary 1 (VG-10), SOG X-Ray Vision (VG-10)

Re: New Knife Database 2 years 2 months ago #3140

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 353
How are people determining the "recommended angle" of these knives? Is it their personal preferences or something that is more objective?

For me it is at least in part personal preference. I often follow the manufacturer's angle. That is relatively easy for me, since I have a goniometer. However, sometimes I sharpen the knife to a sharper angle. This may be because the manufacturer set a very obtuse angle on it. For example, I have a Becker BK16 that was sharpened to over 30 degrees per side). In some cases I also think the knife can handle a sharper angle. For example, I always try to sharpen a sujihiki (Japanese slicing knife) to as sharp an angle as possible.

Re: New Knife Database 2 years 2 months ago #3141

• BassLakeDan
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
mark76 wrote:

For me it is at least in part personal preference. I often follow the manufacturer's angle. That is relatively easy for me, since I have a goniometer. However, sometimes I sharpen the knife to a sharper angle. This may be because the manufacturer set a very obtuse angle on it. For example, I have a Becker BK16 that was sharpened to over 30 degrees per side). In some cases I also think the knife can handle a sharper angle. For example, I always try to sharpen a sujihiki (Japanese slicing knife) to as sharp an angle as possible.

Mark,

Right, I think this is an issue with the database. In my estimation the database needs THREE more columns for each entry:

1.)
I would like to see a "comments section" so that we can leave comments regarding the entry we make to the database for a particular knife. I think 500 characters in a little box might be a good idea. A little space for user comments would be enough.

2.) Username of the contributor of the data and

3.) Usage Intent of the sharpen, i.e. kitchen use, axe wood chopping, EDC, etc..

To give you an example about why I think this is necessary is my own case in particular. When the database was announced I thought "Gee that's a neat idea, and I have at lest a dozen knives that I can put in there.." Then when I looked over the database I realized that I could put in none of them, because it would confuse anyone looking at my entries. My CRK Sml Sebenza is a perfect example. This knife comes with a factory convex. Clay has a video on how to sharpen it with a modified taper grind. I have done mine with a standard V grind. So we need to be able to list all these possible "option grinds" in the database with a brief narrative in a comment box of each possible choice. If I was to just "plunk down" my V grind data with no explaination, it would make no sense whatsoever to someone scanning over the database.

Just my 2 cents

Re: New Knife Database 2 years 2 months ago #3142

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 609
Dan, great suggestions, I'm passing them along to the webmaster to see if we can include them. Thank you.
BassLakeDan wrote:
mark76 wrote:

Mark,

Right, I think this is an issue with the database. In my estimation the database needs THREE more columns for each entry:

1.)
I would like to see a "comments section" so that we can leave comments regarding the entry we make to the database for a particular knife. I think 500 characters in a little box might be a good idea. A little space for user comments would be enough.

2.) Username of the contributor of the data and

3.) Usage Intent of the sharpen, i.e. kitchen use, axe wood chopping, EDC, etc..

To give you an example about why I think this is necessary is my own case in particular. When the database was announced I thought "Gee that's a neat idea, and I have at lest a dozen knives that I can put in there.." Then when I looked over the database I realized that I could put in none of them, because it would confuse anyone looking at my entries. My CRK Sml Sebenza is a perfect example. This knife comes with a factory convex. Clay has a video on how to sharpen it with a modified taper grind. I have done mine with a standard V grind. So we need to be able to list all these possible "option grinds" in the database with a brief narrative in a comment box of each possible choice. If I was to just "plunk down" my V grind data with no explaination, it would make no sense whatsoever to someone scanning over the database.

Just my 2 cents
--Clay Allison

Re: New Knife Database 2 years 2 months ago #3145

• mark76
  • Administrator
In my estimation the database needs THREE more columns for each entry

I agree the fields you mention would be useful, particularly a comments field, which can be used for anything the standard fields do not support.

That said, I think the main advantage of the database is the recording of the position of the knife (depth and alignment). I hope everybody records those settings that result in as little angle change as possible at the tip of the knife.

All of the other fields record either fixed information about the knife (length, steel, etc.) or, as you rightly remark, information that is to some extent subjective.

Re: New Knife Database 2 years 2 months ago #3147

• TonyPettersen
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
its a bit light on Fallkniven on the present time as that is the majority of my knives :P
id love to know what Alignment`s people are using :)
im nothing but a hone-dog

Re: New Knife Database 2 years 2 months ago #3148

• mark76
  • Administrator
Hey Tony,

Just added the A1 to the knife database ;) .

This is no easy knife to sharpen, though. But I managed :cheer: . You can read the entire story on my blog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TonyPettersen

Re: New Knife Database 2 years 2 months ago #3158

• TonyPettersen
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
that one had had you thinking ;)
a side by side goniometer pic of original edge and new edge would be interesting.

any thoughts on the differences in technique on each side? :)

have anyone sharpened the Idun? i have a B alignment im not totally happy with
im nothing but a hone-dog

Re: New Knife Database 2 years 2 months ago #3162

• mark76
  • Administrator
I'll try to post some more pictures when I get to it.

When I had posted my blog the edge was basically 13 degrees on one side and 14.5 degrees on the other side. This was no problem: it shaved arm hair.

However, I wanted a truely symmetrical edge, so I have now put a symmetrical 15 degrees per side microbevel on the edge. It still shaves arm hair :cheer: .

In hindsight: if I have to maintain a fully convex knife again, I'll start with stropping only. If the edge is just a bit dull, that should be enough. However, as I wrote, the A1 had a small microchip, so in those cases you'll have to use the stones.

You've probably read it already, but here is a good article on finding the right position for your knife in the vise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TonyPettersen
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds