Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Edge angles, having problems...

Re: Edge angles, having problems... 2 years 10 months ago #272

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 206
Tom/Jende is pretty close to perfection when it comes to sharpening. And he plays a mean clarinet to boot. LOL!

Leo
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Edge angles, having problems... 2 years 10 months ago #284

• dgriff
  • Senior Boarder
  • My order # was 2375. Now shush, I'm sharpening!
  • Thank you received: 19
firechef wrote:
Okay, so get an angle cube (whatever that is!)from Amazon...I don't understand the hole side vs. the non hole side...I don't understand the abbreviations and lingo just yet. I'm just starting out, and still learning. I do agree with you, Leo, WE's customer service is one of the best I've ever worked with!! Thanks again!~F~
The Angle Cube is a bit of a misnomer, cause it's not really a cube. :silly:
The instrument measures angular displacement from a reference, in this case the angle of the stones with respect to the vertical line that runs from the edge of the knife through the spine. Just ordered one, and in fact received the 'just shipped' email a few minutes ago. Now if only WE would email me...:lol:
The bases have holes on one side with which to mount the frame and keep it from walking around (should it want to).

Re: Edge angles, having problems... 2 years 10 months ago #285

• CAWalter
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
The instrument measures angular displacement from a reference, in this case the angle of the stones with respect to the vertical line that runs from the edge of the knife through the spine.

There are a number of different makes of inclinometers, but all should be able to be set/adjusted to zero. Using one on the stones/paddle gives an indication of balance in the set-up. We might assume the blade is vertical in the jaws, but should really check that first, as it is tightened. I simply use a square with folding knives, and check both sides of the handle when folded at 90 degrees to the blade, against the base. This gives a fairly good indication that the blade is vertical. Additionally the inclinometer can be held against both sides of the blade itself to check for an equal number. Make sure the base reads zero, or is level. Then of course the bevel can still be off it we don't pay careful attention when stoning to keep the margin relatively equal. The WE does give the OCD a great opportunity to exercise itself.:lol:

CAW
Last Edit: 2 years 10 months ago by CAWalter.

Re: Edge angles, having problems... 2 years 10 months ago #286

• leomitch
  • Administrator
For CAWalter
An excellent summary of the various points to take into account when setting up the knife to be sharpened. As you say, lots for the person who has OCD to play with. :woohoo:
One of the problems I found with the Angle cube/inclinometer is that the face is not lit for easy reading of the angle...thoughtfully they have given the user a 'hold' button so you can pull the cube away so the setting can be easily read. I think though my ancient peepers are the problem here, most others will be able to see the reading on the face of the gizmo with their younger eyes. ;)
The magnetized sides of the cube are so great! I use the angle cube for all my angle settings now without the need of reading the degree scale on the WEPS. I just mount the cube on the paddle, lean the paddle against the knife edge and slide the collar of the arm along the settings rod until the cube gives me the angle reading I want...then I just tighten down the screw and do the other side the same. I find my work has improved. When I am done, I check the angles with my digital protractor/goniometer to see how accurate my effort was. Two great tools plus the magic WEPS.

Cheers
Leo
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell

Re: Edge angles, having problems... 2 years 10 months ago #292

• NeverDull
  • Fresh Boarder
The angle cube is a great addition. The height of the blade edge and thickness of the blade can vary where the right side paddle lines up as the left side is in a fixed position. Using the angle cube (~$25 amazon)you can ensure precise matching angles and repeatability. I keep a log for all my private knives of hole location, lineup on the guide, angle, azmith if any etc. Talk about OCD....

Re: Edge angles, having problems... 2 years 10 months ago #293

• jendeindustries
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
leomitch wrote:
Tom/Jende is pretty close to perfection when it comes to sharpening. And he plays a mean clarinet to boot. LOL!

Leo

:blush: Aw, Shucks, Leo :blush: Thank you for the kind words, my friend!

The side with the holes I referred to earlier are the dimples or notches that are found on one side of the wings that extend from the blue base of the WEPS (that the arms and paddles screw into). These correspond with the degree markings on the top of the wings. You can either switch the arms around so that the screw tightens from the smooth side of the wings, or take the unit apart and flip the wings around so the holes are in the "back" when you tighten the screws.

The guide holes are a no-nonsense, simple start method, and really cut down on the math and fiddling with the ever-present .05 degree variance on the angle cube :whistle:

But like I said, I'm a propeller head. Here's a link to some of my work.. I can't push cut phone books like Clay, but I try. :silly:
Tom Blodgett
Jende Industries, LLC

My Blog: jendeindustries.wordpress.com

Re: Edge angles, having problems... 2 years 10 months ago #295

• leomitch
  • Administrator
OCD maybe, but I am going to try some of that. It is all very well to be intuitive as I am wont to be, but I am getting enough knives in my collection now that my memory is starting to bother me. Record keeping is where it's at mate! Good for you.

Leo
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell

Re: Edge angles, having problems... 2 years 10 months ago #297

• Dmlevitt
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Great progression and pics in the link!
"In our time, political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible." Orwell

Re: Edge angles, having problems... 2 years 10 months ago #298

• jendeindustries
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
Dmlevitt wrote:
Great progression and pics in the link!

Thanks!

It dawned on me that I actually don't have any "macro" pictures of my edges, only micro :cheer:

I do have one little story to go with the pictures from that link (just to be a little off topic) - After I finished the 10K Chosera, I was looking at the bevel to make sure I got all the swarf cleaned off before I took it out of the clamp, and I saw a pair of eyes looking at me in the mirrored reflection - and they weren't mine! I nearly jumped out of my skin.

When I turned around, there was no one there except for one of my daughter's Barbie dolls (Flynn Rider to be exact) sitting on the table. He was watching me the whole time! :blush:
Tom Blodgett
Jende Industries, LLC

My Blog: jendeindustries.wordpress.com
Last Edit: 2 years 10 months ago by jendeindustries.

Re: Edge angles, having problems... 2 years 10 months ago #299

• komitadjie
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Well, I've heard of the "Ghost in the Machine" before... I think you finally got a polish high enough to spot the "Ghost in the Blade" :D
"Sometimes you have fun, sometimes the fun has you!" -- Sgt. Schlock
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds