Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Wicked Edge lapping films and aluminium blanks?

Re: Wicked Edge lapping films and aluminium blanks? 2 years 3 months ago #2370

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 352
DennisHibar wrote:
What I have been doing is using a a set of strops that I nicked really badly and taping 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper to them to use while awaiting my ceramic paddles. Originally, I had been taping the sandpaper to my 800/1000 paddles.

I do the same. I have sandpaper up to P2500 grit. You should note however that the grit sizes of the sandpaper do not match the ANSI system sizes used by Wicked Edge. For example, the finest sandpaper I have, P2500, has a particle size of about 8 microns, which is about equivalent to the Wicked Edge 1000 grit stones. Sandpaper is very handy for stropping convex edges. I use it on leather, as you do, and I might try to make a neoprene-backed sandpaper strop to emulate the "mouse mat and sandpaper" method for sharpening convex edges.
leomitch wrote:
Here is a source for 3-M lapping sheets 8.5x11. There is a good variety of grits. Take a look. This is where I got mine. Good folks here!

Thanks, Leo! I'll probably order some lapping sheets from them soon. Sandpaper works fine at lower grit sizes, but it comes nowhere near the 0.3 microns at which lapping sheets are available,. And lapping sheets are apparently impossible to get in Europe. Do you mount these lapping sheets to stones or strops?
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by mark76.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Wicked Edge lapping films and aluminium blanks? 2 years 3 months ago #2371

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 299
I would definitely be interested in some lapping film w/ a sticky back and some blanks... anyone know where we can get & assemble the materials? (obviously I know the blanks from WE). I am mainly interested in lapping film 1 micron and less as I already have the 5k/10k choseras. The issue I have w/ the strops is that they are VERY slow working... even after a fresh paste/spray. I am hoping to post 230x photos soon to show what I mean.

Re: Wicked Edge lapping films and aluminium blanks? 2 years 3 months ago #2372

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 608
razoredgeknives wrote:
I would definitely be interested in some lapping film w/ a sticky back and some blanks... anyone know where we can get & assemble the materials? (obviously I know the blanks from WE). I am mainly interested in lapping film 1 micron and less as I already have the 5k/10k choseras. The issue I have w/ the strops is that they are VERY slow working... even after a fresh paste/spray. I am hoping to post 230x photos soon to show what I mean.

For the lapping film, Tools for Working Wood. We'll start carrying them soon enough as well. I'm very interested in seeing your results at 230x.
--Clay Allison

Re: Wicked Edge lapping films and aluminium blanks? 2 years 3 months ago #2373

• babo
  • Expert Boarder
  • veritas vos liberabit
  • Thank you received: 8

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
Jesus Christ and The American G.I.
One died for your soul, the other for your Freedom.

Re: Wicked Edge lapping films and aluminium blanks? 2 years 3 months ago #2382

• KenSchwartz
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
I do offer diamond lapping film going from 165 microns up to 0.1 microns. I can bring these over to the WE platform for those interested. I have found that I get more precision from these films if they are mounted on glass over the blanks and can do this for the WE.

Anyone interested? I have about 15 grits inbetween the 165 and 0.1 micron range. In a few instances, I also have several formulations that are either more robust or delicate depending on your requirements.

I also offer these in 1x6, 2x6 and 3x8" sizes.

---
Ken
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch

Re: Wicked Edge lapping films and aluminium blanks? 2 years 3 months ago #2383

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
Thanks for that Ken.
I did some searching and could not find an email address for you. How would one get in touch with you?
I have checked out your blog in the past and seen your pagges at Chefsknivestogo. But no email found.

Thanks,
Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Wicked Edge lapping films and aluminium blanks? 2 years 3 months ago #2385

• KenSchwartz
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
PhilipPasteur wrote:
Thanks for that Ken.
I did some searching and could not find an email address for you. How would one get in touch with you?
I have checked out your blog in the past and seen your pagges at Chefsknivestogo. But no email found.

Thanks,
Phil

ksskss at earthlink dot net - I'll send you other contact info from there (skype, phone, etc)

---
Ken

Re: Wicked Edge lapping films and aluminium blanks? 2 years 3 months ago #2392

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 299
I'll try to get those pics up today... Clay, I would love to see your results with the lapping film tape as compared to the strop if you ever get time to run them through the mill lol.

Re: Wicked Edge lapping films and aluminium blanks? 2 years 3 months ago #2393

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 608
razoredgeknives wrote:
I'll try to get those pics up today... Clay, I would love to see your results with the lapping film tape as compared to the strop if you ever get time to run them through the mill lol.

Hey Josh,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll put it on the list of to-dos. Sounds like fun!
--Clay Allison
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds